Battlefield 3 Beta

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
theyve obviously improved it since i played the alpha then :)

Mabs

You tried judging the game from an alpha build?

That's a tad harsh don't you think?

nope im judging the design decision on the information available
and its pc-only, the console are getting the browser, so again it just smacks of forcing the issue with Origin

Embattle

FH is my second home
I personally don't care about the Origin factor, it seems a lot of noise over something that isn't that important.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
The PC version has bigger maps and stuff though, doesn't it? I know which I'd prefer.

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
nope im judging the design decision on the information available
and its pc-only, the console are getting the browser, so again it just smacks of forcing the issue with Origin

What has origin got to do with the use of battlelog? Origins only involvement is that it needs to be running in the background in order to launch BF3 (in the same way steam needs to be running to play a steam-based game) but that would be the case even if the server browser was ingame and you never had to visit battlelog.

And as for consoles getting an ingame server browser I can't help but think that's due solely to the impossibility of them using a similar system to that being proposed for the PC release. The console release has to have an ingame browser simply because there's no other way to do it.

Mabs

What has origin got to do with the use of battlelog? Origins only involvement is that it needs to be running in the background in order to launch BF3 (in the same way steam needs to be running to play a steam-based game) but that would be the case even if the server browser was ingame and you never had to visit battlelog.

the fact that its just another unneeded bit of clutter that you have to run "because" that serves no purpose

and if your going to make people run something that isnt actually part of the game, make it a small easy to use steam-like package, not a heap of shite, in 2 parts :p

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
the fact that its just another unneeded bit of clutter that you have to run "because" that serves no purpose

What? Are we talking about origin or battlelog here?

and if your going to make people run something that isnt actually part of the game, make it a small easy to use steam-like package, not a heap of shite, in 2 parts :p

What's difficult to use about origin? Or battlelog for that matter? For the entire time I was in the alpha I had origin loaded in the background, it logged me in automatically when I booted up and then sat there quietly not bothering me and using up a tiny amount of resources. The most hassle it involved was installing it and logging in for the first time which took all of about 30 seconds. I don't even recall seeing it when playing BF3. And as for battlelog it's a website, it couldn't really have been simpler to use unless it actually loaded itself and picked a server for you.

Embattle

FH is my second home
The PC version has bigger maps and stuff though, doesn't it? I know which I'd prefer.

That plus better graphics in general esp on high end hardware and more players in multiplayer, 64 PC vs 24 Console.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You only need to load Origin if for some reason you've decided that it using a couple of meg of memory and no processor time is too "resource intensive" to have it running in teh background and you open a browser window and log into battlelog once at the start of your gaming session. Why would you close hte browser window down each time you connect to a server? BF3 loads from the browser into an actual playable state in the same sort of time as a game like BC2 loads from the ingame server browser and it quits back out in the same time as BC2 takes to disconnect and dump you back at the menu. You don't spend any extra time waiting and in fact probably spend less time between deciding you want to play and actually getting into a game.

Or they could have an in-game browser with the same functionality, making it even faster to boot into a game? Perhaps even an in-game overlay you can bring up so you don't have to leave the action?

It's bullshit. It's about selling you stuff through a more easily managed web portal than providing the best gaming experience.

I love the games but they're always buggy on release (especially netcode) and you've got the extra added EA bullshit to deal with.

Mabs

the sad thing is
i would rather buy BF3 than give Bobby "im a hateful cunt" Kotick any more cash

but i can get MW 3 through steam, and it will just run, not have to fuck about with EA shitty new concept launcher and as Scouse pointed out, the problems you always get at launch aswell

so it comes back to why the hell did they drop Steam ? shooting themselves in the foot tbh :\

i loved BFBC2, and was going to get BF3, now im probably not going to, cos its too much hassle.
and ive gone off Activision Blizzard

oh well, Red Orchestra 2 is out in 3 weeks, thatll keep me going a while :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
This sorta stuff will do them no favours.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
aye after reading that think i may not bother as well

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Fuck sake, count me out.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Balls. I already installed Origin to participate in the alpha. I guess they own my soul.

Stupid fucking move on their part though.

Remind anyone of that south park episode about the Apple iTunes licence agreement?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yeah, except with less stitching of mouths to arses.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Damn, was looking forward to 64 player maps, guess i'll stick to 24.

This sort of thing seems to be becoming common.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
Seems it's gone from this:

Consent to Collection and Use of Data.

You agree that EA may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online services. EA may also use this information combined with personal information for marketing purposes and to improve our products and services. We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you. IF YOU DO NOT WANT EA TO COLLECT, USE, STORE, TRANSMIT OR DISPLAY THE DATA DESCRIBED IN THIS SECTION, PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THE APPLICATION. This and all other data provided to EA and/or collected by EA in connection with your installation and use of this Application is collected, used, stored and transmitted in accordance with EA's Privacy Policy located at EA Games - Electronic Arts. To the extent that anything in this section conflicts with the terms of EA's Privacy Policy, the terms of the Privacy Policy shall control.

To this:

EA knows that you care how information about you is collected, used and shared, and we appreciate your trust that we will do so carefully and sensibly. Information about our customers is an important part of our business, and EA would never sell your personally identifiable information to anyone, nor would it ever use spyware or install spyware on users’ machines. We and agents acting on our behalf do not share information that personally identifies you without your consent, except in rare instances where disclosure is required by law or to enforce EA’s legal rights.

In addition to information that you give EA directly, EA collects nonpersonally identifiable (or anonymous) information for purposes of improving our products and services, providing services to you, facilitating the provision of software updates, dynamically served content and product support as well as communicating with you. The non-personally identifiable information that EA collects includes technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address) and operating system, as well as information about your Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware. As noted above, this information is gathered periodically for purposes such as improving our products and services, troubleshooting bugs, and otherwise enhancing your user experience.

This and all other data provided to EA and/or collected by EA in connection with your installation and use of this Application is collected, used, stored and transmitted in accordance with EA’s Privacy Policy located at EA Games - Electronic Arts. To the extent that anything in this section conflicts or is inconsistent with the terms of EA’s Privacy Policy, the terms of the Privacy Policy shall control.

Looks like they've just made it sound nicer tbh, as if they're trying to clarify they will still take the information, however the information will not be personal stuff :p

Yaka

Part of the furniture
really was looking forward to this game as well:/

Yaka

Part of the furniture
vlave i think stick to collecting info on steam and thier products they wont go about harvesting everything off our hdds. atleast i hopes not

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
At i-series and looks like there will be a demo on sunday. Hopefully I will be able to get my hands on it.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Played a bit last night, but was in a rush so I will reserve full judgement. Few things bugged me with the Beta set up, didn't like the whole Battlelog browser thing. Didn't like the fact that you had to be ingame and alive to change options. Got killed 3 times trying to change things and it would take me out of the options and I couldn't go back until I spawned in. I enjoyed actually playing the game, though you can still where it needs work.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
the sad thing is
i would rather buy BF3 than give Bobby "im a hateful cunt" Kotick any more cash

but i can get MW 3 through steam, and it will just run, not have to fuck about with EA shitty new concept launcher and as Scouse pointed out, the problems you always get at launch aswell

so it comes back to why the hell did they drop Steam ? shooting themselves in the foot tbh :\

i loved BFBC2, and was going to get BF3, now im probably not going to, cos its too much hassle.
and ive gone off Activision Blizzard

oh well, Red Orchestra 2 is out in 3 weeks, thatll keep me going a while :)

Mabs this just about says exactly what I think about it too.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
Played a bit last night, but was in a rush so I will reserve full judgement. Few things bugged me with the Beta set up, didn't like the whole Battlelog browser thing. Didn't like the fact that you had to be ingame and alive to change options. Got killed 3 times trying to change things and it would take me out of the options and I couldn't go back until I spawned in. I enjoyed actually playing the game, though you can still where it needs work.

Yea, to be honest I I only played it for 10 minutes, but I wasn't really that impressed :(

Seemed nothing like BFBC2 or even MOH...just felt...different, not in a good way. May be just due to it being a beta, this is why I try to avoid playing beta..gives me a shitty impression of the game that might not be accurate at release..I fell through the floor quite a few times :l

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom