Any Spaniards or ex-pat brits?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's a pisser because I had a business lined up and Mrs Yuck had a job lined up. We were due to buy our house in the next few months. We are gutted because we have been so excited about this change in lifestyle.
Go anyway. I think it's *highly* unlikely that changes will be applied retrospectively - if they kicked our immigrants we'd kick theirs, so it's probably a non-starter.

But I hear you on the money not going as far. The value of the pound is an absolute shitter - but leave campaigners don't seem to have a fucking scooby when it comes to their own net worth.

Go anyway - or you'll feel bitter in the knowledge that half the people you see around you pissed on your dreams for idiotic non-reasons...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I can't see what difference it would make...

We won't be leaving for at least 2 years, probably much longer. I fully expect the UK and Europe to have an amnesty on people...that's if we don't negotiate some sort of middle-ground anyway.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I can't see what difference it would make...
Apart from the value of the pound falling through the floor - making any house purchase he'd make *significantly* more expensive - and all the other uncertainty that goes with brexit giving him pause for thought and anxiety about his and his families' future?

Enough anxiety for him to actually give up on his dreams, as per right now..

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
@~Yuckfou~ go!! I left the UK when the pound dropped to 1:1 vs the Euro... Change of job and my bad luck. Yes I didn't have the same level of disposable income.... Yes it was the scariest and most exciting thing I have ever done (I did it alone... No other half moving with me) and yes in the NL was the hardest I have ever done but when I look back on my first move it was the most awesome period in my life.... So go!

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
At the moment we have freedom to live, work and set up a business in Spain. In two years or so who knows? It's all maybes, "they wouldn't do that" etc. But who thought last Thursday we would have voted out? Anything could happen, and until there's some clarity I'm not prepared to gamble.
We would be selling our home, quitting our work and spending a lot of our cash. Coming home and re-establishing would be difficult if we needed to. I'm 54, getting back in work/business and getting a mortgage would be a nightmare. The house we had bought might be unsaleable, or the sale taxed heavily. We really don't know. Besides that, at the moment the houses we have been looking at are *many* thousands of pounds more expensive than last week.
We've thought about it, and come to the shitty decision that we have to "wait and see". It sucks but we have to think about our long term future.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
At the moment we have freedom to live, work and set up a business in Spain. In two years or so who knows? It's all maybes, "they wouldn't do that" etc. But who thought last Thursday we would have voted out? Anything could happen, and until there's some clarity I'm not prepared to gamble.
We would be selling our home, quitting our work and spending a lot of our cash. Coming home and re-establishing would be difficult if we needed to. I'm 54, getting back in work/business and getting a mortgage would be a nightmare. The house we had bought might be unsaleable, or the sale taxed heavily. We really don't know. Besides that, at the moment the houses we have been looking at are *many* thousands of pounds more expensive than last week.
We've thought about it, and come to the shitty decision that we have to "wait and see". It sucks but we have to think about our long term future.

Agree, given your specific circumstances. Of course you could always move to somewhere outside the EU altogether, although that still wouldn't solve your shite exchange rate issue.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Spain, france.

I think the right wing is strong in france and spain theres so much unemployment that people will be discontented.

I think it would be an interesting time if they had votes across europe.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Fair play, when I left I had work (same company) and the decision effected me only :)

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Back in 2012 it was worth £0.9, no one was shouting doom then.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Besides that, at the moment the houses we have been looking at are *many* thousands of pounds more expensive than last week.
I don't get how @Raven and @Job don't get the basic economic fact that we're all a lot poorer because of this.

Actually, I think raven gets it but doesn't care. But job doesn't get it at all. Since the pound has never been worth 0.9 pounds...

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Eh?
The Euro was worth 90p, now its worth 83p

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Actually, I think raven gets it but doesn't care.

Correct. We are reaping what we have sown.

Also, edit. The pound is still worth exactly £1.

Its all short term anyway, its at the level it was 3 years ago, it will bounce back again.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Also, edit. The pound is still worth exactly £1.
The fact that you've bothered to type that shows you simply don't give a shit about @~Yuckfou~'s current situation at all.

Yuck isn't "reaping what he sowed" - or any of the other remain crowd. Yuck is having his opportunity shat on. You'd think at least some sympathy would be in order...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
The Pound was lower against the Euro back in 2008; but of course that was part of a deliberate policy (quantitative easing); whereas this is just rudderless flapping about and panic.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The Pound was lower against the Euro back in 2008; but of course that was part of a deliberate policy (quantitative easing)
yep, on the back of a financial crisis where people were "shouing doom" - and we've had years of austerity and all the shit that went with that too...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The fact that you've bothered to type that shows you simply don't give a shit about @~Yuckfou~'s current situation at all.

Yuck isn't "reaping what he sowed" - or any of the other remain crowd. Yuck is having his opportunity shat on. You'd think at least some sympathy would be in order...

ofc I have sympathy on a personal level but unfortunately there are another 60million people.

But honestly, what are you trying to do? Will bitching like a child change anything? Nope

It is still viable to move to Spain, I would leave it a year, myself... But temporary shit storms arent going to effect the long term.

Last edited:

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Necro thread.

So 3 years later the stars have aligned and we are going. Fuck Brexit!
Advice from our Spanish Lawyer is that if we are there fully signed up and in the system before 29th March it is highly unlikely we would be turfed out. Self employed, paying NI contributions, Residencia, cash in the bank etc.
So, early January going for a couple of weeks to make sure that we are both fully on board and look at a few properties. If all is well come home for a week or so and drive back down packed for 4 months and with the dog! Live in a long term rental to take us over the 29th March. If then we are still looking OK drive back home, sell the cars, house, and move lock stock and barrel and buy a property.

Lawyers already opening our Spanish bank accounts and getting us our NI cards.

It would be an understatement to say that we are a bit excited.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Necro thread.

Advice from our Spanish Lawyer is that if we are there fully signed up and in the system before 29th March it is highly unlikely we would be turfed out. Self employed, paying NI contributions, Residencia, cash in the bank etc.
So, early January going for a couple of weeks to make sure that we are both fully on board and look at a few properties. If all is well come home for a week or so and drive back down packed for 4 months and with the dog! Live in a long term rental to take us over the 29th March. If then we are still looking OK drive back home, sell the cars, house, and move lock stock and barrel and buy a property.

Nice. Best of luck :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Awesome!

Rent yer house out in the UK?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Necro thread.

What @Wij said. Best of luck on your new journey.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Nope, need the dosh from the sale.
Also no plans on coming back, evar!
Indeed. This country is now run by clueless morons with a different bunch of clueless morons waiting in the wings. If I could speak another language I’d be off (or trying to persuade the wife at least.)

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Indeed. This country is now run by clueless morons with a different bunch of clueless morons waiting in the wings. If I could speak another language I’d be off (or trying to persuade the wife at least.)

I have a head start but Mrs Yuck is using Duolingo on her phone.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I'm in Barcelona at the moment for work. Not entirely sure I'd suggest the political situation here is any better than the UK, but as long as you aren't young and looking for a job and don't move to Catalonia you'll be fine.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
If I could speak another language I’d be off (or trying to persuade the wife at least.)

Is this what happens when you use russianbrides.com?:cool:

SilverHood

FH is my second home

Come to America! Our morons in charge aren't clueless.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Yucks Log, Star Date 22012019:

We have recently returned from travels in the Almeria Province. While there we encountered a new race, they call themselves "Spaniards". They have a lot to do to catch up with our civilisation. They speak another language but engage patiently when you try to converse with them. I did use my Universal Translator and that helped with the more difficult exchanges.
Also they do not seem to have fully developed the use of the motor vehicle. The motorways were empty, and traffic is nonexistent.
Their food is made of fresh ingredients and prepared as it is ordered, strange. They also seem to have little understanding of economics. The cost of this "fresh" food makes it difficult to spend your credits.
We sought a permanent shelter while we were there. We happened across a property they call a "Cortijo". This "Cortijo" had more space than seemed necessary for their existence. It also stood on 3 hectares of land. This seemed more than necessary for the "Olive Trees" that they seem to favour growing on it. This domicile also had extra buildings that seemed perfectly suited to create extra shelter that could be used for short term travellers, maybe at a cost. Something they call "Rent". Producing an income that would support them.
They had built this "Cortijo" 1 kilometre away from a "Pueblo". The "Pueblo" however only had 320 inhabitants. Luckily, there was another larger "Pueblo" only a five minute drive away in one of their cars. This would allow them to replenish an supplies not available within walking distance.
We decided to see if a purchase of this "Cortijo" could be negotiated so that our crew could rest there when off duty. The main structure of the building is marginal as it has been unoccupied for a decade. Previously most of the interior of the building had been set aside for animal husbandry so would require some reconfiguration. It is unlikely that the female crew would be happy sleeping in a pigsty.

Our negotiations continue with our offer currently at 45% of the asking price.

Yuck out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom