Politics Coronavirus

Embattle

FH is my second home
Why did they actually have to use AI? Surely taking the word of the teacher and their coursework/exams for the current 19/20 year should have been sufficient?

While I question the outcome and method the results will be worthless without some form of moderation.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
As Ive always said.

Handy today ,compulsory tomorrow.
If a schoolchild downloads the covid contact app, pretty sure the teachers are going to have a hard time asking them to leave it in a locker or take it off them in class.
Its protecting my life sir.

Give it a year and .
'Where's you phone, you cant come to school without it.'

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Why did they actually have to use AI? Surely taking the word of the teacher and their coursework/exams for the current 19/20 year should have been sufficient?
They added the moderation cause the teacher predicted grades were 12% higher than last years.
how would last years students feel that if they had been this year they would have gotten a uni place that they didnt.
as it is the pass rate is stil, a few % higher than last year.
usually there are loads of disappointed kids who go to their second choice uni. But we dont hear about it cause exams are deemed fair.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Again i am not seeing any mention of the Independant Schools whos grades got boosted upwards. The way it is done is there has to be a ranking system so for all grades boosted up then an equal number need to be downgraded ( In theory atleast). Instead of focus and anger being on the issue of state school teacher's possibly over estimating a student, why is there no anger that a lot of children from the more advantaged schools have just been gifted an even bigger advantage (At the expense of the more disadvantaged children).

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Spoke to a teacher I know really well the other day. Smart cookie. It is indeed a joke what they've done.

HOWEVER: If you didn't get the grade you thought you deserved you can take the exam in the autumn. Add to that - if you do *worse* in that exam then you can choose to keep your higher estimated grade.

People should shut the fuck up about this IMO. If you can take an exam to correct it and have the luxury of choosing which grade you keep that's about as "fair" as it gets tbh.

As my mate teaches at a decent private school she's even got kids motivated enough to do the exam anyway as they see it as an opportunity to turn their perfectly acceptable A into an A*.

What a hard life eh?

So in the meantime you've had to put off going to uni for a year through no fault of your own? And because of the retarded way it's been done, the people most affected are the least likely to be able to afford to do that?

There was a girl on tv this morning who'd never had a single piece of maths coursework or homework below A in her life; she got a C. Because the algorithm makes no allowance for kids on the right side of the distribution curve in below average schools. And it did this 280,000 times. This is one of the most callous things I've seen from a British government and this the fucking Tories we're talking about. A new low.

DaGaffer

Of course it would. This year of all years. And if they were concerned about grade inflation skewing the stats just take 2020 results out; they should be doing that anyway.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Government has uturned. Surprise not.
doesnt solve the issue for those whose places are already given away by universities unless the unis can open up extra places.

DaGaffer

Government has uturned. Surprise not.
doesnt solve the issue for those whose places are already given away by universities unless the unis can open up extra places.

The unis hadn't confirmed anything yet - 7th Sep was the deadline for appeals anyway.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
This is true but if they have given places based on grades and oversubscribe as there are a certain number of students who missout this year and go through clearing then they may have issues but I have no idea how many that will be and the issues that they will overcome to ensure all students who have been promised a place based on certain grades gets their place - if they can cope then students will have to prove themselves as before. For alternate routes to uni other than A levels (ONC, HNC, HND etc) their results will be moderated by how well higher education is coped with as before and attain their uni place or not dependent upon their performance.

For GCSE students going on to do Alevels that were not expecting to do so they will be tested during the A level years. For those with good results who decide to do more vocational roles (not sure what these are anymore as I have employees from good universities in my AP and AR teams because ... everyone has a degree these days) but I will include those wanting to become certified and chartered accountants starting with AAC and CAT exams etc employers will have to rely on the interview processs and insist on passes for them to continue in employment as they used to do historically.

Embattle

FH is my second home
The results are going to be meaningless now, but probably no way they would have the time or resources to do any corrections.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
The unis hadn't confirmed anything yet - 7th Sep was the deadline for appeals anyway.
Many of the top universities have told students that their place isnt there any more Even if their grades are changed as they have filled the courses with other people. Prior to the u-turn. So now they have to decide to expand courses, find new tutors etc or just let the new students with revised grades go to different courses etc.

so the problem has just moved down the line one step.
too many with good grades and not enough places at uni to accommodate them

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin

hahahaha

It's such a shame it took so long.

I think the main reason why they didn't want to U-turn is because the Tory Conservatives were calling on the Scottish Education minister to resign when they fucked up and U-turned.

If Williamson doesn't resign now....

Job

Still no one explain what a top or better university actually is.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So in the meantime you've had to put off going to uni for a year through no fault of your own?
I hadn't paid much attention - I simply assumed that Uni's would simply give people a pass and let people in on their mocks or predicted grades, because mass grade changes like this would clearly be a shitstorm.

I stand corrected. It's way more of a clusterfuck than I realised.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

hahahaha

It's such a shame it took so long.

I think the main reason why they didn't want to U-turn is because the Tory Conservatives were calling on the Scottish Education minister to resign when they fucked up and U-turned.

If Williamson doesn't resign now....
So they bowed to public pressure and moved the problems down the line a little. Doesnt fix anything.

Job

So private schools actually get the predicted grades and state schools overestimate more.

So the algorith basically called them liars.

This is so much of an obvious shitshow, with such a predictable response that it can only have been implemented with the full knowledge of the charade to follow.
Are we suggesting the government..who basically bankroll these obscene cruise ships on land, cant pull them into line.

Obviously they can and we are just playing a game here.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
So private schools actually get the predicted grades and state schools overestimate more.

This is so much of an obvious shitshow, with such a predictable response that it can only have been implemented with the full knowledge of the charade to follow.
Are we suggesting the government..who basically bankroll these obscene cruise ships on land, cant pull them into line.

What?

DaGaffer

What the fuck are you talking about? It didn't say that at all.

Job

It said exactly that.
In the main part of the text.

DaGaffer

It said exactly that.
In the main part of the text.

No it fucking didn't. The teacher assessments were ignored altogether and a weighting applied only to larger class sizes. This is what comes of being a fucking moron who thinks he doesnt need to understand maths because Google will do it for him

Job

On A-levels, I'd assumed (as did my panel of educators on the radio on Saturday) that private schools had done better with the Ofqual algorithm simply because they had better track records of turning predictions into similar grades. But its so much worse than that...

They have better track records because of smaller classes.....
So the algorithm calls state schools with bigger classes liars.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I left school with zero GCSEs let alone A-levels*. It was a fairly shit school with a fairly average pass rate but there are doctors, scientists etc that, all went through the same system as me, before the U-turn they would have been lumped in with the plebs too. Taken as a whole it would have probably worked out OK in the long run, but it's people's lives we are talking about, not league position in a sports table.

*My fault, miss-spent youth and all that.

Job

The system is allready...oh shit already fucked.

The percentage of people coming out of uni after borrowing 30 grand from an increasingly clear...loan fucking shark..

with any kind of chance of using it to improve their earnings over non degree education or self esteem is vanishingly low.

Only 17% are likely to pay back the loan.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
So what you're saying is that the loan system works...in that those that end up with a qualification that pays enough for them to fall into one of the various repayment brackets, pay off their loan. Those that don't end up in a high salaried job, don't.

Seems a pretty good system if you ask me.

DaGaffer

On A-levels, I'd assumed (as did my panel of educators on the radio on Saturday) that private schools had done better with the Ofqual algorithm simply because they had better track records of turning predictions into similar grades. But its so much worse than that...

They have better track records because of smaller classes.....
So the algorithm calls state schools with bigger classes liars.

The algorithm didn't weight results from small class sizes, it took the teacher's assessment with no deviation, not because the teacher's assessment was inherently more accurate, simply on the basis of class size. You can't claim private school teachers were more accurate because in the main their classes had no weighting applied at all. Jesus, it's like talking to pond life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom