Any Spaniards or ex-pat brits?

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
I lived in Spain for a couple of years a long long time ago :) Ever since then I've wanted to return but career, wife and just other stuff has prevented this. Well last week completely out of the blue Mrs Yuck said she wants out and Spain looks good. So a happy dance ensued :) I think yet another crappy summer was the tipping point. I actually suggested somewhere in the Caribbean but she wants to be reasonably close to her family back here.
Now, we can't go for maybe a year or two but we've started looking around at where we might like to go. Plan is (depending) on finances to rent out our house here and buy somewhere over there. So an income from rental and an escape plan if we decide nope not for us or someone gets ill or whatever. We are not planning on coming back until very late in life, so house here also tops up the pension :)
So living on the coast is expensive, but a little way inland (20/30 minutes) and a 4 bed house with pool is doable. Especially in an area not wholly populated by tourists. We want plenty of room for family to come and visit whenever they want.
We've also (for now at least) got to earn a living. I might buy/start a small business, not sure what yet but something outdoors, that is after all the point. Pissing down here, again, generally 30 or so and sunny on the Costas today.
I pretty much know about all the paperwork we are going to need and will be using professionals to make sure everything is done correctly.
So anyone out there already or planning similar, got tips?

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Isn't Spain still a bit fucked? Economically speaking.

Yup, a little, but recovering slowly. Getting a work permit will be difficult if there's a Spaniard who can do the job. But going self employed or buying a business is fairly easy. Our thinking is to be nearish to large expat communities and earn a living off them somehow. By this I don't mean benidorm :) The fucked part means that houses in some areas are half the price that they were, and when the economy recovers we win:) There's quite a lot of cheap bank repossessions. Purely as an example, this is maybe the type of property we are looking at. That could be bought for £110,000 as there is at least 10% leeway on all the asking prices.
We will be there for a long time, maybe 20 or 30 years probably so should profit from the house sale eventually at the very least.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Personally, I'd rather live with the locals, - I wouldn't want to move to a foreign country to live with expats.

That being said, I'm not sure if they're too similar too the French culture (Although this could be BS)

@caLLous could clear it up - and then you could find out if it's similar in Spain;

Stuff like building a house - You have to use certain builders and certain craftsmen to do certain jobs, they'll over charge you massively, but they're the local respected builders and stuff, and if you don't use them then the local community will shun you.

This is clearly more the case for smaller towns/villages.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Yup, a little, but recovering slowly. Getting a work permit will be difficult if there's a Spaniard who can do the job. But going self employed or buying a business is fairly easy. Our thinking is to be nearish to large expat communities and earn a living off them somehow. By this I don't mean benidorm :) The fucked part means that houses in some areas are half the price that they were, and when the economy recovers we win:) There's quite a lot of cheap bank repossessions. Purely as an example, this is maybe the type of property we are looking at. That could be bought for £110,000 as there is at least 10% leeway on all the asking prices.
We will be there for a long time, maybe 20 or 30 years probably so should profit from the house sale eventually at the very least.

Work permit? Aren't you British?

Going to invest in property anywhere in the Eurozone is good if you have your Engleesh Pounds at the moment. What sort of business do you want to get into?

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Personally, I'd rather live with the locals, - I wouldn't want to move to a foreign country to live with expats.

That being said, I'm not sure if they're too similar too the French culture (Although this could be BS)

@caLLous could clear it up - and then you could find out if it's similar in Spain;

Stuff like building a house - You have to use certain builders and certain craftsmen to do certain jobs, they'll over charge you massively, but they're the local respected builders and stuff, and if you don't use them then the local community will shun you.

This is clearly more the case for smaller towns/villages.

Plan is to live with the locals, but earn a living off the expats as they are the ones with the money. We are looking for "village life". Not looking to build just maybe

Work permit? Aren't you British?

Going to invest in property anywhere in the Eurozone is good if you have your Engleesh Pounds at the moment. What sort of business do you want to get into?

Yup British, but need a work permit if employed, and a Residencia if staying over 3 months. Will pay tax there and income from home rental here will be included in income. I can go self employed and will pay 250 euros or so per month in their version of National Insurance regardless of income.
Business wise no idea :) Definitely not a bar or restaurant. Maybe Property management or something like that.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Surely not on the work permit? Otherwise what the fuck is going on?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Plan is to live with the locals, but earn a living off the expats as they are the ones with the money. We are looking for "village life". Not looking to build just maybe

Yup British, but need a work permit if employed, and a Residencia if staying over 3 months. Will pay tax there and income from home rental here will be included in income. I can go self employed and will pay 250 euros or so per month in their version of National Insurance regardless of income.
Business wise no idea :) Definitely not a bar or restaurant. Maybe Property management or something like that.

Are you sure about that? I've never heard of that for EU citizens. You usually need the local equivalent of an NI number, but that's not the same thing, and there shouldn't be any "Spanish person could do that job" shit for an EU citizen; except for the recent accession state restrictions - which wouldn't apply to you - any EU citizen can do any job they're qualified for. I've just had a quick scan around and it seems to be fairly clear there isn't an issue for EU peeps:
http://www.expatica.com/es/visas-and-permits/Work-in-Spain-Guide-to-Spanish-work-visas_103258.html
http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Portal...ormacionParaExtranjeros/Paginas/Trabajar.aspx

Spanish government site just says you're given the rights in the relevant EU treaties, which means you can work where you like without restriction...

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Yes, less than a minute on google suggests that unless you're croatian you won't need a work permit.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I've moved twice within Europe and on both occasions I have just needed the equivalent of an NI number, although in Sweden to get this I had to prove I had a Job through migrationsverket. The other alternatives were cohabitation or prove I am self sufficient - neither option was viable... I can apply for citizenship this year if I get around to filing for divorce as I have a sambo or wait two more years.... The former is more likely.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Are you sure about that? I've never heard of that for EU citizens. You usually need the local equivalent of an NI number, but that's not the same thing, and there shouldn't be any "Spanish person could do that job" shit for an EU citizen; except for the recent accession state restrictions - which wouldn't apply to you - any EU citizen can do any job they're qualified for. I've just had a quick scan around and it seems to be fairly clear there isn't an issue for EU peeps:
http://www.expatica.com/es/visas-and-permits/Work-in-Spain-Guide-to-Spanish-work-visas_103258.html
http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Portal...ormacionParaExtranjeros/Paginas/Trabajar.aspx

Spanish government site just says you're given the rights in the relevant EU treaties, which means you can work where you like without restriction...

I've moved twice within Europe and on both occasions I have just needed the equivalent of an NI number, although in Sweden to get this I had to prove I had a Job through migrationsverket. The other alternatives were cohabitation or prove I am self sufficient - neither option was viable... I can apply for citizenship this year if I get around to filing for divorce as I have a sambo or wait two more years.... The former is more likely.

Looks like you may be right but I'm sure I read somewhere about work permits being a requirement. Typically can't find that link now :/ Maybe it was out of date info. Well that's good news, fewer forms to fill in. Although I think it's unlikely either one of us will be employed. We do need NIE numbers, can't buy a house without one. Also needed for residencia and local council etc.
Just spotted a tourist fishing boat business for sale......dreams....

Don't want to ask about Yonis sambo........... :)

Yoni

Sambo = samboende (cohabitant) in Sweden....

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Spain's economy is fucked right now so I think you'd be taking a huge risk.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I'm a Spanish-Ex-Pat-Brit how may I help?

I fight foreigners using a red blanket and go to sleep in the afternoon.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
So a good time to buy property, taking advantage of other peoples misfortunes. I don't need a huge income and all will be mortgage free.

Or we can stay here, and when we are in Care Homes think about what could have been.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
My dogs just farted and it is making me wish I was in Spain :(

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Apparently spanish for fart is pedo, that could lead to confusion.....

Ormorof

FH is my second home
I guess the daily mail was right foreign lands are full of nasty ass pedos

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
I live in Marbella. You shouldn't require a work permit to work here but the NIE will be required. Before you dick around with the paperwork here get a good gestor (kind of like an accountant/admin person) to ensure your filings are in order. You expats constantly make the fatal mistake of thinking that things over here are the same as in England where being self-employed is quite simple in comparison.

As for the economy it depends on where you're based and what you do. I'm finding way more opportunity here than I ever did in the UK but excluding Madrid/Barcelona, I'd say Malaga (with focus on Marbella) is the best bet. The other regions are completely night and day in difference.

The language is another thing that proves to be a barrier for most but fuck it. If you come over and can't be bothered adapting (I know a lot that didn't and then wondered why it was difficult to run their business) then that's your problem, not mine.

Yoni

I've found in both my moves thst having a working proficiency in the languages of the countries you live in is a must. I still have a weekly lesson in Swedish and I have been here four years :)

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
I've found in both my moves thst having a working proficiency in the languages of the countries you live in is a must. I still have a weekly lesson in Swedish and I have been here four years :)

girl u so internashunal

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
I live in Marbella. You shouldn't require a work permit to work here but the NIE will be required. Before you dick around with the paperwork here get a good gestor (kind of like an accountant/admin person) to ensure your filings are in order. You expats constantly make the fatal mistake of thinking that things over here are the same as in England where being self-employed is quite simple in comparison.

As for the economy it depends on where you're based and what you do. I'm finding way more opportunity here than I ever did in the UK but excluding Madrid/Barcelona, I'd say Malaga (with focus on Marbella) is the best bet. The other regions are completely night and day in difference.

The language is another thing that proves to be a barrier for most but fuck it. If you come over and can't be bothered adapting (I know a lot that didn't and then wondered why it was difficult to run their business) then that's your problem, not mine.

Yup, need the NIE to purchase a house, and for Residencia/tax. We are on it with a gestor, plan is to find one that is part of a solicitor/accountant firm so we have have them do everything and take care of all our annual tax and any other paperwork that we might need renewing etc. My understanding is I can register as self-employed (autónomo) fairly easily, if that's the route I decide to take? I know there will be paperwork and then more paperwork but shouldn't be a problem with a gestor, I hope.
I lived in Marbella/Banus for a couple of years in the 80's and tbh it doesn't appeal anymore. We are considering west towards Duquesa or east past Nerja. Although further north towards Almeria is also a serious consideration. When you say opportunity do you mean from the tourist trade or local business?
Language wise I'm better than "restaurant Spanish" and Mrs Yuck speaks English only. Now that we know we are going though lessons are being investigated. Apparently if you have Residencia you are entitled to free lessons in Spain, something we would certainly do. I'm well aware of how much easier it is to get along out there if you speak the lingo. Our intention is to become part of the local Spanish community it's a place and people we both love. Nothing better than being in a tapas bar and the locals have a few too many and the flamenco kicks off :)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Yup, need the NIE to purchase a house, and for Residencia/tax. We are on it with a gestor, plan is to find one that is part of a solicitor/accountant firm so we have have them do everything and take care of all our annual tax and any other paperwork that we might need renewing etc. My understanding is I can register as self-employed (autónomo) fairly easily, if that's the route I decide to take? I know there will be paperwork and then more paperwork but shouldn't be a problem with a gestor, I hope.
I lived in Marbella/Banus for a couple of years in the 80's and tbh it doesn't appeal anymore. We are considering west towards Duquesa or east past Nerja. Although further north towards Almeria is also a serious consideration. When you say opportunity do you mean from the tourist trade or local business?
Language wise I'm better than "restaurant Spanish" and Mrs Yuck speaks English only. Now that we know we are going though lessons are being investigated. Apparently if you have Residencia you are entitled to free lessons in Spain, something we would certainly do. I'm well aware of how much easier it is to get along out there if you speak the lingo. Our intention is to become part of the local Spanish community it's a place and people we both love. Nothing better than being in a tapas bar and the locals have a few too many and the flamenco kicks off :)
Assuming they want you ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom