avalon

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
I'll judge peeps according to the shit they post here anyhow, and treat em accordingly in game.

Wouldn't it be the classic mistake of mixing the forum up with the game? See Crom's argument above, just different order :).

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
On topic: I think FH aggro clearly feeds back into the atmosphere in-game and times when there's been alot of it, general feeling between guilds and players in-has been very hostile.

Some peeps might decide not to bother playing anymore because of it as it's not very plesant or relaxing anymore, depends how sensitive to it you are.

I'll judge peeps according to the shit they post here anyhow, and treat em accordingly in game.

On the whole, I think on both sides the FH whineage and the vendettas fed the game and got people fired up. Point ive made quite a lot is that I dont see these whines being made at the poor under trodden rog zergers , just trying to do their best with there meager in game talents (as sometimes its painted). It was always two opposing sides, fighting like cat and dog, and for the most part enjoying getting stuck in. Both sides gave as good as they got.

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
Wouldn't it be the classic mistake of mixing the forum up with the game? See Crom's argument above, just different order :).

Yes :( Then again, maeloch was drunk for 90% of his play time in those days. Even more reason to be proud of those solo skills. He often called me for tech support saying his screen had gone all blurry.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
aika said:
You had to have an account on Clanbase if you wanted to participate in the ladder, if you wanted to arrange "wars" (Clan-Matches) it all went through Clanbase. And after every match there was usually a report of it to which ppl can respond, and basically everyone read it. Yet I didnt see any ppl leaving the game cause of it :)

What if you didn't want to participate in the ladder?

I've never really done the counterstrike this so I genuinly don't know, but i'd imagine that if you didn't want the epeen and arguments you'd just play happily in none ladder games.

In DAoC you simply had to know about and visit the forum to actually play sensibly, regardless of if you wanted to compete for most RP's this week or not.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Cromcruaich said:
You as usual are making the classic mistake of mixing up FH with in game. To my knowledge there are no instances of either Gahn or Jupi being abusive of people in game because of that persons playstyle - do you see how that is the important point? Also did you not read the first line - about operating within GoA's code of conduct?

Lets get one thing straight first off. I agree 100% with not enforcing stuff in game based on what's posted on here. It would be too easy to create fake accounts and flame under them anyway.

It's not about if it should of been enforced or not, or even if people should of done it or not. It's about the effect it might of potentially of had on the population (and short of 2 parallel universes it's all going to be hypothetical).

Maeloch said:
On topic: I think FH aggro clearly feeds back into the atmosphere in-game and times when there's been alot of it, general feeling between guilds and players in-has been very hostile.

Some peeps might decide not to bother playing anymore because of it as it's not very plesant or relaxing anymore, depends how sensitive to it you are.

I think this is the important point instead of all the "point to the magic post that made you quit" stuff that's been bantered around. It wasn't the post, but the atmosphere they produced. At one point in the game it simply stopped being mid vs hib vs alb, and instead became group A vs group B.
I've been playing on the US servers for a bit and the attitude in game is always the albs and mids are our enemy, lets kill them. On Dyvet it was much more Players over there are our enemy. The realm spirit was pretty much none existant and instead of the fights occuring on the battlefield, they happened within the alliances and BG's created. In every Alb RvR BG there would be some argument between 2 types of player about some playstyle related issue.
Fights between 2 rvr groups arn't a problem. It was the fights between Alb group A and Alb group B that created an environment that simply wasn't the fun relaxing game that people came home to unwind with.

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
Lets get one thing straight first off. I agree 100% with not enforcing stuff in game based on what's posted on here. It would be too easy to create fake accounts and flame under them anyway.

It's not about if it should of been enforced or not, or even if people should of done it or not. It's about the effect it might of potentially of had on the population (and short of 2 parallel universes it's all going to be hypothetical).

I think this is the important point instead of all the "point to the magic post that made you quit" stuff that's been bantered around. It wasn't the post, but the atmosphere they produced. At one point in the game it simply stopped being mid vs hib vs alb, and instead became group A vs group B.
I've been playing on the US servers for a bit and the attitude in game is always the albs and mids are our enemy, lets kill them. On Dyvet it was much more Players over there are our enemy. The realm spirit was pretty much none existant and instead of the fights occuring on the battlefield, they happened within the alliances and BG's created. In every Alb RvR BG there would be some argument between 2 types of player about some playstyle related issue.
Fights between 2 rvr groups arn't a problem. It was the fights between Alb group A and Alb group B that created an environment that simply wasn't the fun relaxing game that people came home to unwind with.

I still dont think this had a major impact on population. Not convinced me at all either way (and I am open minded enough to be prepared to be convinced!) - I could equally frame arguments that would support the idea that the rivalries encouraged players to play longer. Wouldnt necessarily make it so ofcourse. Just hasnt been that direct evidence to demonstrate otherwise.

Not much more to add really, as I realise it would be next to impossible to proove. I'm prepared to say you could be right, but i'd still maintain it was largely insignificant. Would be interesting to know how many players as a percentage of population we're actively using FH at the peak, but that path could only be used to reinforce the suggestion that FH had a minimal impact - certainly Requeil was always at pains to point out that FH was not representitive of the majority of players numerically.

Ahh well, interesting conversation. And I consider it a successful thread as I got somewhere with Kinetix.

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
Well, what's to mix up? How seperate are they really? Both FH and in-game comms = the daoc community, just different channels, mebbe the etiquette is different, I dunno. I take stuff said here with more of a pinch of salt, but no way would I see them as totally seperate entities. Most of peeps I know tend to have have FH on in background while playing and be alt tabbing in downtime.

On the whole, I think on both sides the FH whineage and the vendettas fed the game and got people fired up. Point ive made quite a lot is that I dont see these whines being made at the poor under trodden rog zergers , just trying to do their best with there meager in game talents (as sometimes its painted). It was always two opposing sides, fighting like cat and dog, and for the most part enjoying getting stuck in. Both sides gave as good as they got.
I suppose it depends if you thrive on the hostile environment or just find it depressing. I never liked the relentless negativity in game and on forums you got a couple of yrs back, but haha wasn't about to be driven from the game by the wankers. I can see peeps getting upset by in tho, or just not having a strong enuff attachment to the game to be motivated to put up with it.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Cromcruaich said:
I still dont think this had a major impact on population. Not convinced me at all either way (and I am open minded enough to be prepared to be convinced!) - I could equally frame arguments that would support the idea that the rivalries encouraged players to play longer. Wouldnt necessarily make it so ofcourse. Just hasnt been that direct evidence to demonstrate otherwise.

Not much more to add really, as I realise it would be next to impossible to proove. I'm prepared to say you could be right, but i'd still maintain it was largely insignificant. Would be interesting to know how many players as a percentage of population we're actively using FH at the peak, but that path could only be used to reinforce the suggestion that FH had a minimal impact - certainly Requeil was always at pains to point out that FH was not representitive of the majority of players numerically.

I'm aware that it's always going to remain something that's impossible to prove. One thing I am curious about is how much the lack of advertising actually affected the population.
Most of the people who I know play DAoC tended to hear about it through word of mouth.. If you want to play that type of game you find out it exists. Yeah the huge WOW populations in comparison were down to mass marketing, but how many people currently playing on the German servers started the game based on seeing adverts from GOA for example.

I guess that would be the true way of finding out if the lack of newbies on Dyvet was because of no advertising or the treatment they got in their time here.

Arethir

Fledgling Freddie
I started playing the game because a friend of mine played it. He started playing the game because his sister(who lived in France) did it. I heard from a friend of mine though that he'd heard about this game before, in a gaming magazine some 5+ years ago. Before the launch. But that's the only place I've ever heard (never seen myself) the game being talked about in public.

This is in Bergen/Norway btw :)

uneducated

Fledgling Freddie
Haha bergen ja :x

Oh, and same goes for me as arethir, started playing it with a friend when we saw it in a shop, reading the backside of the box, thinking it looked cool:p

Arethir

Fledgling Freddie
Oh, and I have yet to find a single person from anywhere close to Bergen playing this game (apart from my mate ofc!). So can't really say it's a very known or common game around here :X

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
I suppose it depends if you thrive on the hostile environment or just find it depressing. I never liked the relentless negativity in game and on forums you got a couple of yrs back, but haha wasn't about to be driven from the game by the wankers. I can see peeps getting upset by in tho, or just not having a strong enuff attachment to the game to be motivated to put up with it.

Possibly/probably - the point still remains that I never felt that there were these evil full groupers forcing their will on the down trodden masses on FH. Just a load of people having ago at another load of people, who had a go at another load of people. You we're either into it, or you werent - if you werent you didnt even bother replying.

Didnt really see 'relentless negativity' in the game either. Few years ago we'd whine at Stupeh and he'd whine back, there was the 'eclipse' incident for NFD, but I liked that stuff - was part of the intrigue. And again that was nowt to do with a zerger/fg - leet/down trodden mass thing - it was inter guild arguing.

Still waiting to see all these old threads where poor defenceless noobs have been beaten into depressing submission on these boards. My impression is that everyone has done there fare share of beating off here.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
I can get your fine policy from posts of the ones like Gahn and Jupiter. The policy is not worth the bits it has been written on like ALL policies of most of the groups/guilds that have been out there.

Time u visit a doctor or summit to get rid of this phobia u have :flame:

brad

Fledgling Freddie
Bradlex stopped grouping with me for a while which he said was because people stopped treating him like a soloer. I am sure you can find a few threads on here involving whines about Bradlex getting healed.

There are a few more example but most just involve xxxx not grouping with anyone in yyyy guild because someone on FH said they were lame.

That was due to personal play style though. I soloe'd a majority of the time, if it became harder for me to solo because the usual fg's who left me got annoyed with me adding on their fights when in a mid pug group then that would affect my end result as a soloer. I wasn't leet in anyways at all. The amount of keep take raids and RR's I did before the Clustre and afterwards was tremendous.

However to make it easier for myself in the long run, if I could avoid grouping with people that didn't have the same point of view as I did on fair fights etc then i tried not to group with them. But that wasn't because i wanted them to play the same way as me. Everyone has the right to play the game the way they liked, it was just easier for me to group with people that had the same views as me. I accepted if i were to join a pug that they would add, and i would deal with that. I might ask if they could leave the odd soloer alone but if they didn't I had no power to deal with it.

Therefore I tended not to go into pug groups as it was anti-productive for me. I enjoyed the fights I had and the community I was in, both allied and enemy. Rp's were a secondary bonus for me.....I got the rush from seeing entire hib Relic Raids run passed me just because of the reputation i once had. And for me that was the best part of the game. It would be hard to name people that would or have had the same stance as me when dealing with realm v's realm.

For me I got enjoyment from rvr knowing I could have fun and so could others.

P.S. Hey everyone.;)

Bondoila

Fledgling Freddie
Oh, and I have yet to find a single person from anywhere close to Bergen playing this game (apart from my mate ofc!). So can't really say it's a very known or common game around here :X
Played with a great warden ,Valdon, in OF. He's from the same place :)
(when daoc was at it's very best)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom