Politics Coronavirus

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
No. You're trying to find a way to push the blame back onto immigrants...

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Go and read the fucking link I provided.

Published in Nature, 9th June.

It seems that actual reading (never mind comprehension (or critical thought)) is a bug that hasn't caught on round here much. Which is funny, considering it's a forum that relies on the written word...

I have read the fucking link you posted. Including pretty much the first line

Screenshot_20200705-170858~2.png

Looks like actual reading has caught on even less with you, never mind the critical thinking ability to trust anything that comes out of a computer model.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I don't think you need computer modelling to know that not interacting with other people leads to lower transmission of the virus, smaller strain on the NHS etc.

The aim of lockdown was to prevent the NHS getting overwhelmed. I actually think the government got lots of things right, building the nightingale emergency hospitals (that thankfully weren't really needed) shutting shops, bars, gyms etc down...they just did it far too late and then ballsed it all up anyway with vague, wishy washy messages and then undermining their own message. We locked down late, we tested late, we don't even have a proper tracking system in place, the on-going farce of the track and trace app, that still doesn't exist. None of those measures are full proof but they are better than literally nothing.

With population density as we have, I would hate to think what sort of situation we would be in now if we had acted like America has. UK 725 per M2, US 87 per M2

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
No. You're trying to find a way to push the blame back onto immigrants...
You are doing everything to push the blame away because you find it uncomfortable.
Wheres that happened before?

I would say its uneducated , thick people mixed with culture and house density.
Knowsley is a hot bed for it...
The benefits capital of Britain and also white as white, but also of poor Irish immigrant ancestory.
Bradford etc is full of immigrants living crammed into small houses.

Who's faults is that?
Is it our fault for not giving them bigger houses or theirs for banging out kids like a catholic.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Lol! You're going to blame Knowsley on Irish immigration?

I know both the areas very well - it's a function of poverty, not immigrants breeding.

Bodhi

Interesting research coming out of the University of Cambridge:

Still at the pre-print phase, but already there is a strong correlation between high COVID deaths, and milder flu seasons from 2018 to 2020.

In the UK, for example, there are about 20,000 excess deaths from influenza in a typical year according to Public Health England, however, there were only about 1,700 excess flu deaths in 2018-2019 and there is anecdotal and statistical evidence that the 2019-2020 flu season was also very mild in the UK, the paper says.

“This implies that there were over 30,000 people alive in the UK at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic who would have been expected to die in the previous two flu seasons. These people are likely to have been predominantly elderly and in poor health,” says the working paper, entitled “COVID-19 death rate is higher in European countries with a low flu intensity since 2018”

Amazing what you can learn by analysing data rather than GIGO Computer Models.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Comparing seasonal flu deaths without lockdown vs Covid deaths with lockdown isn't exactly valuable.

The vast majority of people with flu don't seek medical help, nor is it recorded. They just take a week off work and feel like shit. Only if people die or encounter complications and therefore need medical help is it recorded.

And yes, both mostly effect those with underlying health conditions but we generally know what we are dealing with regading flu, Covid was and still is a big unknown.

Bodhi

Comparing seasonal flu deaths without lockdown vs Covid deaths with lockdown isn't exactly valuable.

The vast majority of people with flu don't seek medical help, nor is it recorded. They just take a week off work and feel like shit. Only if people die or encounter complications and therefore need medical help is it recorded.

And yes, both mostly effect those with underlying health conditions but we generally know what we are dealing with regading flu, Covid was and still is a big unknown.

Not really what the study is saying at all, probably worth reading it and trying again.

Slight hint, it's working on the hypothesis that those countries with mild flu seasons for the preceding two years had a higher population vulnerable to COVID at the start of the epidemic, which in turn lead to poorer outcomes during COVID.

The insinuation there is that we should have done more to protect care homes and prevent cross infection in hospitals. If we'd done that, rather than quarantining the healthy and putting everyone under house arrest whilst it tore through the country's hospitals and nursing homes, we would be in a much better position than we are today - without the 3 months of communism and destruction of the economy.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Not really what the study is saying at all, probably worth reading it and trying again.

Slight hint, it's working on the hypothesis that those countries with mild flu seasons for the preceding two years had a higher population vulnerable to COVID at the start of the epidemic, which in turn lead to poorer outcomes during COVID.

The insinuation there is that we should have done more to protect care homes and prevent cross infection in hospitals. If we'd done that, rather than quarantining the healthy and putting everyone under house arrest whilst it tore through the country's hospitals and nursing homes, we would be in a much better position than we are today - without the 3 months of communism and destruction of the economy.

No that's your take on it.

We should have done a lot more for the more vulnerable people as well as having a lockdown for everyone.
How do people know how their body is going to deal with getting the virus and that they are "healthy" as you put it. You don't. End Of.

Job

Another example of how the government and police abandon public service workers, reduce them to one person and add on the job of policing without any training or backup.
From my experience they are quite happy to employ thugs to make sure you are buying a ticket....sweet fuck all to protect you or the driver.

The streets are unpoliced, the criminals have no fear and hard working people pay with their lives.

Bodhi

No that's your take on it.

We should have done a lot more for the more vulnerable people as well as having a lockdown for everyone.
How do people know how their body is going to deal with getting the virus and that they are "healthy" as you put it. You don't. End Of.

Except we did have the data on who was susceptible from Italy - so if we'd acted on that rather than Ferguson's bullshit model we'd be in a much better place right now.

End of.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Except we did have the data on who was susceptible from Italy - so if we'd acted on that rather than Ferguson's bullshit model we'd be in a much better place right now.

End of.

No not exactly because ordinarily you don't know if you are "healthy" enough to cope with the virus do you? Not until you've actually had it.

Wij

I am a FH squatter

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.

The sad thing is there are likely many unreported cases like this occurring. I can't tell if it's criminal or simply Darwinism at work.

Job

I'll have to say I'm slowly weaning myself off meat.
The main drivers being most of it is just disgusting munched up shite offal , asses, nerves, ligaments etc formed into something that barely resembles food.
Secondly is the industrilisation of animal breeding and death is just repulsive on the scale reqd to feed us...sucks out our humanity, yes nature kills billions everyday, but the inevibility of slaughter for billions of probably self aware creatures with such clinical industrial process just eats away at my conscience.

We eat almost entirely meat substitute and its far from 'healthy'.
But at least its not something that had a face.

Job

Similarities

Both COVID-19 and flu can result in complications, including:

Pneumonia
Respiratory failure
Acute respiratory distress syndrome (i.e. fluid in lungs)
Sepsis
Cardiac injury (e.g. heart attacks and stroke)
Multiple-organ failure (respiratory failure, kidney failure, shock)
Worsening of chronic medical conditions (involving the lungs, heart, nervous system or diabetes)
Inflammation of the heart, brain or muscle tissues
Secondary bacterial infections (i.e. infections that occur in people who have already been infected with flu or COVID-19)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Sounds like you don't eat real meat already.

If it comes in a cardboard box from Iceland then it should not be considered meat.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
"Animal product" then?

I probably won't be doing it - it's more likely I'll be rearing my own highest-welfare organic meat in the not-too-distant future.

However, kudos to anyone who tries to wean themselves off meat, or lower their consumption. It's good for your health, it's good for the environment and you remove yourself from being complicit in any animal welfare issues.

Well done.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Was a bit worried about this being on RawStory which isn't always 100% reliable but WaPo seems to have done more digging which largely confirms it:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom