Brotherhood Of Barrysworld

T

Trebz

Originally posted by Damini
I'm not all knowing, but maybe a Shaman rather than a healer

If you even want to consider doing RvR then i suggest NOT using a shaman, from what ive heard they are crap. A healer is much better with the whole heal/pac thing, shamans are just nerfed.

The benefit of having two healers means you can go for even harder things as two of your can heal someone at the same time who is being savagely murdered. It also helps a lot when one of the healers is agro'd as they can stand still and allow the other healer to heal them.

One class i suggest not being is Thane, they're 10 a penny on midgard and you'll always manage to get one in your group. Pick a less used class like warrior for example (gogo DBs!) as they are quite rare, yet they are needed for the RvR when storming the keeps.

Remeber, you need to plan your characters for the long term, its all nice getting a shaman now for example but once you've done leveling he's useless for RvR and RvR is where the game will go once you hit level 35-40 as leveling slow down a lot.

W

WPKenny

Fair enough I suppose. I guess it's up to them whther they think we're advertising or just showing our erm..what's the word? You know when you like something and wanna show how much you like it and are proud to be assosciated with it?

X

Xavier

I can now stun monsters, as well as make them lose their aggression magically... which means if we pull too many I can delay a few or alternatively stop a couple completely...

now all we need to do is make sure i maintain high power levels so I can use them on top of the healing malarkey!

D

Damini

I've just done a little bit of exploring... Found a smurf camp which was kinda cool. Until they killed me. Then I found a vendo camp, which was kinda cool. Until they killed me. So then I found a tomte camp, which was kinda cool...

I've lost all my blips, orbs, whatever you want to call them. I'm sulking. I was half way through!

And Im lost.

W

Wilier

origionally posted by Trebz
i suggest NOT using a shaman, from what ive heard they are crap.

Ahhh bugger, there I was, all ready to move any mountain

Gedditt............

I'll get me coat.:(

F

Fex

Also we now have 2 healers in Xav and Nvatrat so really it would be up to you n00b and Sar, I'm a hunter and I've had great fun creeping around the forests and avoiding beasties that come my way, I think that the best way to choose a character is to have a look through the manual and decide for yourself as if when you hit level 10 or something and you dont like the char you have your going to be a little pissed off aint you. Ah well just my two penneth worth.

There is 1 thing that really annoys me tho, WHY DOES IT ALWAYS RAIN! There thought I'd put this in here aswell as annoying Summo by mentioning it as soon as the wet stuff falls.

L

Louster

if when you hit level 10 or something and you dont like the char you have your going to be a little pissed off aint you.
Heh. Heh. Nah.

(ENJOYING MY MONEY APHEX?)

S

Sar

Originally posted by Wilier

Ahhh bugger, there I was, all ready to move any mountain

Gedditt............

I'll get me coat.:(

*snigger*

Never worry, I got it :D

X

Xavier

I've just done a little bit of exploring... Found a smurf camp which was kinda cool. Until they killed me. Then I found a vendo camp, which was kinda cool. Until they killed me. So then I found a tomte camp, which was kinda cool...

I've lost all my blips, orbs, whatever you want to call them. I'm sulking. I was half way through!

And Im lost.

well i do keep saying u should call me :p

D

Damini

Nobody was online, so I just was running about with the theme tune from The Littlest Hobo in my head.

H

Hashmonster

"every stop i make, i make a new friend...."

:D

D

Damini

Mumble mumble long , llaalal lala moving on , And I'm gone again!!!

S

Summo

Can't stay for long, just turn around, and I'm gone again.

:D

H

Hashmonster

great performance!

We rocked. We fed off the audience. We rocked :D :clap:

X

Xavier

will be on from 6pm - if anyone wants to come along, i've found an area with a few purples well spread out which guarantees pulling only one (2 at worst) - anyone coming for an exp sesh?

D

Damini

I might be - I have a whole problem with the concept of time as linear, so I'm never anywhere when I say Im going to be, so therefore I never promise to be anywhere when I say Im gonna be anywhere. Kapiche?

H

Hashmonster

Originally posted by Xavier
will be on from 6pm - if anyone wants to come along, i've found an area with a few purples well spread out which guarantees pulling only one (2 at worst) - anyone coming for an exp sesh?

yep xav, i should be there for then. give us a yell when i arrive

X

Xavier

I might be - I have a whole problem with the concept of time as linear, so I'm never anywhere when I say Im going to be, so therefore I never promise to be anywhere when I say Im gonna be anywhere. Kapiche?

no, but that aint suprising :p

O

old.Morpheus

Old school EQ / AO / UO / whatever players say:

OOM Out of Mana
LOM Low on Mana

Down wid it DAoC players say:

OOP Out of Power
LOP Low on Power

This is something being worked on for when DAOCnation.com goes live. Until then...

Mobs = Mobiles = Old school term from MUGs

S

stu

Originally posted by Hashmonster
I can now do some long distance magic doodahs now too but i'll leave the pulling to the nominated. I'm a viking thane geezer i think :D

You're the best pulling class in the game mate...

actually, tbh, you're the best class in the game, end of. Congrats on your choice :) I hope you're not panysing around with shield or parry now...

S

Summo

Um... oh, dear. I'm a Viking Thane too but I have been 'diligent' in getting my shield and parry skills up, though not exclusively, obviously.

What should I be focusing on, Stu? Stormcalling and weapon skills?

O

Orin Askhammare

After reading some boards I found that going high up for 1 weapon class is important (something like 46 in the end) and pretty much everyone maxes stormcalling. Parry is supposedly not very useful in RvR, but with 42 shield you can get some sort of long stun attack with your shield. I think I'll stay on improving my hammer skill for quite some time before venturing into other stuff.

I'm also a Troll Thane btw, but so far only level 5 after 1 night :D

S

Summo

I'm falling behind in the level race. I'll invest and hour or so... NOW!

O

Orin Askhammare

I read a bit here about Viking classes. There's the obvious debating and yea vs nay saying going on but at least I got some general feel about what not to do from reading some threads here.

S

stu

yes/ack. The best defence... etc

I'm a 20's Viking Thane (should be higher but barely played the past few days) with maxed Stormcalling and max -1 Sword - went Sword because my two Thane buddies went Hammer, so we complement each other nicely - Axe is total turd, in case you hadn't already realised.

I can solo yellows 100% of the time with virtually no downtime - they usually take about 5% of my health away. Worst case scenario (ie 4/5 misses) will leave me with about 2/3 health when they hit the floor.

I can solo some oranges, depending on what monster it is - stuff like wolves are a piece of piss to me (I get a nice bonus for sword on them), trees are also very easy as long as they dont nuke me (you can handle 2, 3 = dead, but being nuked 3 times is very rare). Blodfelag/humanoids generally are 50/50 - if you get 4 clean lightning hits in then they'll almost certainly go down before you. I usually have about 1/3 health after soloing one. Note this is ORANGES, not blues or yellows. I can also solo 3 blues, or 2 yellows (again tho depending on the mob - try not to solo a tank and a caster).

If I team up with another thane at my level we roll over high oranges and reds in a matter of seconds - they're half dead from the lightning before they even get to us. With three thanes you can waltz through dungeons, taking on groups of oranges with no risk whatsoever. Note you don't really need a healer - just take turns pulling. If you need to take aggro off an ailing friend, hit the mob with a provoke attack and he'll swap right to you. The Thane's best friend is Endurance (for all those styles), and it regenerates ludicrously fast.

Ditching your shield will also, of couse, allow you to use a two-handed weapon, which is the key to mincing those monsters so quickly. A yellow will go down in 2 hits guaranteed, often just one once the lightning attacks have blitzed him. Oranges will take 3/4 (assuming you're using styles every hit, which you should be, not only do they give you sick extra damage, they increase your chance to hit). 2H are slower than 1H, but the extra damage they cause more than makes up for it - it's also very satisfying swinging a 5 foot sword through a mob's head :). Considering the paltry amount of blocking/parrying you do, the points really aren't worth it compared to the extra damage investing in your weapon skill causes.

In a group of classes, you're the best tank, end of. Warriors have slightly more hit points, but it's not really relevant given that you rarely go below 1/2. They in theory hit for slightly more as well, but I've not seen a warrior yet that hits harder than me at my level. They also don't have Stormcalling (obviously). Berserkers... well they cant even wear Chain armour ffs :)

You're an absolutely peerless puller, given that you can pull any monster, hit him with a fairly awesome amount of damage at range (at higher levels your Stormcalling attacks will be comparable to all but the strongest pure-casters), and yet take everything the mob can dish out, and give him back double, when he gets to melee range. Watch a runecarver or a hunter pull, then watch them go down like a sack of shit within 2 seconds when the mob starts laying into them.

You also make an awesome bodyguard for any melee-weak characters in the group (see above) with your Protect and Intercept skills. You're a perfect diversionary tank - with Provoke styles, you can take the heat whenever you want. Although tbh you make such a good main tank that you let others worry about diversions :)

A Viking is also the best choice of race for a Thane, imo. Trolls hit hardest, but they have the least hitpoints. Hence if you get a troll thane and a viking thane, otherwise identical, the troll will always take aggro - but will go down quicker. Not good. The dwarf is the opposite - does least damage, but can take the most. Dwarf is a great choice if you're not confident of your own abilities (ie you're a wuss :) ). Viking walks a happy medium between the two, especially if you have a Viking buddy - he does a fairly sickening amount of damage, but can still take the hits.

O

Orin Askhammare

Ah I opted for the troll. Put 10 points in str and con and 5 in piety and quickness I think. But I think I read somewhere that those initial points don't change too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom