Politics Coronavirus

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
'The Coronavirus is slowly retreating'

I stopped reading there.

That's a shame, you might have learnt something about the miracles of the human immune system from a Professor Emeritus who's spent his life researching it.

Also a shame you missed the disclaimer at the top saying he was primarily discussing Switzerland and Europe in general - where the virus is in retreat. As you would expect a respiratory illness to do in summer at temperate latitudes.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Or...and wait for it, where we had/have an effective lock down in place :)

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Not in all countries .... it is in retreat here too ....

SilverHood

FH is my second home
BloodOmen, where do I get one?

No Corona virus deaths in NYC for 24 hours.... Still no indoor dining. Sidewalks and parking space outside restaurants has been set up with outdoor seating, but I'm not comfortable sitting down in public with no mask yet. Not getting on public transport either.

Some Europeans I know have had enough, they're bailing on the American dream and going back to their home countries. Can't say I fault their thinking.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

No Corona virus deaths in NYC for 24 hours.... Still no indoor dining. Sidewalks and parking space outside restaurants has been set up with outdoor seating, but I'm not comfortable sitting down in public with no mask yet. Not getting on public transport either.

Some Europeans I know have had enough, they're bailing on the American dream and going back to their home countries. Can't say I fault their thinking.
Record numbers in florida and texas tho ;)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter

Wish I knew :( best mask ever

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
California reversing all the relaxing.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Facemasks in shops to be mandatory from the 24th in England.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Simple antibiotics...or fishtank cleaner if you would prefer*

*not actual medical advice.

Bodhi

Yup! £100 fine if you don't wear one to be enforced by the old bill.

Old bill have already said being asked to enforce it will be "ridiculous", so chances are it will be down to the indivdual stores to police. As staff members don;t have to wear one, that's going to make for some interesting conversations.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Old bill have already said being asked to enforce it will be "ridiculous", so chances are it will be down to the indivdual stores to police. As staff members don;t have to wear one, that's going to make for some interesting conversations.
As always its police by consent and staff arent going to want to have those conversations. Its more likey to be peer pressure that makes this happen rather than anything else

Bodhi

As always its police by consent and staff arent going to want to have those conversations. Its more likey to be peer pressure that makes this happen rather than anything else

Awesome. So if you don't wear an entirely useless bit of cloth on your face to get a packet of smokes, you get shouted at by some Angry Karens?

Loving this new normal. You could almost call it a Brave New World!

Bodhi

Fashion bollocks gives me a headache at the best of times...

But it's getting daft now.

I prefer this one:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
an entirely useless bit of cloth on your face
Apart from your bit about "karens" (could you be any more of a sexist, right wing propaganda victim if you tried? Why would it be women who object/shout?) - the evidence is clearly mounting that, to slow airborne spread, face masks and coverings are effective.

It's countries with twattish leaders, like ours, that have problems with wearing face masks. Other countries have very good uptake rates, but ours, because of shit messaging from our tory overlords, is shite.

Of course, they could change that:
As of late April, mask-wearing was up to 84% in Italy, 66% in the US and 64% in Spain, which increased almost immediately after clear policy recommendations and advice was given to the public

So, A) they work and B) more factual evidence that tories are cunts.

Bodhi

Apart from your bit about "karens" (could you be any more of a sexist, right wing propaganda victim if you tried? Why would it be women who object/shout?) - the evidence is clearly mounting that, to slow airborne spread, face masks and coverings are effective.

It's countries with twattish leaders, like ours, that have problems with wearing face masks. Other countries have very good uptake rates, but ours, because of shit messaging from our tory overlords, is shite.

Why are you suggesting men cannot be Karens? Bit sexist no?

Anyway, I'm glad you value the opinion of experts in Demographic Science on the subject of how to stop communicable diseases, however in the medical world, there are currently no studies which show that using a cloth face covering does anything useful in terms of stopping infections. For instance a full medical trial in Vietnam found that cloth masks still allowed 97% of flu virus through.

If they were mandating medical masks I could see the point, kind of, ish. However consider they end up full of bacteria, mould and got knows what else, cloth masks are actually worse than useless.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

I didnt hear kier shouting from the roof tops for masks. Or any of the labour guys Really.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Why are you suggesting men cannot be Karens? Bit sexist no?

Anyway, I'm glad you value the opinion of experts in Demographic Science on the subject of how to stop communicable diseases, however in the medical world, there are currently no studies which show that using a cloth face covering does anything useful in terms of stopping infections. For instance a full medical trial in Vietnam found that cloth masks still allowed 97% of flu virus through.

If they were mandating medical masks I could see the point, kind of, ish. However consider they end up full of bacteria, mould and got knows what else, cloth masks are actually worse than useless.
Much like security checks for planes. It has a small effect but its mostly to make people feel safer to go into shops and spend money.

biggest thing is the assistants in the shops dont have to wear and you could argue that they are the ones most likely to fill the confind space with germs and virus.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Karen and Chad are the memes..white names of course.

But whatever.
Its racist...and bullying.
Let me call some thick ,loud black guy a Tyrone...see how that goes down.
Actually Im guessing the new memes going to be a Lewis as Hamilton dies on a pointless cross.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

We're going to have to do face masks because people cannot behave, simple as.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
No specs for the mask.
Just wear something, I mean you could just hold a sock against your face and all the perfectly legitimate scientific evidence of anything less than an N95 being more of a problem than its worth because of the false security they give and the issues with mask contamination and disposal.
People are buying one off masks ffs.
They end up as virus storage devices.
It just seems a bit strange that 100 years of advice has been turned around overnight.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
N95? what have Nokia pre-smart phones got to do with anything?! (great phone at the time btw)

It's fairly simple science, for the slow among us. The mask 'helps' stop water droplets (that contain the virus, if you indeed have the virus) from leaving your gob from normal breathing. It's not the panacea of virus suppression, it's not a cure. Nobody expects a mask worn for several hours to still be effective but for a quick 30 mins super market shop, it will do. Wear the fucking thing.

The virus is literally spread by bodily fluid, as in mucus and exhalation, both directly and on surfaces, one step down from airborne. You have to be a complete spaz to not minimise that risk, regardless of how stupid you think you look. Washing hands and wearing a mask is the least you can fucking do.

Yeah, sure some people claim Sweden have done it right, with a population of 64 per square mile, but that just doesn't fly in a country with 727 per square mile.

If you aren't wearing a mask, you're a fucking moron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom