Politics Coronavirus

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I'm not sure what there is to like about that @Moriath, people may well cark it, they are likely all minimum wage Eastern Europeans, it could become a problem like Leicester.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I'm not sure what there is to like about that @Moriath, people may well cark it, they are likely all minimum wage Eastern Europeans, it could become a problem like Leicester.

A like from Moriath means it's passed the censors.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Perhaps the 'informative' button is what you are looking for - just sayin'
Was the one i picked at the time. Usually info is for when its something that helped me. But whatever. Also the post was started with yay... without a wink or anything signifying sarcasm. So i went with it.

if you dont want things to be taken as they are typed add context. With autism its hard to differentiate yay good from yay sarcasm especially in text.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Was the one i picked at the time. Usually info is for when its something that helped me. But whatever. Also the post was started with yay... without a wink or anything signifying sarcasm. So i went with it.

if you dont want things to be taken as they are typed add context. With autism its hard to differentiate yay good from yay sarcasm especially in text.

ok @Moriath , I hear ya, and fair enough (y)

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
And there lays the insanity.
They are going to have to return to lockdown everytime someone sneezes.
So, i have friends working in hospitals whom have witnessed of some rather grueling scenes. Usually they have capacity to handle dead bodies and are used to it to some extent, but this was somewhat bad. They said it was traumatizing, “like a war scenario”, didn’t have enough storage for em.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
My personal opinion is that if you choose to travel this year from the UK then you have no one but yourself to blame.... Especially as the UK government was flip flopping on safe countries to travel to ie this isn't the first time they have given a short timeframe to implement quarantine... Additionally from what I understand from those returning there are no real checkups on quarantine when you return ....

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
My personal opinion is that if you choose to travel this year from the UK then you have no one but yourself to blame.... Especially as the UK government was flip flopping on safe countries to travel to ie this isn't the first time they have given a short timeframe to implement quarantine... Additionally from what I understand from those returning there are no real checkups on quarantine when you return ....
I know someone who flew back from china a few weeks ago and people would call them at home to make sure they were there

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I know someone who flew back from china a few weeks ago and people would call them at home to make sure they were there

I dont have a home phone...so not if they are like me then that's not a very effective method of checking

Gwadien

My problem with is the logistics of it.

You've got up to 210k British people hurrying back to the UK via probably 3-4 major places (chunnel, dover, and other ports).

They're coming from all over France and going to all over the UK, it just seems that's the ideal situation for a virus.

Surely it would make more sense to say if you're already in France, you have a week to get yourself back and you can skip the quarantine, if you're going there right now and intent to come back before that week period then you'll have to go into quarantine.

Giving people 24 hours to panic is utterly stupid tbh.

Also, why aren't we following them locally and issuing quarantine for people who have visited particular areas where it is particularly high?

and Yes @Yoni I agree, it's stupid to go on holiday right on (especially abroad) but I guess the need to go on holiday reflects what life is like in the UK.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
My problem with is the logistics of it.

You've got up to 210k British people hurrying back to the UK via probably 3-4 major places (chunnel, dover, and other ports).

They're coming from all over France and going to all over the UK, it just seems that's the ideal situation for a virus.

Surely it would make more sense to say if you're already in France, you have a week to get yourself back and you can skip the quarantine, if you're going there right now and intent to come back before that week period then you'll have to go into quarantine.

Giving people 24 hours to panic is utterly stupid tbh.

Also, why aren't we following them locally and issuing quarantine for people who have visited particular areas where it is particularly high?

and Yes @Yoni I agree, it's stupid to go on holiday right on (especially abroad) but I guess the need to go on holiday reflects what life is like in the UK.

You can still go on holiday within the UK.

Also those countries were at tipping point about a week ago so if people dont keep an eye on the stats then it's their own fault.

Gwadien

You can still go on holiday within the UK.

Yes, which is better than abroad as you don't usually use transport hubs to get there.
Distraction from exam results fiasco?

It's pretty nuts that if you have a super intelligent kid in the worst school in the UK their grades are going to be shit.

I mean it has always been a problem but this is pretty laid bare.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
No no no.

Slow to lock down is exactly what cost us additional tens of thousands of lives.

So you want to bring back a quarter of a million people back from France and say "skip quarantine"?

Have you learned nothing about virus transmission during this particularly apt time to learn about exactly that?

@dysfunction - I have sympathy with your position - that it's dumb to go on holiday at the moment. But I've just moved to my own holiday destination. If I was still holed up in Nottingham I could be very tempted, given the government said "it's fine, off you go".

(Although I'd simply have grabbed my tent and headed here...)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
No no no.

Slow to lock down is exactly what cost us additional tens of thousands of lives.

So you want to bring back a quarter of a million people back from France and say "skip quarantine"?

Have you learned nothing about virus transmission during this particularly apt time to learn about exactly that?

@dysfunction - I have sympathy with your position - that it's dumb to go on holiday at the moment. But I've just moved to my own holiday destination. If I was still holed up in Nottingham I could be very tempted, given the government said "it's fine, off you go".

Holidaying in a pandemic is always going to be dodgey and after spain changes a few weeks ago no one can claim to be surprised at this. They have been talking about increased virus to spain levels in france the last few days.

Gwadien

No no no.

No.

I'm saying it's stupid to give such a short time frame because then you're encouraging mass movements and contact.

Either give people time not to panic or you make it so the rules are immediate.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
To be fair that's exactly what they've done by giving people 36 hours to panic and come home early - "if you can get back before 4am on Saturday then you don't have to quarantine". What did they think was going to happen? Perhaps a better idea would've been to say "as of right fucking now, you have to quarantine" rather than giving people enough time to think they could get back if they ended their holidays prematurely and all hurtled towards the ports and airports.

The way they've done it does seem like the most effective way imaginable to actually bring the virus over The Channel.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
To be fair that's exactly what they've done by giving people 36 hours to panic and come home early - "if you can get back before 4am on Saturday then you don't have to quarantine". What did they think was going to happen? Perhaps a better idea would've been to say "as of right fucking now, you have to quarantine" rather than giving people enough time to think they could get back if they ended their holidays prematurely and all hurtled towards the ports and airports.

The way they've done it does seem like the most effective way imaginable to actually bring the virus over The Channel.
They were shouted at for no notice in spain. Now they are shouted at for 36 hours notice. Cant win tbh. Always gonna be some upset and i am with you it should have been immediate.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
No.

I'm saying it's stupid to give such a short time frame because then you're encouraging mass movements and contact.

Either give people time not to panic or you make it so the rules are immediate.
This seems sensible on the surface but think about it for a moment.

The danger is in France. It's (currently) in the French population. Longer exposure to the French population is the thing they're trying to limit - and you don't limit that by giving people a week.

The risk-determination is clearly "the longer brits are in france, the more of them will get it and bring it back - so the risk of potentially higher transmissions at a short-notice crossing between a low-infection population is lower than the risk of infection over an extended time from a higher-infection population to a lower-infection population.

Sometimes "panic" (or get the fuck out of there whilst attempting to observe social distancing as best you can) is the correct response.

Edit: Re-read your post - make the quarantine rule immediate but let people come back slowly? Nah. The response is "get the fuck out of there - now please".

The leeway on quarantine is a bit weird but lets not forget hard lockdown is harsh.

What they should be getting absolutely crucified for is not enough test-and-trace.

But people will vote tory...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Disagree.

The response they want is "get out of France - quick".

If they said "and you have to quarantine" then most people would say "well I'm going to finish my fucking holiday then".

So get out quick, and you don't have to quarantine is designed to achieve getting maximum people out of france as quickly as possible.

Being in France is the no.1 danger.

So you fix that and manage the fallout.

Entirely correct messaging IMO - if what you want to achieve is the highest amount of people leaving France in the shortest possible timeframe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom