BI = Banned

D

Driwen

Originally posted by VodkaFairy
Well you guess wrong. If you would have actually read the thread, you would know that BI still has it in his inbox.

and maybe that wasnt the pm ziva was talking about?

V

VodkaFairy

Re: Coim

Originally posted by bigfoot
Whether you mean it or not if you post something out of order and it is reported then we have to look at it. Someone mentioned to me on IRC that there were some threads appearing in this forum that were abusive to various people and when I looked into it this was proven to be the case which is why I took the action I did.

I may not post very often in this section of the forums but I've monitored it for a long time via reported posts or general browsing, I've also banned or suspended a number of people from it either based on what I've seen or because it was requested by the moderators of this section. I've done this for a variety of reasons, be it abusive posts, post farming on this forum or across the forums in general or the odd bit of warez that has found its way on here. Since the Code of Conduct was introduced the scope for getting out of saying or doing something inappropriate by claiming that you "don't really mean it" has narrowed considerably and that excuse simply doesn't wash any more.

Whilst we may be more releaxed on FH when things are fully moved over there it will still be the case that if someone does something OTT then they will be warned, suspended or banned, regardless of whether it is in the General forum or the Excal OT.

With your current attitude, there won't be much left of FH before it even started. Of course you will take a more relaxed attitude when you've banned so many people at the start. There's noone left to ban :p

Anyway, it's obvious you don't care, nor want to change anything in your policy, so it's pretty much pointless having this discussion. I think the rules are way too strict, all I can do is let you know I guess.

In the end it's still you and your fellow mods who control everything there, I just wish you would actually relax a bit and stop banning all over the place without (imo) valid reasons. The mods are already disliked by alot of people anyway, bad way to start a new forum :p

V

VodkaFairy

Originally posted by Driwen
and maybe that wasnt the pm ziva was talking about?

Maybe it was? I dont see the point of you asking that question tbh.. I would like to know if BI indeed got warned or not, while you're just posting useless and unnecessary questions.

B

bigfoot

VodkaFairy

Again you talk from a position of ignorance. I've banned the sum total of zero people from the FH forums and, loxley apart, probably wouldn't have banned any of those who were suspended. That said I can see why they were banned, it snowballed after the first couple with some of the Excal OT people trying to push the mods into banning them by posting rather childish statements.

I took action here (on the GAME forums) tonight because it was needed as the people who were banned on FH chose to come here and start mouthing off at FH / GAME / posters on this forum. After banning them here I removed the majority of the threads in question which is perhaps why you seem to think that they have done nothing wrong.

As I indicated in my reply to you (read up you may have missed it during your replying) the DAoC moderators will take the lion share of responsibility in due course and I personally think they do a very good job here.

D

Driwen

Maybe it was? I dont see the point of you asking that question tbh.. I would like to know if BI indeed got warned or not, while you're just posting useless and unnecessary questions.

I was pointing out that there is a rather large chance that you wont get your quote that you wanted.

And only excal ot group might not be there, other people will be there most likely. Or atleast not because of FH ban behaviour. Also as was said on FH, FH=/= BW. The exact same rules dont apply there, they dont want spam there and people will have to adjust to the exact new rules. And they arent that awefully strict at FH.

C

Coim-

Re: VodkaFairy

Again you talk from a position of ignorance. I've banned the sum total of zero people from the FH forums and, loxley apart, probably wouldn't have banned any of those who were suspended. That said I can see why they were banned, it snowballed after the first couple with some of the Excal OT people trying to push the mods into banning them by posting rather childish statements.

I took action here (on the GAME forums) tonight because it was needed as the people who were banned on FH chose to come here and start mouthing off at FH / GAME / posters on this forum. After banning them here I removed the majority of the threads in question which is perhaps why you seem to think that they have done nothing wrong.

As I indicated in my reply to you (read up you may have missed it during your replying) the DAoC moderators will take the lion share of responsibility in due course and I personally think they do a very good job here.
Why do you think they (me included btw) wanted to get banned? 'Cause we can't do anything there. Every thread gets locked. And I do agree, the mods do a good job here, with exception to RvR section of course, but that's just my point of view. Over at FH, they've gone over the top. Deny all you want, but there's been... what? 6 bannings in the last, 2 - 3 days. And you're not doing anything wrong?

"k".

A

Ala

Unban them all imo :eek:

They make the forums interesting and fun... diversity is good no?
OT is OT. I interpret that as being a forum about ANYTHING (yes I've read the coc blabla.. if I had my way it would be diff but I'm not prepared to host a forum so... I understand the rules I just don't like them..any rules infact ;p)
Like VF said if the people reading thier posts don't have a problem with it.. the majority of readers that is, not just one peep brown nosing or crying irl because they got flamed and couldn't hack it or sort it out.. then leave OT in the hands of the posters and unless it really gets out of control..I reckon ummm.. death threats could be a good reason, empty as they would be :eek:

IMO it would be fab if we had a place to post that was 'free speech' regardless of ANYTHING. However, the host of such a place might have to wear blue tights and red undies to cope with the hell that would be unleashed ...it seems. :eek:
I am not that host so I'll just flit around.
BW, FH are not my life but they have been fun in the past. If they get too strict I will just have to have more sex to fill up my time.. gee what a tough life ;)

oh an btw...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :clap:

V

VodkaFairy

Re: VodkaFairy

With 'your' I meant all the moderators, not just you, since I have no clue who sent out warnings, and who banned who.

And indeed I don't know why those people are banned, why did you remove those threads? To give us the idea that people will get banned for nothing or what ?

Call it postfarming, call it spamming, they're just having some fun and afaik nobody really cares about it, so why should the mods go into the trouble of banning people giving them a bad reputation, making people frustrated, just because you felt like putting a stupid rule in the CoC that doesn't allow postfarming/spamming.

A

Ala

Originally posted by old.ST200
VF the retarded dwarf. Not big, not clever.

^ Bit like your post ST :eek:

/hug Happy New Year u stalker :D

V

VodkaFairy

Originally posted by Driwen
I was pointing out that there is a rather large chance that you wont get your quote that you wanted.
You do that.

And only excal ot group might not be there, other people will be there most likely. Or atleast not because of FH ban behaviour. Also as was said on FH, FH=/= BW. The exact same rules dont apply there, they dont want spam there and people will have to adjust to the exact new rules. And they arent that awefully strict at FH.

I'm wondered why those people were banned. Obviously the reasons were erased, so how was I to know? And I wonder why they don't tolerate "spam" in FH eOT.

D

Driwen

I'm wondered why those people were banned. Obviously the reasons were erased, so how was I to know? And I wonder why they don't tolerate "spam" in FH eOT.

because you can spam irc channels aswell. They (the ones who set up and is paying for the servers) only want discussion on their boards. Not chitchat that could be done in an irc channel or on msn/icq. The mods have said this several times in the start on FH eOT though.

Z

Ziva

I was wrong about the PM and BI was right. I closed a thread possibly made by him and he sent me a PM which resulted in some oher PM's. So sorry for that :) And yes, my inbox get's full too quickly so i can't read the pms.

But what i didn't know when i posted that and know now is that BI got instabanned because his post was very bad. With warnings i am referring to people who didn't directly break the CoC since that are usually the people who don't understand or don't want to understand why they get banned. Break the CoC and you will most likely receive an instaban and i don't think you deserve to receive a warning for that.

And to Shrye: i think you make a lot of sense here but warnings i send out don't contain things in between the lines. I adress to what a user did "wrong" and ask them to stop it which they usually do. If they ignore that, stay in a happy mood and continue doing what they were then they might receive a ban in the end. But maybe you are right, and i should express the word warning, though i think correcting is a better word. Doesn't change the fact that many users don't seem to need it and simply understand a polite pm without the word "warning" in it :)

O

old.ST200

Re: Re: VodkaFairy

And indeed I don't know why those people are banned, why did you remove those threads? To give us the idea that people will get banned for nothing or what ?

The threads obviously contained inappropriate material.. please, THINK about it?

Call it postfarming, call it spamming, they're just having some fun and afaik nobody really cares about it, so why should the mods go into the trouble of banning people giving them a bad reputation, making people frustrated, just because you felt like putting a stupid rule in the CoC that doesn't allow postfarming/spamming.

Is it fine if I go out on a killing spree in the name of fun? I could go slaughter some junkies, nobody would really care much, nobody would miss them, so why should I go to jail? Just because they made some stupid law against killing people?

S

Shrye

Re: Re: Re: VodkaFairy

Is it fine if I go out on a killing spree in the name of fun? I could go slaughter some junkies, nobody would really care much, nobody would miss them, so why should I go to jail? Just because they made some stupid law against killing people?

If that was the opinion of the vast majority, chances would be very high that the laws would be changed to suit it.

To quote yourself, allow me to say:
THINK

O

old.ST200

Such as the laws against speeding? The majority of drivers do not agree with the current speed limits.

How about you think?

S

Shrye

Such as the laws against speeding? The majority of drivers do not agree with the current speed limits.

How about you think?

That'd just be proving my point exactly, at least in Denmark.

P

pez

How about you think?

the majority of drivers do agree with the current speed limits, some just like to break them a little and complain about them alot. A bit like mod baiting.

Which vaguely brings me on to my main point. eOT is extremely similar to the General General forums. Same community spirit, similar level of chat, similar amount of 1 line posts and spam from certain users. The big big difference though is General is alot bigger so the the spammers and effectively the cornerstones of the community have their grp diluted by people from all over BW/FH and new people to the forums. Thats where the main problem lies, i can name eOT in terms of people. Maybe 8-10 main names and 10 other half time members.

In short its a clique. Which is not fair or right and not entirely the fault of the people involved. Its the natural way of things and people have to make a big effort not to just post to their friends and semi ignore the others. The other main difference between eOT and Gen as i see it is the 'chatting/spam' which is linked to the clique and therefore more pronounced.

The other obvious one is mod baiting. Mods get baited for fun and it is fun but at some point you have to stop. Familiarity breeds contempt etc and although the mods want to be friends with you they also have to be slightly above you in order to be able to effectively discipline you. Which tbh they are not. Its offensive and humiliating when someone you deem a friend and on an equal footing as you shows they have total power and authority over you. No wonder people get upset and the only way they can fight back is by trying to undermine the authority of the mods which happens alot and supermods are called in.

Basically i think it should never have come to this. All the guys who got banned i find mostly entertaining and as a user i feel bad for not putting much effort in to breaking up their clique. I think the mods should have put more effort in too, although they may not have even seen the problem. And i also think the guys who got banned should have tried alot harder.

In conclusion, we all fucked up

A

Ala

FFS ST! Now you want to draw comparisons between 'incorrect' posting on a Game Forum and MASS MURDER!!!! o_O

Get a fucking grip boy!

O

old.ST200

I do have a grip, thats why I'm not whining about the new forums being nazified or anything :)

R

Rubric

With your current attitude, there won't be much left of FH before it even started. Of course you will take a more relaxed attitude when you've banned so many people at the start. There's noone left to ban :p

Anyway, it's obvious you don't care, nor want to change anything in your policy, so it's pretty much pointless having this discussion. I think the rules are way too strict, all I can do is let you know I guess.

In the end it's still you and your fellow mods who control everything there, I just wish you would actually relax a bit and stop banning all over the place without (imo) valid reasons. The mods are already disliked by alot of people anyway, bad way to start a new forum :p

No one left? i think BW got by before DAOC came about VF. You really are making yourself sound stupid tonight. A bit of gratutude to the people who have given us somewhere to post wouldnt go a miss. They didnt have to do it and they dont have to have DAOC forums. The least everyone can do is abide by their rules.

S

Shrye

Originally posted by Rubric
No one left? i think BW got by before DAOC came about VF. You really are making yourself sound stupid tonight. A bit of gratutude to the people who have given us somewhere to post wouldnt go a miss. They didnt have to do it and they dont have to have DAOC forums. The least everyone can do is abide by their rules.

Were you even around when the GOA forums closed? 'Cuz I do remember them talking explicitly about negotiations with BW, for all we know there could lie a contract inbetween the two corps (and with modern capitalism striking the internet, I'd be surprised if the two didn't make some kind of contract).

So... Only one sounding stupid, is you, Rubric.

R

Rubric

Originally posted by Shrye
Were you even around when the GOA forums closed? 'Cuz I do remember them talking explicitly about negotiations with BW, for all we know there could lie a contract inbetween the two corps (and with modern capitalism striking the internet, I'd be surprised if the two didn't make some kind of contract).

So... Only one sounding stupid, is you, Rubric.

Barrysworld is no more.

R

Ravenbourne

Its become so fotm to get banned after Loxley's childish antics, but now i think people are regretting it as they have nowhere to spam, tough luck

W

Whisperess

Haven't posted in this section for a good while, but for crying out loud; I haven't seen so many foolish comments in one place in a loooong time.

It doesn't matter HOW nice people are in general - if they break the CoC in a matter that upsets the moderators of Barrysworld - they deserve to be banned from said forums.

"just because you felt like putting a stupid rule in the CoC that doesn't allow postfarming/spamming." - VF.

Seriously VF - did you think at all before those posts?
You knew nothing of the subject, you just spewed your contempt for the rules of these forums. But guess what? If you don't like the rules then just f'ck off to some other place.

Respect the rules of the forums where you post, wether you like them or not, or go somewhere else; it's really that simple. Quite a few posts here might not upset those 8-10 people who consider themselves the elite of eOT - but there are more people who read these forums, and if they get upset about a subject they will ( hopefully ) report it. The rules are there for a reason ( look that word up in a dictionary or something because you seem to lack it completely ), and if you can't see the reason then try opening your eyes.

It is, if nothing else, causing a ton more work for the moderators. And add to that, who do you think you are when stating that the rules should be changed because you do not like them? And since you don't like the rules - it's okay for you to post whatever you wish; "it's not harming anyone"?

You really need a deep breath of Reality Air(tm).

V

VodkaFairy

Originally posted by Whisperess
Haven't posted in this section for a good while, but for crying out loud; I haven't seen so many foolish comments in one place in a loooong time.

It doesn't matter HOW nice people are in general - if they break the CoC in a matter that upsets the moderators of Barrysworld - they deserve to be banned from said forums.

"just because you felt like putting a stupid rule in the CoC that doesn't allow postfarming/spamming." - VF.

Seriously VF - did you think at all before those posts?
You knew nothing of the subject, you just spewed your contempt for the rules of these forums. But guess what? If you don't like the rules then just f'ck off to some other place.

Respect the rules of the forums where you post, wether you like them or not, or go somewhere else; it's really that simple. Quite a few posts here might not upset those 8-10 people who consider themselves the elite of eOT - but there are more people who read these forums, and if they get upset about a subject they will ( hopefully ) report it. The rules are there for a reason ( look that word up in a dictionary or something because you seem to lack it completely ), and if you can't see the reason then try opening your eyes.

It is, if nothing else, causing a ton more work for the moderators. And add to that, who do you think you are when stating that the rules should be changed because you do not like them? And since you don't like the rules - it's okay for you to post whatever you wish; "it's not harming anyone"?

You really need a deep breath of Reality Air(tm).

Erm, LOL at you thinking I'm really bothered one tiny bit irl about the people that are banned. I think it's pretty unnecessary tho, and a discussion is never wrong... it obviously bothered alot of people.

What is the entire point of making rules when they're fucking useless. What if the state made a rule which forbids people to sit on the street. It's not harming anyone, the people that do it enjoy themself (or whatever), and its more work for the police.

Same with "spamming", who the fuck cares. The forum is made by the community, and for the community, as long as they enjoy themself then there is no such thing as "good" or "bad" imo, unless in extreme causes. Extreme causes like racism, but not posting some silly threads ..

Those people are bored at work, come here to spend some time actually doing something, albeit stupid in your eyes, why do you complain really? Why put the burden on the mods to control those people?

Just relax with your rules, ffs :p

unban ppl & away with your stupid strict rules!

D

Damini

The people that enjoy spamming, enjoy it.

Those that don't are driven away from forums if they feel that anything they post will be consumed by post eating spamlings, or if they feel the entire community is dominated by IRCisms.

People rarely sign up to forums if they see discussions along the lines of -

Sharma stinks irl!

Omg, lol, shut up.

I'm bored.

Me too!

and other assorted spam shaped offerings. Nobody would look at a thread like that in a community they aren't familiar with and think, HEY! I WANT TO JOIN THAT COMMUNITY AND DISCUSS THIS ISSUE!

You have to look after all aspects of a community, and yes sometimes that means curbing the fun for some people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom