Coming up.

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
And i never said i was against an UI altogether, i'm against mods that add stuff the default UI does not provide in an equally easy to read way.

So we shouldn't have mods because the default UI is crap and makes things tricky to find/read?

And i'm most certainly against mods that are REQUIRED for ANY reason... I don't care what your personal reason for mods are, because if mods are allowed we will see people demanding this or that mod to be installed before you get invited to a group or raid or even guilds if you are applying to a casual/semi/hardcore raid guild.

No mod is required for anything in WoW. The fact that people may demand it isn't the fault of the mod but the people. But then again if it's their group why shouldn't they be able to state what the entry requirements are? If people don't like it they're free to start their own group with their own entry requirements.

And i don't find the extremely few good mods to be enough of a counterweight to the hundreds of thousand of detrimental mods that will guaranteed pop up and that i will be more or less forced to use if i want to experience this or that content. :)

I'd argue that the situation is the other way round. By allowing modding you get lots of good mods with a few 'detrimental' mods thrown in. And again you're not forced to use anything to experience any content, well certainly not in WoW. Even a group or guild requiring you to say you have it doesn't mean you actually do, it's easy enough to lie and if you can manage what is required of you without it then noone will ever be the wiser.

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
In my opiniion mods are a contentious issue because even if you install mods that some other players don't want (like the battlegrounds commentry mod I had that called out in audio which side controlled which resource, for example) can give you a significant advantage.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
So we shouldn't have mods because the default UI is crap and makes things tricky to find/read?

Such as what exactly? I'm finding the UI in SWTOR to be quite good, but really ugly. But i haven't found anything that would make me want mods yet.

Well there is one thing, it's really awkward to heal because the group/raid frames are quite small and badly placed, but BW is fixing that when the UI update release.

No mod is required for anything in WoW. The fact that people may demand it isn't the fault of the mod but the people. But then again if it's their group why shouldn't they be able to state what the entry requirements are? If people don't like it they're free to start their own group with their own entry requirements.

Before Blizzard added their own threat meter, Omen (or similar) was most certainly a requirement and a must have, because as a DPS, if you weren't doing 95 - 99% of the MT's threat you weren't good enough or tried hard enough. Not to mention all those class specific mods.

I'd argue that the situation is the other way round. By allowing modding you get lots of good mods with a few 'detrimental' mods thrown in. And again you're not forced to use anything to experience any content, well certainly not in WoW. Even a group or guild requiring you to say you have it doesn't mean you actually do, it's easy enough to lie and if you can manage what is required of you without it then noone will ever be the wiser.

Look at Curse or wowinterface, how many of the mods there are good ones and how many are counterproductive for a healthy and friendly community?

Look at this one and disregard the fact that it says GearScore for a moment and look at what else it does.

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info12245-4.8.03b.html

Most notably this part.

Player Ratings - PlayerScore uses our online servers and custom anti-abuse technology to allow players to rate eachother on a thumbs up or down basis. This allows you to easily spot players who don't get along well with others or just plain suck.

That are the kind of mods that will, without a shadow of a doubt, be a big factor in SWTOR if/when mods are enabled.

It may not matter if you are in a guild and only do premades, but for people that pug it's gonna be a right nightmare if you meet the wrong person because it IS abused, and no amount of "anti-abuse technology" can prevent that.

And by telling a game developer that you want mods you are also telling them that it's ok to stop working on the default UI because "there will be a mod for it any way".. So those that don't want to use mods get stuck with whatever faults it has. Blizzard for example didn't update their UI in any significant manner for 3 - 4 years and even went as far as having to design boss content with certain mods in mind, something they are probably still forced to do.

Which again takes me back to people feeling forced to use certain mods even though they don't want to.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Mods do ruin games to a degree tbh... tho some of them are quite useful, like mods to open up all your bags as one big bag or even mods to keep track of whats on alts etc. The problem WoW had was the mods went unchecked for so long and the game ultimately got modelled around mods, look at the later game raid instances, no way in the creation of crows shit could you do those without a boss meter telling you when X ability was due, even if you were paragon or some crazy asian guild you'd still fail and heres the real brain wrencher, would WoW have evolved like it did if users didnt come up with the mods it did?

You could do very early game instances without the use of boss mods - MC you could do without boss mods, BWL you could do without boss mods (aslong as everyone had Ony cloaks which by that point they should have), ZG and AQ20/40 you could do without boss mods - Naxx, probably couldnt do naxx without them as thats where it really started to brick wall raid guilds.

rynnor

Rockhound
I imagine Blizzard thought it was all great at the start as it added more customisability to their game but I'm damn sure they regret it now. By having rampant mods they effectively lost control of a chunk of their game and theres no easy way back for them now they have balanced raids v mods.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
All sorts of whines on the official forums by people who have only played WoW. One of the dipsticks even complained that the dialogue in the cutscenes interferes with using ventrilo.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
All sorts of whines on the official forums by people who have only played WoW. One of the dipsticks even complained that the dialogue in the cutscenes interferes with using ventrilo.

I think this is one of the main problems with addons, people have seen the terrible shit that was put out in WoW and automatically think they will be bad. There are lots of helpful addons/UI customisation that could be added to SW, and I really hope they do add some customisations and addons to make my life a little easier... However, I definately don't want them to goto the extremes that WoW did with addons that become mandatory for pugging, Gearscore being my major gripe as it was used as a yardstick for skill, but the old autocast ones were awful for obvious reasons, but I think even things like Gladius which tells you the enemy Arena team's classes and spec is OTT.

The main thing I really want, is to be able to dedicate certain bagslots to certain item types (similar to Herbal Bags in WoW) so I can seperate crafting mats, and I want to be able to change from my PvP gear to PvE gear with 1 button press. :D

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
There are lots of helpful addons/UI customisation that could be added to SW
And i agree to a certain extent, but unfortunately you can't have one without the other.

Sure you can limit/disable SOME LUA (or whatever they decided to use) functionalities, but you can't do it in a way that only allows the "good mods". You are going to end up having "discriminating" and other semi "play for me" mods by the bucketloads unless you want BW to manually approve the mods before they can be used.

So i would much, much rather have BW add stuff to their own UI instead of opening up the rotten can of worms that are mods because we will end up in the same situation as in WoW.

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
An AH that isn't utter shit would be nice.

The searching is my only beef with the AH. I want to just put something in the search box and go, but instead have to dick about with drop down menus. I dislike it. Apart from that, the AH is just as good as WoW, and much faster than I'd have expected.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I don't mind drop down menus. But i would like the ability to search for item slots, like head or chest or offhand etc...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Or shift click item in bag, search, buy, done. Or just type in the name etc, I cba to pick 3 different drop down menu options just to buy some metal!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The AH isn't AS bad as people make it out to be though. There's some UI trouble for sure(no quicksearch), but otherwise it's fine.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
Mods do ruin games to a degree tbh... tho some of them are quite useful, like mods to open up all your bags as one big bag or even mods to keep track of whats on alts etc. The problem WoW had was the mods went unchecked for so long and the game ultimately got modelled around mods, look at the later game raid instances, no way in the creation of crows shit could you do those without a boss meter telling you when X ability was due, even if you were paragon or some crazy asian guild you'd still fail and heres the real brain wrencher, would WoW have evolved like it did if users didnt come up with the mods it did?

You could do very early game instances without the use of boss mods - MC you could do without boss mods, BWL you could do without boss mods (aslong as everyone had Ony cloaks which by that point they should have), ZG and AQ20/40 you could do without boss mods - Naxx, probably couldnt do naxx without them as thats where it really started to brick wall raid guilds.

qft, so true :(

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The AH isn't AS bad as people make it out to be though. There's some UI trouble for sure(no quicksearch), but otherwise it's fine.

Oh, it really is. As someone who likes to craft a wide variety of items in MMOs, not to mention "play the AH" the TOR AH is probably the worst I have seen in a game. For every different item you want to sell you have to first find it using the exact criteria, then filter it to see if anyone else is selling it then list it. Item by item! For a universe that supposedly has a lot of trade going on, they don't make it easy, or logical.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Oh, it really is. As someone who likes to craft a wide variety of items in MMOs, not to mention "play the AH" the TOR AH is probably the worst I have seen in a game. For every different item you want to sell you have to first find it using the exact criteria, then filter it to see if anyone else is selling it then list it. Item by item! For a universe that supposedly has a lot of trade going on, they don't make it easy, or logical.

I know how the GTN works, i just don't agree :p

rynnor

Rockhound

It does create certain opportunities to profit though - some items do not properly filter into the blue/orange gear category so you can find some dirt cheap gear in the basic green/premium category if you can be bothered to click through the pages...

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Oh yes, you can absolutely find some really low prices on the GTN. Though i doubt they are being put up by mistake just because they have low prices because all the absolute best stuff is BoP and quite easy to get.

So were not going to see any really expensive items until we can craft better stuff then what you get from level 50 badge vendors, or at least equally good.

Not to mention that orange gear kinda fucks it up even more as you can with no problem use a level 11 piece at 50 if you upgrade the mods.

That said, i really do hate how bad most top tier armor looks compared to some of the low levels. :(

I really like the look of the Trooper level 20 armor, you know the one with the cloth attached to the chest piece, i'd love to have a set similar to that on the other tiers as well because i can't use that and look good because there isn't a full set of orange gear for it so i look like a freaking rainbow sooner or later. :(

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Yeah can find some cheapo stuff on GTN but most are way to expensive, found a stack of 99 plasteel yesterday for 500 credits, another was up for 125.000 credits, the 10 stack was sold for 6000

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Aye, i'm selling all my excess crafting mats as well, making an absolute fortune on it.

My biochem crafter is lvl 31 and already has almost 1.5 million credits just selling mats. :)

Turamber

Part of the furniture
What have they done to the global cooldown graphic. Oh. Dear. God.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Apparently there are some really really blind people playing this game, so BW had to make it even more obvious then it already were...

Anastasia

Can't get enough of FH
What's it do now? Presumably this is a response to the long cooldown problem, which wasn't exactly game-breaking for me. But then I'm a n00b clicker and the tooltip for the cooldown gave a pretty clear indication of how long was left. I can see it would be more of a problem for the key-pressing pros.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
they made the cooldown grafics a lot more visible. That's the only change i've noticed...

Turamber

Part of the furniture
If you play a class that uses rage/focus you'll find that your buttons will flash as they become available. Except it isn't just those that flash, the rest of them all flash as well. Playing my guardian last night was like being in a 70's disco, and not just because of his Elvis suit.

I referred the matter to a CSR and he said they had received many complaints and that it would be addressed in the next patch. Not very impressed with it, I quit Warhammer when Mythic pulled a similar trick with strobe lighting affects on the UI that gave me a headache.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I can't look at the skillbar when i play, it just makes me lose focus of what i'm doing. :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
If only you could choose a UI bar and style for yourself.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I had a quick look now before the downtime, and tbh that flash isn't that annoying at all.

Its hardly noticeable, for me any way...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
maximum of 50 active sales on the AH? wtf is that all about? I am usually selling 500+ items a day in wow.

How am I going to make my millions :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom