Sex Big Gay Family Cars For Lame Asses

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So, a mate of mine is totally sprogged up. Missus has been made redundant but due to aceness won't have a day off work and the redundancy money has turned out to be a nice bonus.

To spend on a family car.

I know both fuck and all about family cars. Say you had ten or fifteen grand to spunk (guessing on amounts - maybe less, maybe more), what would you get that gets two kids in it, is reliable as fuck, is spacious, is cheap to run and maintain, and doesn't make you look like a slack-wearing old-giffer.

Ideas? :)

Aada

Part of the furniture
So, a mate of mine is totally sprogged up. Missus has been made redundant but due to aceness won't have a day off work and the redundancy money has turned out to be a nice bonus.

To spend on a family car.

I know both fuck and all about family cars. Say you had ten or fifteen grand to spunk (guessing on amounts - maybe less, maybe more), what would you get that gets two kids in it, is reliable as fuck, is spacious, is cheap to run and maintain, and doesn't make you look like a slack-wearing old-giffer.

Ideas? :)
£15k? Dump it on the mortgage if they still have one.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Volvo. Most reliable car I've ever owned. Had 2 v40's and would definitely get another.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
My dad had a Citroen C5, a VW Passat and a Mazda 7 (All Estate cars..)

The Mazda was the best in terms of driving, but was built like a tin can (You could tell by pushing in the door panels how flimsy it was) whereas the C5 wasn't as fun, but was solidly built, same applies for the Passat.

Not entirely sure how much they all cost, tbh. :p

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
I've had Audi Avant and VW Passat both were excellent family cars. Should easily get a showroom test car for under 15k. Back in 2000 when I still lived in UK, Passat 1.8 TDi was 20K retail. Mate had the BMW 3 series estate and loved it, so might be an option depending on price.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Having kids will make you a slackwearing old giffer :LOL:

But as far as i know from the experiences of the doomed relatives, any 4 door will do. BMW and Volvo seem to be the choice, but this is not England.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Children, redundancy and cars? Unless they're rich, £15k is a very silly amount to spend. £5k would be much more like it, especially as it will get trashed.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
You don't need a people carrier for one kid.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Children, redundancy and cars? Unless they're rich, £15k is a very silly amount to spend. £5k would be much more like it, especially as it will get trashed.

Read what he said, she was made redundant and obviously got another job straight away, so the redundancy money is "free" cash. Yes you could get a shitheap for 5 grand, but if 15 is what they want to spend, so be it. There's nothing silly about it. NB. I've had a quick scan on Autotrader and yes 15K is the right ballpark for a 3 year old S-Max.

Wij said:
You don't need a people carrier for one kid

True, but an S-Max is a decent car full stop, and frankly, once kid number two comes along, its better to already have the car than think "shit, I've got no room". We're really struggling with a current car and will have to replace it in a few months once wedding costs are out of the way.

Fweddy

FH is my second home
what would you get that gets two kids in it, is reliable as fuck, is spacious, is cheap to run and maintain, and doesn't make you look like a slack-wearing old-giffer.

I think they're at the kid number two stage all ready.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
A shitheap? Methinks your idea of what constitutes a shitheap belies a nose held aloft.

Anyway, if you want to spend £15k on something, my advice would be to buy a Kia. I've not heard a bad word said about them and the newest ones look very nice.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
True, but an S-Max is a decent car full stop, and frankly, once kid number two comes along, its better to already have the car than think "shit, I've got no room". We're really struggling with a current car and will have to replace it in a few months once wedding costs are out of the way.

Problem solved!
27729d1243818257-fs-thule-650-adventurer-car-top-cargo-box-luggage-carrier-p5300036.jpg

They are not air tight so should be OK, just stick some pillows around them.

DaGaffer

Problem solved!
27729d1243818257-fs-thule-650-adventurer-car-top-cargo-box-luggage-carrier-p5300036.jpg

They are not air tight so should be OK, just stick some pillows around them.

Got one of those. Its fine if you're going on a long journey but it destroys your fuel economy so you can't leave it on and we're cramped even for short trips now. Child seats are fucking massive, and once you get the seats for one year olds and above they're a pain in the arse to remove (even with Isofix bases its a faff), and the two seat buggy fills the boot. So a bigger car is essential. I'd have bought one a while ago if car prices weren't such an insane ripoff in Ireland, and after my painful experience with a lease when I moved here, I don't want to go down that road again, just in case we end up back in blighty at short notice.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Estate: Honda Accord - Ford Mondeo (VW Are Nice, but miles from cheap to mentain) Audi = wanker ;)
I'd take The Accord 2.0 estate with Automatic - 2.4 if you dont mind The extra petrol cost.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Got one of those. Its fine if you're going on a long journey but it destroys your fuel economy so you can't leave it on and we're cramped even for short trips now. Child seats are fucking massive, and once you get the seats for one year olds and above they're a pain in the arse to remove (even with Isofix bases its a faff), and the two seat buggy fills the boot. So a bigger car is essential. I'd have bought one a while ago if car prices weren't such an insane ripoff in Ireland, and after my painful experience with a lease when I moved here, I don't want to go down that road again, just in case we end up back in blighty at short notice.

Why my Mrs ended up with one of these:

images

Landcruiser, 8 seater or 5 with a huge boot. Petrol is cheap here so don't give a stuff about fuel economy.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Could just put the Children in the space savers on the roof. What more do you need to carry around for them?

People with kids seem to plan to be away for several days every time they leave the house with all the shit they carry. Soon you wont see a child outside of a inflatable bubble.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
This (not exact model) was our family car:

Commer_FC_van_Bj_ca_1968_photo_2008.JPG

It was only slightly larger in footprint than a BMW Mini.

DaGaffer

This (not exact model) was our family car:

Commer_FC_van_Bj_ca_1968_photo_2008.JPG

It was only slightly larger in footprint than a BMW Mini.

Yes yes, and we all got a packet of spangles for Christmas and went to work down't pit when we were six. Unfortunately parents don't have a choice about most of the shit that takes up space in the car, which is why we need larger ones. Long gone are the days when me and my brother would see who could crush the other to death by sliding across the vinyl seats to ram them into the window winders on fast bends (with an outside chance of the door flying open for that added frisson of danger).

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I don't know how my mum managed. Oh wait, yes I do. She washed nappies in the top-loading washing machine, she carried 6 (yes, 6) bags of shopping a mile home from the nearest Asda, twice a week. And if us kids wanted a lift anywhere, we were told to either walk or get the bus, usually with a clout around the ear to put sense into us.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I don't know how my mum managed. Oh wait, yes I do. She washed nappies in the top-loading washing machine, she carried 6 (yes, 6) bags of shopping a mile home from the nearest Asda, twice a week. And if us kids wanted a lift anywhere, we were told to either walk or get the bus, usually with a clout around the ear to put sense into us.

#dig@21stcenturykids

DaGaffer

#Yorkshiremensketch

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber

I can nearly hear the music off the Hovis advert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom