C4 Gun advert

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I'm sorry throd, but to argue that the amount of gun related deaths in the states is moot because of the population difference is just silly. It's beyond obvious that it's much higher in the states. If you want to argue for gun ownership, Switzerland is the best example - low gun related deaths, MASSIVE gun ownership. The fact is, you can't really compare two country's laws while ignoring every other factor. Just like one can't say "look at the USA" to suggest we should never legalise guns again, it'd also be silly to suggest that Switzerland proves we *should* be allowed guns.

Every society is different, we need to make the laws based on what works for us. As to whether that means guns = yay or guns = boo, I've no idea but it strikes me that your argument is always tantamount to "I like guns, therefore they should be allowed". Plus that age old classic "outlawing guns means only outlaws have guns". Both of which seem pretty naive.

JingleBells

FH is my second home
Well for a start there's 600 million people in the USA and about 60 million here. Then you have to question where you got the statistics from in the first place and then lots more people shoot there anyway, and well, its just a load of balls isnt it? You dont know anything about it really, just regurgitated information from various dodgy sources. And neither do I.

Yes there's accidents in the U.S, and so there is here too. The rest of it is bollocks.

Since when were there 600 million in the US?
CIA World Factbook - USA

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
poor people, inner cities, gang culture, no family support, broken homes, failed schools, no prospects, drugs, etc etc = current problem

I think the main problem is that yes gun crime is generally falling but rising for teenagers from disadvantaged backgrounds and that's what the advert points at. Why people bring in America all the time annoys me, totally different culture over there, and frankly they can keep it.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
<puts on best tabloid letter writer's voice>

Blame Gordon Brown. It's all his fault. 1/4 of the children growing up in this country are growing up in poverty. Thanks Gordon for giving our future an opportunity!

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Well for a start there's 600 million people in the USA and about 60 million here. Then you have to question where you got the statistics from in the first place and then lots more people shoot there anyway, and well, its just a load of balls isnt it? You dont know anything about it really, just regurgitated information from various dodgy sources. And neither do I.

Yes there's accidents in the U.S, and so there is here too. The rest of it is bollocks.

Sorry to piss on your chips throd, but the population of the US is just over 300M, the figure for US hunting accidents came from your buddies from the NRA, and the US & UK gun death figures came from the UN and Office of National Statistics respectively. I can't believe you can honestly sit there and say the death rate in the US is simply because "there are more people to shoot". Gimme a fuckin' break. Using that kind of warped logic, the gun death rate should be higher here because we're packed more closely together!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
<puts on best tabloid letter writer's voice>

Blame Capitalism. It's all it's fault. 1/4 of the children growing up in this country are growing up in poverty. Thanks Capitalism for giving our future an opportunity!

Fixed ;)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Keep some perspective though. Capitalism may be responsible for a number of the worlds ills, but it's certainly provided a great number of improvements to general life/well-being. Think of all the medical R&D that's undertaken because the companies know that they will eventually make a profit from it. Sure it's be nice and fluffy if they did it for the good of mankind, but that's just unrealistic.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
My mistake, I thought there was 600 mil in the states.

Look! Someone on the internet admitted a mistake without simply ignoring what was said and posting something else!!

Its a first!!

I still think the Americans are right. The older I get, the more I want to live there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom