Champions Online

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
eer. you dont have to do both crisis zones to get to lvl 10... 1 is quite enough for that

Turamber

Part of the furniture
I've not had much of a problem getting to level 10, more knowing how to build a good character. I am also a little confused about reference to passive, offensive and AoE slotting. Stances seem a little confusing too.

I am sure it will all come together, but I am still messing about levelling characters to around 12 to get a feel for them.

I'm enjoying my gadgeteer the most right now, although he was a little underpowered from around levels 9 to 10, then he picked up the combat drone skill and his DPS leaped up. Still has very poor survivability in PvP though.

Supernatural seems a very strong archetype if lacking a bit in the fluff that I like so much, but the Archery skills left a lot to be desired. Very <yawn>worthy. Will play around with the telepath and force archetypes a bit more later, see how they fare in the cage matches.

Are there any must have skills from other disciplines to pick up? In CoH it was pretty much a given that you would take the skills that refreshed your powers and reduced their cost.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I'm most most interested in this game, partly 'cause i'm looking for a new palce to hang about, mostly because i found CoH/V VERY entertaining in it's own weird way.

Few questions;

- Is the modification of own character better/worse?
- Can you modify your oufit after creation?
- Are th xbox/PC versions linked to same world?
- Is there a trial? Coming?
- How group/solo oriented is it?
- Can i run it on a Windows 95?(system reqs) :p

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I'm most most interested in this game, partly 'cause i'm looking for a new palce to hang about, mostly because i found CoH/V VERY entertaining in it's own weird way.

Few questions;

- Is the modification of own character better/worse?
- Can you modify your oufit after creation?
- Are th xbox/PC versions linked to same world?
- Is there a trial? Coming?
- How group/solo oriented is it?
- Can i run it on a Windows 95?(system reqs) :p

1. i found it worse. you cant use for example cloaks if you dont use tight jackets, so if u want to wear body armor you cant use cloaks. also CoX had more costume pieces at release then this game have, but they will add more.

2. yes you can, for a fee ofc.

3. yes, when the xbox version is released.

4. yes, unsure when tho

5. pretty solo friendly but also lots of instances that u need a group for.

6. eer, probably not. Minimum System Requirements

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I'm enjoying my gadgeteer the most right now, although he was a little underpowered from around levels 9 to 10, then he picked up the combat drone skill and his DPS leaped up. Still has very poor survivability in PvP though.

dont play a gadgeteer if u plan to pvp alot. the pets they get while they do ok in pve are one of the first things ppl kill in pvp because they are just annoying rather then being a threat, and having close to no defenses or HP (even if you talent for that) they tend to die to pretty much anything.

so you will end up having to resummon those pets every 10 seconds, dealing no damage and getting no killing blows :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
1. i found it worse. you cant use for example cloaks if you dont use tight jackets, so if u want to wear body armor you cant use cloaks. also CoX had more costume pieces at release then this game have, but they will add more.

2. yes you can, for a fee ofc.

3. yes, when the xbox version is released.

4. yes, unsure when tho

5. pretty solo friendly but also lots of instances that u need a group for.

6. eer, probably not. Minimum System Requirements

Thanks, been getting a lot of conflicting info on the xbox/pc being compatible. Same world rocks socks though.

Have to see if i'll give it some time to develop, or if i'll just waste a couple of cashthingies to start early.

Oh yeah, forgot to ask; can you be a villain too?

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Thanks, been getting a lot of conflicting info on the xbox/pc being compatible. Same world rocks socks though.

Have to see if i'll give it some time to develop, or if i'll just waste a couple of cashthingies to start early.

Not seen how you could be a villain :-( When you do BG's it randomly assigns you to Red to Blue so it does not feel like Good and Evil.

Also Ctuchik I think it does cost money to re-design your character. When you go to the NPC the price increases each time you add/edit a part of the costume.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Not seen how you could be a villain :-( When you do BG's it randomly assigns you to Red to Blue so it does not feel like Good and Evil.

Well outside BG it could work like CoV, and in BG it could work as "suited people vs suited people" :D

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
My pre-ordered retail copy finally turned up yesterday (thanks royal fail), but I'm thinking of sending it back upopened.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home

Also Ctuchik I think it does cost money to re-design your character. When you go to the NPC the price increases each time you add/edit a part of the costume.

yes i know, and i also said it would :p

Ctuchik

FH is my second home

no, not a proper villain anyway. you could roleplay a villain i guess but it would be damn hard seing as every fucking NPC keeps calling you "the one and only hero" >.<

and theres nothing even remotely evil you can do in this game other then to decline quests...

Bahumat

FH is my second home
yes i know, and i also said it would :p

What pissed me off is the cost of respeccing skills. I did not have enough money at level 3 so I thought (ok no problem, get level 5 and dont buy any new abilities. Then I can respec....WRONG! The cost of each ability to respec went up so I never had enough money...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
no, not a proper villain anyway. you could roleplay a villain i guess but it would be damn hard seing as every fucking NPC keeps calling you "the one and only hero" >.<

and theres nothing even remotely evil you can do in this game other then to decline quests...

Bah. Ah well, anti-hero works too.

And it's a real shame if everyone is treated like the "savior of the world", when there's a world filled with them :D

Now for the big question;

Is it fun?

With all the faults, bugs, wrong things, gripes etc...is it still good entertainment?

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Bah. Ah well, anti-hero works too.

And it's a real shame if everyone is treated like the "savior of the world", when there's a world filled with them :D

Now for the big question;

Is it fun?

With all the faults, bugs, wrong things, gripes etc...is it still good entertainment?

I found it lifeless. I was running round doing quests which felt more like quest chains (good thing), however they felt so lifeless. I did not care who I was saving, what I was doing and it just felt like I was on auto pilot doing it.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I found it lifeless. I was running round doing quests which felt more like quest chains (good thing), however they felt so lifeless. I did not care who I was saving, what I was doing and it just felt like I was on auto pilot doing it.

Umm...compard to say...WoW?

Or do you mean that there's no peeps around and the action seems glued on.

That there's no innocent civilians in the way etc?

Like playing with toy soldiers in a sandbox and you have to imagine you're in Normandy?

I can live with monotomy, if there's some fun in there.

Oh yeah! How's the RP enforced? At all? Is there RP fluff? Extra stuff that makes RP more fun?

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Umm...compard to say...WoW?

Or do you mean that there's no peeps around and the action seems glued on.

That there's no innocent civilians in the way etc?

Like playing with toy soldiers in a sandbox and you have to imagine you're in Normandy?

I can live with monotomy, if there's some fun in there.

Oh yeah! How's the RP enforced? At all? Is there RP fluff? Extra stuff that makes RP more fun?

If you would like to have some fun rvr/pvp combat at max level I do not think this game can deliver. The journey to max level is ok in my opinion. The quests are like wow in that you dont really care about them. In WoW you had the Scarlet Monastery quests which I loved because it was like a mini story...a group of people you fought whilst you xp'd.
I liked how it felt like they were getting stronger and stronger, more organised the higher they got. Added a nice element.

I found some quests in CO were fun and it seemed like there was some progression, but because I prefer the rvr side of mmo's, i kept thinking "why bother doing this when the end result is not what i want".

I preferred the questing in CoX because you could be good or bad. Also it felt like there was more depth to the quests.

Corran

Part of the furniture
Some the best lines of missions are the Nemesis mission tbh. They been enjoyable for me, though not getting them often enough because im rarely in the "world" as im farming the UNITY missions you get at lvl 40.

I been enjoying the game alot and the staff at the place are actually decent people IF you approach them in the right way.

For instance: They changed the way Wall of Ice advantage works that i used ever since CB. I put in a mail to the GM's asking if they would be able to refund the advantage points only on that ability because it does not fit my playstyle now with the change. Stated I understand it needed the damage change but the fact I cant stand and get the single tic makes it unusable for me, but i would like the original spell still.

The GM later contacting me and said the office had a debate on the matter and would give me a full respec in order to allow me to remove the ability.
Was actually really nice of them to do that as I expected them to say that due to the bug fix, and not a nerf, they are unable to respec it.

Yet on the forums, there people going mad about it instead of actually putting in a civil request to the gm's ingame. Shows how a difference in approach gets a result you would like :)

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
Just started playing this although my play time is hampered by Plus.net's shitty ellacoya which kicks in causes ultralag every evening. Apparently they're adding the packet info from the game to their network monitoring next week so I hope to play some more then.

So far I've enjoyed it quite a bit

M

Corran

Part of the furniture
mongoose, i not tested it myself yet but people with issues with ISP saying that
HOTspot Shield is making the game play perfectly for them. It a free download as well.

I know that GamePath make the game playable using there servers as a getaround to the packet sniffing... but you get discounted on the hour every hour if you dont pay for the service... hoping that this fixes the issue for me as my isp is useless :p

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Game is really growing on me, I am particularly enjoying playing my telepath. The combination of decent soloing and good grouping skills makes him particularly fun to play.

The game has a few issues but it seems polished for a release, and I'm sure the devs will add new stuff as the months roll by. One to stick with I think.

Corran

Part of the furniture
Game is really growing on me, I am particularly enjoying playing my telepath. The combination of decent soloing and good grouping skills makes him particularly fun to play.

The game has a few issues but it seems polished for a release, and I'm sure the devs will add new stuff as the months roll by. One to stick with I think.

first event/update and new powerset already been announced. Believe it will be out in november :D

Also in next couple weeks there going to be a massive content update for Monster Island to wipe out the quest gap at 30-32 sorta area. So that should be good. Sounds like some intresting quest lines in that.

Still is some buggy areas of the game that can be frustrating, but not as bad as the packet blocking that Tiscali doing at primetimes that make grouping impossible.. but devs got an update coming real soon to the test server which may get round this issue.. can but hope. Though im hounding Tiscali atm anyways :D

Im hooked on the game, i find it hard to stop playing my mian though as im trying to farm things. But soon I will get really going on my alts :)

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
Still is some buggy areas of the game that can be frustrating, but not as bad as the packet blocking that Tiscali doing at primetimes that make grouping impossible.. but devs got an update coming real soon to the test server which may get round this issue.. can but hope. Though im hounding Tiscali atm anyways :D

Did that hotspot shield not help corran?

At the moment Plus have not added champions to the exception list on their packet shapers. As a result in the evenings I couldn't even get the patcher to respond let alone get into game. On the odd occasion I got into game I was stuck constantly rubber banding forwards and backwards.

I installed that hotspot thingy and connected up and voilla! pretty much lag free gaming. Granted my ping was highish but it was stable and the latency wasn't really noticable. I was delighted. Got my zombie hero bouncing around slapping things.

M

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Only thing I think they really need to address, that I've seen so far, is the way powers are selected. Most powers seem balanced for their own trees, but when people can take any power from any tree things get unbalanced.

Rather than nerf powers by the dozen and making bad guys stronger it would be better to limit the choice of powers at the high end to people who have bought other powers in that tree.

At the moment there are some very powerful characters who make no sense at all. They have abilities from almost every spec line, and it looks plain silly for a superhero MMOG. And then you have the issue of people playing concept builds being underpowered for the beefed up mobs.

Games shouldn't be balanced against people mini/maxing the powers available, but against the individual trees as, I suspect, was originally the case when the powers were designed.

Corran

Part of the furniture
Power selection has changed throughout CB in how it was done. That is true. For instance to get Tier 3 you had to have most the powers from the power group... but this went against the "customisation" they wanted thus they changed it. And now it tough to get a good balance.

Hotspot didnt help me unfortunately. Gave me worse ping and still made grouping impossible in peak times. GamePath works but it hassle to use every hour, especially in a 5man dungeon and you get kicked out on last fight :p

So glad it worked for you though :) Im just solo'in in "peak times" whilst I give Tiscali hassle every day...

There latest great solution "uninstall and reinstall the game" :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Bought it and the lovely lady at the counter(damn she's hot for a game selling person :eek7:) gave me a pre-order voucher for extra goodies :clap:

Now only if the servers worked...

Corran

Part of the furniture
Bought it and the lovely lady at the counter(damn she's hot for a game selling person :eek7:) gave me a pre-order voucher for extra goodies :clap:

Now only if the servers worked...

servers do work.. just not when they down for maintanance as is the call at 1100-1300 UK time.

Hate the time they do at moment. Used to be 0900-1100 and it was much better. Hopefully the revert back to it soon instead of using their bull story of "we done this to make it better for non-US peopl" which it isnt better for anyone outside of the US... they meant "We done this for the late night US players who liked playing at 1am, so we making it 3am now" :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
servers do work.. just not when they down for maintanance as is the call at 1100-1300 UK time.

Hate the time they do at moment. Used to be 0900-1100 and it was much better. Hopefully the revert back to it soon instead of using their bull story of "we done this to make it better for non-US peopl" which it isnt better for anyone outside of the US... they meant "We done this for the late night US players who liked playing at 1am, so we making it 3am now" :p

Yeah, meant the webservers. Couldn't make an account you see :D

Well, got in later, got to working etc etc.

Love it.

The customization and replay value alone make it worth the buck.

The only problem is that the character creation is so much fun, you forget to play :p

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
speaking of bugs...

gotta live THIS patchnote :)

This patch updates our database to fix a bug that was causing some guilds and heroes to be deleted. The affected guilds and heroes have already been restored.
:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom