Chest pains

Laddey

FH is my second home
Anybody have an idea how to get the tar and excess shit from smoking cigarettes/cigars off your chest? (no silly 'stop smoking comments' pls )

Somebody said steam does the trick and makes you cough it all up and so on. Is this true?

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
stop smoking isnt a silly comment, it is really the only way :p

dunno about steam. ive been in plenty of steam rooms and never started coughing tar up

do some heavy exercise, in the end you will probably start coughing

cannabis opens up the bronchioles or how ever its spelt which can sometimes make you cough.

lung transplant.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Ye stopping smoking isn't a silly comment, but it's rather hard.

Smoking weed kills the short term memory and so on ;p or maybe i could put a radox bath on!

tris-

Laddey said:
Smoking weed kills the short term memory and so on ;p or maybe i could put a radox bath on!

shame, there is no solid proof for this ;).

tbh, you cant really cough the tar up. at least, i have never been physically able to cough tar up from my lungs. all you can do is stop smoking or do something to open up the thingy i mentioned earlier.

Laddey

FH is my second home
tris- said:

tbh, you cant really cough the tar up. at least, i have never been physically able to cough tar up from my lungs. all you can do is stop smoking or do something to open up the thingy i mentioned earlier.

Ye, must go for a jog or something :) I used to smoke a da ganja awhile ago but had to knock it on the head because i decided to go into the army (a month and abit to go) and it did fuck my head up abit. Majority of ppl who smoke it for a while will say the same thing. Feels so much better to get off it.

Friend just told me to get a bowl/pan of hot water and put a towel over my head and hold my head over the bowl and inhale the steam and it clears your chest, so i'll give it a shot

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
... Stop smoking. It's one of the best things I've ever done. I can breath again!

Laddey

FH is my second home
I quit for a while but took the wrong road and started again, now it's even harder to get off. Those nicotine patches help but damn they're annoying

tris-

let us know how it goes.

but the day you physically cough up tar, is probably the day one of your lungs falls out your mouth aswell.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Two weeks to clear up and regenerate.

If not terminally f*cked.

Think that's how it goes.

Stop smoking, with whatever way for two weeks and you could start fresh.

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
get some menthol crystals from a pharmacist and stick em in a bowl of boiling water, then stick a towl over your head and put your head over the bowl. Its good shit. Works well for colds and flu.

Cozak

Part of the furniture
tris- said:

Thats because they all forgot what they were doing half way through :D

Vladamir

FH is my second home
tris- said:
do some heavy exercise, in the end you will probably start coughing

Not entirely sure if heavy exercise is ideal for a smoker's CV system tbh. I don't know how long you've been smoking for/how many a day and so on but your blood vessels are likely to be hardened and constricted somewhat, so heavy exercise is likely to cause more stress on these than benefit.

Talk to a gym instructor about the exercise, i'm thinking light to moderate and long duration would get you on your way.

Equador

Fledgling Freddie
You won't cough up tar, not even by breathing in steam, I promise. Besides, be glad you won't, that can't be good :p If you stop smoking, your lungs will clear by themselves, but it will take time ( no idea how long exactly, perhaps ask a doctor? ). Once it's gone, you're free to run and breath again though! :)

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Equador said:
You won't cough up tar, not even by breathing in steam, I promise. Besides, be glad you won't, that can't be good :p If you stop smoking, your lungs will clear by themselves, but it will take time ( no idea how long exactly, perhaps ask a doctor? ). Once it's gone, you're free to run and breath again though! :)

10 years if it's not permanent. Between 15 and 20 years of 20+ a day will cause irrepairable damage. Before that time it's possible to clear your lungs entirely BUT you do need to do a lot of cardiovascular training to do so.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Yep, afaik the last comments are correct - if you have smoked for a very long time your lungs will be fucked and wont be able to repair themselves naturally. Otherwise they will regenerate tissue just like any other part of the body, harmful substances will be purged etc, and in time the damaged parts of their interiors will have healed. You can likely facilitate this by light excercise (walking, joging) building up to moderate/hard as you go along. Inhaling steam and other such nonsence wont help - only quiting will.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Well im 22 now nearly 23 and ive been smoking since ive been 15 , tho i did give up for a year between 19-20 .

Before i smoked i was a total fitness freak running 3+ miles a day , thats the guts of 5km for u hardcore metric users/frenchies :D

With me its always all out one way or the other aka fitness or smoking etc , ive never felt healthy running+smoking so thats prolly why .

Annnnnnywaaay back to the point , when i gave up back then i was off for about 10 days and i thought my lungs were pretty clear , but then i went with some meights for a 2h session of outdoor soccer on artificial grass <astroturf> and no thats not a type of weed :p

I coughed up all sorts of cats and dogs , and quiet frankly it scared me , yet i still smoke :(

But i still believe exercise and HARD exercise is the only way after a few days resting once u have finally given up , exercise will widen and strengthen the bloodways and open ure lung passage regardless if u cough up crap .

And i wouldnt worry about doing damage to ureself by pushing your limits as ure body will tell u when its had enough ... and the 1st 5 times it tells u ignore it for best results , tho if u are 40+ i wouldnt push it too much etc

Good luck with ure new start , i shall follow shortly tbh

Himse

FH is my second home
Punishment said:
Well im 22 now nearly 23 and ive been smoking since ive been 15 , tho i did give up for a year between 19-20 .

Before i smoked i was a total fitness freak running 3+ miles a day , thats the guts of 5km for u hardcore metric users/frenchies :D

With me its always all out one way or the other aka fitness or smoking etc , ive never felt healthy running+smoking so thats prolly why .

Annnnnnywaaay back to the point , when i gave up back then i was off for about 10 days and i thought my lungs were pretty clear , but then i went with some meights for a 2h session of outdoor soccer on artificial grass <astroturf> and no thats not a type of weed :p

I coughed up all sorts of cats and dogs , and quiet frankly it scared me , yet i still smoke :(

But i still believe exercise and HARD exercise is the only way after a few days resting once u have finally given up , exercise will widen and strengthen the bloodways and open ure lung passage regardless if u cough up crap .

And i wouldnt worry about doing damage to ureself by pushing your limits as ure body will tell u when its had enough ... and the 1st 5 times it tells u ignore it for best results , tho if u are 40+ i wouldnt push it too much etc

Good luck with ure new start , i shall follow shortly tbh

totally agree, i believe if you really push your body to the limit sorta, you will cough up all sorts of shit i think :S

Ryuno

Can't get enough of FH
I quit smoking, ooo, last April i think.

Started on those patches things, but they gave me headaches which made me queezy and sick quite alot.

So one day I just said fuck it, threw the patches away and carried on. Its funny I didn't think of a fag once. Maybe it was because the alternative was aweful I duno, but anyway...

It feels really good after about a month or so. Its then I REALLY knew i'd quite. When going home from the pub, and throwing your cloths in the wash straight away because they stink. When you can run further than to the corner shop without running out of breath and dying from lung failure.

Its all all good. I'd urge anybody without hesitation to try and try harder to quit. Its so worth it, it really is.

Equador

Fledgling Freddie
3 cheers ( and a rep! :p ) for you Ryuno, well done! :)
If that isn't a motivational speech/post, I don't know what is.

Rhori

Fledgling Freddie
Vladamir said:
10 years if it's not permanent. Between 15 and 20 years of 20+ a day will cause irrepairable damage. Before that time it's possible to clear your lungs entirely BUT you do need to do a lot of cardiovascular training to do so.

haha you forgot a / so now it's not Italic :p

Tilda

Saying "no stupid comments like give up smoking" is one of the dumbest things I've read on these boards.
If you dont like not being able to breath, if you dont like the cough and if you worry about your lungs filling with tar, stop smoking.
If there was some magical way to scrape all the tar out of your lungs then smoking wouldn't be quite as bad for you. However there isn't, so smoking will kill you.

This is a healthy lung.
lung%20healthy.jpg

This is a smokers lung.
lung%20bad.jpg
dirty_lung2_hr.jpg

Yeah, the black stuff is the tar :D

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Sort of in conjunction with what Tilda said, theres a documentary with Dr Gunther von Hagen tommorow night on C4 at 11.05-12.05 (the guy who did bodyworlds and anatomy for beginners), doing another set of autopsy's. Not sure whether he'll go over what smoking does, but it may be worth having a look if you need putting off :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Am i the only one who thinks the black lunbg, aka alien styleee, is a lot cooler then the red mush :D

Tilda

old.Tohtori said:
Am i the only one who thinks the black lunbg, aka alien styleee, is a lot cooler then the red mush :D

If only they wern't a vital organ eh?!

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
I quit smoking in 2001. Went from 60/day to zilch. Afer 2-3 months, your body starts regenerating and you´re feeling healthier. After 2 years, the spectrum of different smells and tastes drastically increses, you´re actually able again to tell what kind of tea you´re drinking. The lung needs 5 years to fully regenerate and get rid of all the shit it accumulated over the years.

Guess I`m one of the lucky guys, I never felt the urge to smoke again after I quit. My gf was still happily smoking, almost all my friends were, I just didn´t care. Best decision I ever made IMO. :)

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Vladamir said:
Not entirely sure if heavy exercise is ideal for a smoker's CV system tbh. I don't know how long you've been smoking for/how many a day and so on but your blood vessels are likely to be hardened and constricted somewhat, so heavy exercise is likely to cause more stress on these than benefit.

Talk to a gym instructor about the exercise, i'm thinking light to moderate and long duration would get you on your way.

right - no offence to ALL gym instructers, but the majority of gym instructers know fuck all, there stupid, and i mean there routines are crap and there knowledge of the human body is pretyt restricted. You yourself just demostrated knowledge above what most gym instructers know.

The only thing to really do is light exercise for a long duration, and over time reduce the time, increase the intensity. id advise swimming, low impact and easy to gage your improvement.

but if your going into the army in 2 weeks theres not much you can do in 2 weeks. the army will kick the shit out of you and you'll be better for it :)

SFXman

One of Freddy's beloved
I started getting some form of chest pains and a general feeling of pressure in my chest after smoking for years. Then I quit and it really does disappear, quite fast actually.
Merely reducing smoking two-thirds and exercising 3-5 times a week will help. Also, I got this inhaler type thing from my army doctor that releases some powder and it helped. Used that when I started to exercise again, did the trick.

Naturally, now off smoking almost completely (nightclubs still make me cave in) and I feel miles better. Sense of smell has also improved immensly. Smokers really do stink :p

Vladamir

FH is my second home
SFXman said:
Also, I got this inhaler type thing from my army doctor that releases some powder and it helped. Used that when I started to exercise again, did the trick.

Sounds like an asthma-type inhaler. The power increases the elasticity of the bronchioles (these are fairly rigid in asthmatics and long term smokers), which makes it easier to breathe :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom