Best PC Single Player Games?

Helme

Resident Freddy
The cost argument isn't entirely honest in my opinion because if you want to enjoy console games you're going to have to invest in a decent TV. Sure a lot of people already owns one, especially if they're slightly older. You could also make the argument that the TV can be used for something else entirely, which is true - but so can a computer.

On top of that you're going to be paying $20 extra per game on the consoles. It adds up if you game a lot.

And yeah, you're going to have to deal with upgrades on the PC but in the last few years the prices for good hardware has gone down significantly, and because we're stuck with this consoles generation for at least a couple of years more you don't have to upgrade as often. My 3 year old computer still plays new games, sure not at max graphics anymore but they still run better, and look better than the console versions, which is very acceptable considering I paid £280 for all of it.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
You're pc/console arguement is retarded.

The downside to pc is cost, consistency and ease.

You get an out of the box xbox for £130 or whatever they go for and play any game in the last 2 years. Go get an out of the box pc for £130 and do the same.

Ok i'm sorry but what?

I may have misunderstood you here, but are you seriously saying that consoles have better compatibility to older and newer games then PC's do?

how many xbox 360 games work on a normal xbox or vice versa?

How many PS3 or PS2 games work on a PS1 or vice versa?

Can you play PS4 games on your PS3 when that console release, or the next gen xbox games on a 360?

Most stuff in my PC is ~5+ years old (hell my hard drives are 10 years old) and i can play all games up to today and have only had to upgrade my gfx card and PSU.

I can even play games that released 15 - 20 years ago. And can most likely play games that release a couple of years from today.

PC's only get expensive if you are a performance whore that can't stand playing games on anything but ultra delux setting.

Not to mention that PC games are generally a bit cheaper to buy then console games are, so you have to take that cost in to the calculation as well.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
How many PS3 or PS2 games work on a PS1 or vice versa?
Well to be fair, my 60GB PS3 is backward compatible with PS1 and PS2 games by emulation in hardware. It's the only model of PS3 to have it though.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
yeah sortly after both 360 and ps3 came out i sold my main rig pld mainly on both consoles, had a shitty lappy and atom based pc but nothing that would run games

enjoyed cod4 on 360 but missed playing mp games with peeps i knew and ejoyed gaming with for years. so now i play on pc also seems to be far less abusive cunts when you mp on pc

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Ok i'm sorry but what?

I may have misunderstood you here, but are you seriously saying that consoles have better compatibility to older and newer games then PC's do?
I'm pretty sure you've misunderstood, he's not saying anything about games being backward compatible from previous consoles. He's saying you can stick an Xbox 360 game into an Xbox 360 and have it work first time without any problems. PC's on the other hand don't always work so smoothly, you may need to fiddle about with drivers/compatibility shit etc first.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
I'm pretty sure you've misunderstood, he's not saying anything about games being backward compatible from previous consoles. He's saying you can stick an Xbox 360 game into an Xbox 360 and have it work first time without any problems. PC's on the other hand don't always work so smoothly, you may need to fiddle about with drivers/compatibility shit etc first.

The fact that I can be comfortable in the fact that any games that are released on PS3 will work with my system, is a huge plus for me for console gaming.

It's frustrating to look forward to new games that are announced knowing full well I'm going to have to buy a new gfx card or something for it to run properly.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Well to be fair, my 60GB PS3 is backward compatible with PS1 and PS2 games by emulation in hardware. It's the only model of PS3 to have it though.

All PS3s have PS1 emulation, it's only PS2 emulation thats in the fats.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
It's frustrating to look forward to new games that are announced knowing full well I'm going to have to buy a new gfx card or something for it to run properly.

Sure, it can be.

But isn't it equally frustrating to be forced to buy a completely new console every x years for WAY to much money to play the games for it because the one you have can't?

It's not so bad if you wait a while for the prices to go down on the consoles, but the same thing is true for the PC hardware. But if you want a new console on the day it release you are ending up paying roughly the same price as you would to get a decent gaming PC.

PC's are probably more expensive in the long run if you always need to have the best of the best, but on the other hand you have the choice to upgrade it over time instead of buying everything at once so at least for me it's more convenient that way.

I suppose most of the differences between consoles and PC's are taste issues, the only difference that actually holds any ground would be that consoles are not as forward compatible as PC's are. /edit: oh and you can't play xbox 360 games on a PS3, so you might even have to buy more then one console.

Sure a 10+ year old PC won't be able to play a game released now, but it won't cost nearly as much as a new console (the day it release) to make it able to at least play them acceptably if all you want is "good enough".

Soazak

Part of the furniture
It's more the knowledge that when GW/SW:Tor is released next year, there's a good chance I'm going to have to upgrade something. Gears of War 3 I know will run on my existing Xbox as it is.

Sure new consoles will be released in the future, probably at the same rate as PC upgrades are required...but I can feel confident that I won't have to make any changes to my Xbox or PS3 to play any games that are released in the near future, with a PC I can never quite have that peace of mind (unless like you say, you ensure your PC is maintained with the best of the best components).

Sometimes I prefer PC gaming over console gaming, but nothing beats the lazy-factor of consoles.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Yep, for ease of use consoles win hands down. But if they keep developing them the way they have with the latest generations i'm not so sure it will stay that way.

They are slowly but surely turning in to micro PC's at this rate.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
That's true, on the PS3 at least, the 'pick up and play' ability has nearly gone...I don't play it often, but every time I do it seems there is some huge system update or game patch that I need to dl and install before I can go online.

It gets frustrating when I only intend to play for 30 mins, and spend 15-20 mins patching :twak:

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
It gets frustrating when I only intend to play for 30 mins, and spend 15-20 mins patching :twak:

:iagree:

ECA said:
All PS3s have PS1 emulation, it's only PS2 emulation thats in the fats.
I suffered from panda punctuation. I single comma changed the emphasis of my original post.
Zenith.UK said:
Well to be fair, my 60GB PS3 is backward compatible with PS1, and PS2 games by emulation in hardware. It's the only model of PS3 to have it though.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Just bloody well installed D2 again; playing Median XL this time; in single player with /players 8 turned on. Quite the challenge so far; not amazingly so but I bet it'll be harder later on.

Amphrax

Part of the furniture
I would have to suggest...

Baldurs gate 1 and 2 + add ons
Icewind dale 1 and 2 + add ons

X-com terror from the deep

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Lots of good indie games of the last few years, ie
Torchlight
World of Goo
Plants vs Zombies :)

Did anyone mention the Jedi Knight games?

Hope you picked up Borderlands in the sale, fiver for the game with all DLC included was a fantastic deal. It's more fun coop though :)

Oh - what about Company of Heroes? Really good WW2 RTS

Amphrax

Part of the furniture
After seeing this thread made me install...

Baldurs Gate 1/2 and Icewindale 1/2!!!!!

I have to admit I've had Icewindale 1/2 for many years and never played it!! so this should be interesting...

I HATE YOU GUYS!!! :p

Yaka

Part of the furniture
baldurs gate 2:/ that took me fucking years to finish, think 3 years or so on and off in between various fps games that were popular at the time. i dont think i finished it 100% few side missions skipped. fucking grates me that but jesus i musta speant alot of hours playing it in total

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Deus Ex Human Revolution - Yup, new game but easily one of the greatest single player experiences i've had.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
baldurs gate 2:/ that took me fucking years to finish, think 3 years or so on and off in between various fps games that were popular at the time. i dont think i finished it 100% few side missions skipped. fucking grates me that but jesus i musta speant alot of hours playing it in total

BG2 is one of my all time absolute favorite games..

It's one of the few games whereas if you wanted to long to chose an option in certain conversations one of your companions would answer for you. :)

Usually the wrong answer resulting in horrible horrible consequences... :(

pikeh

Resident Freddy
No other games have ever had Baldurs Gate's sheer amount of possibilities.. Love it.

Amphrax

Part of the furniture
Baldurs gate experts :) can anyone give me good starting characters for

BG 1
BG 2
Icewind Dale 1 group set up
Icewind Dale 2 group set up

Helme

Resident Freddy
thief/mage is awesome in BG2. Haven't touched BG1 in like 6-7 years so can't remember much. I'd recommend looking up Tutu(?) for it btw. It allows you to run the first game in the BG2 engine, vastly better UI, prettier graphics and access to more classes.

There's also a few widescreen etc. tweaks out, and the games look very respectable in modern resolutions.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Baldurs gate experts :) can anyone give me good starting characters for

BG 1
BG 2
Icewind Dale 1 group set up
Icewind Dale 2 group set up

What Helme said. If you've got a spare day for installation, the Big World Project is worth a look. It vastly mods the game, but dosen't change the basic story etc, its pretty amazing and thats what I would install just as a matter of course if I was to playthrough again,

Amphrax

Part of the furniture
Cool, i never heard of it... Can anyone post links for this pls? :) i is a noob hehe

Helme

Resident Freddy
Pocket Plane Group - Bending Baldur's Gate 2 and the Infinity Engine
For BG1 in BG2's engine.

G3: Widescreen Mod
Widescreen mod, allows you to set whatever resolution you want on the games as long as it's bigger than 800x600. I've played it in 1440x900, and it looks great in many places due to the handpainted backgrounds. Downloads are on the infobox on the left, bit of a dumb design and it took me a few moments to spot it first.

Baldur's Gate II: The Collection FAQs
Has a couple of decent guides as well to get familiar with the D&D ruleset if you've never played games using it before, or if it's been a few years. Also a few pointers when making characters, not required by any means but it's a decent place to look if you've got a question and want some answers.

No idea what the BiG World Project actually is, but here's a link to to that as well: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/29916-the-big-world-project/

pez

Can't get enough of FH
I found the monk to be a really good BG2 char. You could basically keep him at the front doing all the main char shit and fight letting the other fellas do their bit and only pausing on the really tough stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom