Best PC Single Player Games?

Soazak

Part of the furniture
I'm starting to feel some fps are better on consoles nowadays tbh ;l

For me, PC gaming has become pretty mundane over the last few years..

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
It was said earlier but dismissed by some.

Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2

If you take your time and do all the side missions, you might JUST finish them in 2 weeks... if you play 8 hours a day. :)

I personally found them to be the most engrossing games I've played for a number of years.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
loved the first ME, dunno why but the coolest part of the game for me was the side mission on our moon. looking at the earth was cool

Aada

Part of the furniture
loved the first ME, dunno why but the coolest part of the game for me was the side mission on our moon. looking at the earth was cool

I love both tbfh easily one of the very best series so far ever made the whole series feels like one epic scifi movie. Both games are a joy to play.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I liked the mission where you're on the planet and look up at it's moon.
The moon has a 3000mile straight valley punched through it's surface, caused by a mass driven projectile tens of millions of years ago.
As you progress through ME and ME2, you find out a likely cause.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
me2 is on my to play list think after deus ex i'll play it

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
You're still trying to say that, even though you can play with the exact same controls, they are somehow worse.

You're usually fairly good at putting an argument forward, but I fear you are out of your depth this time.

I'm with Toht on this one, he actually went a bit out of his way not to derail and he explained his position and arguments with patience. You're either trolling, or you are an adamant defender of console ports, in which case you are deluded.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
For sure but if you actually just want to play the game and not worry about if your PC will not work with it for any given reason then console is the way.

People say that, but the last time this has been a problem for me was with the odd crash on fallout 3 due to a sound card driver being out of date. Fixed when I updated the driver. And I buy a lot of games. It's not something that happens very often, if at all.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I will agree to an extent about menus not working properly sometimes, that's on cheapo ports thought...which are usually terrible games anyway.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
I'm with Toht on this one, he actually went a bit out of his way not to derail and he explained his position and arguments with patience. You're either trolling, or you are an adamant defender of console ports, in which case you are deluded.

But nobody gave me an example of one game that is worse on PC than console. Not a single valid example. If I am wrong, why would it be so hard?

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Well, if i move away from the controls(which are explained before), we could take the new battlefield as an example, where consoles get an ingame server browser and PC does not.

If i recall that article correctly.

This; The Escapist : News : PC Battlefield 3 Lacks Key FPS Feature

Controls weren't explained because you somehow, inexplicably, think that using a gamepad on PC is different from using a gamepad on console.

Anyway. BF3:

1) They say it has a browser-based server browser. It is almost certainly better than the ingame solution that consoles have. PC FPS players have been using external server browsers for a long time, so... /shrug ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2) It's a FPS game. PC = mouse and keyboard. Console = .. analogue sticks. No contest there. At. All.

3) Graphically the PC version will blow the console versions away.

4) Rather play with the PC crowd than 12 year olds on Xbox Live :)

Note that I am asking which game is worse on PC than console. One feature (which actually sounds like an improvement to me, but whatever) is not enough to take away every other benefit. I didn't say every single aspect of every single PC game is better. Just overall, console versions are not superior.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Note that I am asking which game is worse on PC than console. One feature (which actually sounds like an improvement to me, but whatever) is not enough to take away every other benefit. I didn't say every single aspect of every single PC game is better. Just overall, console versions are not superior.

Well that's a statement that's completely different from the original.

Even still, consoles beat the PC in working on every console all the time, while PC users have restrictions depending on the kit.

Also interesting that in the same post you sy these two things;

Controls weren't explained because you somehow, inexplicably, think that using a gamepad on PC is different from using a gamepad on console.

--------

It's a FPS game. PC = mouse and keyboard.

There's the meat and taters of the control argument; PC is mouse +KB, controller does not take away from bad port design, where good prt design would support the key elements of a PC; mouse + KB.

BAd port design is worse on the PC due to that one fact.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Addition to above; You could say that YOU use a controller, but you have to merit a game by how it's seen by all players, genre and personal taste excluded.

Also on the BF3, it would be better with ingame server list, so without it it is worse.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Well that's a statement that's completely different from the original.

I said that I thought it was never the case that a console version was superior to a PC version, as someone was asking "PC or console" for Oblivion. I haven't changed that. I dunno what you thought I was saying.

Even still, consoles beat the PC in working on every console all the time, while PC users have restrictions depending on the kit.

Kind of like saying that BF3 on consoles suck because it won't work on my PS2, no?

There's the meat and taters of the control argument; PC is mouse +KB, controller does not take away from bad port design, where good prt design would support the key elements of a PC; mouse + KB.

BAd port design is worse on the PC due to that one fact.

The PC version can't be the worst version simply for not being superior. If it has the same controls, then it's the same. Being the same cannot mean it is worse. This is backwards logic.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I said that I thought it was never the case that a console version was superior to a PC version, as someone was asking "PC or console" for Oblivion. I haven't changed that. I dunno what you thought I was saying.

Actually you said;

I dunno if there is such a thing as a game that is better on consoles than PC...

To which i offered the port issue. If a game is exactly the same, but even a small thing as menus work less well on the PC, this means the PC version is inferior.

Kind of like saying that BF3 on consoles suck because it won't work on my PS2, no?

No. What is meant, and said quite clearly, is that consoles have no problems in compatibility, while PCs do. Even on high end computer you might have problems, but when a game works on a 360, it works on any 360.

´
The PC version can't be the worst version simply for not being superior. If it has the same controls, then it's the same. Being the same cannot mean it is worse. This is backwards logic.

Again, if there are same features, yet the controls are worse on a stock PC(controller is not stock equipment for the PC), then it's poor port design(controls have not been changed) and as such, with same features acorss the board except the controls being worse, the PC version is by default, worse. PC and console games can NOT be the same as the controls in itself are different.

It's like saying that a shooter is equal to a PC shooter if i hook up a keyboard and mouse on my xbox, you'd argue this is not true and that the PC versin is better.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
But nobody gave me an example of one game that is worse on PC than console. Not a single valid example. If I am wrong, why would it be so hard?
The latest splinter cell on the PC had the awful UbIDRM.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
"I thought it was never the case that a console version was superior to a PC version"

and

"I dunno if there is such a thing as a game that is better on consoles than PC...".

How are they different? Obviously my grasp of the English language is lacking compared to yours :)

To which i offered the port issue. If a game is exactly the same, but even a small thing as menus work less well on the PC, this means the PC version is inferior.

But you always have the inherent benefits of a PC. Load times, graphics options (even if they're only in your graphics driver, you still have them).

No. What is meant, and said quite clearly, is that consoles have no problems in compatibility, while PCs do. Even on high end computer you might have problems, but when a game works on a 360, it works on any 360.

This is true. However, I think that when we are comparing versions of a game, we must assume that both games are working in order to compare them.

Again, if there are same features, yet the controls are worse on a stock PC(controller is not stock equipment for the PC), then it's poor port design(controls have not been changed) and as such, with same features acorss the board except the controls being worse, the PC version is by default, worse. PC and console games can NOT be the same as the controls in itself are different.

It's like saying that a shooter is equal to a PC shooter if i hook up a keyboard and mouse on my xbox, you'd argue this is not true and that the PC versin is better.

As I said, there are always inherent benefits of running a game on PC. So it's not 100% identical except for the controls.

And yes, if you could use a KB/M setup on a console (like with UT3 on PS3), I would accept that the game controls are equal. Standard gear or not, the developers put the options in, so I rate the game based on that, not based on what gear the user does or does not have.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
This is true. However, I think that when we are comparing versions of a game, we must assume that both games are working in order to compare them.

You can't use that argument when you've stated that the PC has some inbuilt option changes that the console lacks and used it as a superiority argument.

Good with the bad, while the PC has options based on kits, it also has the downfall of lack of guaranteed performance.

I also stated that your argument changed due to bringing overall options on the table, instead of the original "HOW can a console be better". The how is answered, it can't be denied by switching to overall score.

And your latest post says it all, YOU not caring about something doesn't make the inferiority null.

As stated on BF3, the version is worse on the point of basic ingame serverbrowsing. Graphical settings work both ways, so that's null and controllers are nulled as well if we take your argument as a basis that control don't matter. You may not care about serverbrowsing, but your opinion is not a neutral scale on which version is worse.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Honestly I could not give two fucks about DRM. Not even one fuck.
That doesn't invalidate my point. If it did I could use the same retort for everything you've posted :p

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Can we leave the wank arguments aside, they're not really relevant to the thread.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Can we leave the wank arguments aside, they're not really relevant to the thread.

I'm cool with that, think everything's been said(maybe twice) and it'll just go roundyboundy from now on ;)

Starcontrol 2, fyi, will keep you busy for ages.

Free to download toohere.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Back on topic then you could do worse than nabbing borderlands GOTY edition thats on steam atm for £5

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Has anyone mentioned Ultima Underworld II yet ?

Turamber

Part of the furniture
I've bought and downloaded the original Knights of the Old Republic but just cannot make it work.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home

If you are talking about console ports, then it's hard, no impossible, to give such examples because it's down to personal taste.

something i think is a right fuck up of horrible proportions might be something you don't even notice, or doesn't think is such a big deal because you can work around it while i may not.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
You're pc/console arguement is retarded.

The downside to pc is cost, consistency and ease.

You get an out of the box xbox for £130 or whatever they go for and play any game in the last 2 years. Go get an out of the box pc for £130 and do the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom