Any Spaniards or ex-pat brits?

sayward

Resident Freddy
I lived in Madrid for 5 years a few years ago. And later we had a house near Valencia which we actually managed to sell before everything went totally wrong but we lost money.

There are an awful lot of Brits out there who are termed 'scratchers'. No qualifications. No jobs. No English. They think they can make a living gardening, cleaning pools, running restaurants and they can't. it's impossible. Unfortunately I haven't got the numbers for Spanish un employment let alone ex pat unemployment. it is however a good time to buy a house as the prices are so low. Just make sure it's actually linked up to the utility system. and you must speak Spanish or the locals will not accept you and your life will be very limited.

Don't get me wrong I absolutely loved Madrid on an ex pat package. but that was nothing like the rest of Spain. Much as I love the place and the people culture and weather I wouldn't move there again.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
I lived in Madrid for 5 years a few years ago. And later we had a house near Valencia which we actually managed to sell before everything went totally wrong but we lost money.

There are an awful lot of Brits out there who are termed 'scratchers'. No qualifications. No jobs. No English. They think they can make a living gardening, cleaning pools, running restaurants and they can't. it's impossible. Unfortunately I haven't got the numbers for Spanish un employment let alone ex pat unemployment. it is however a good time to buy a house as the prices are so low. Just make sure it's actually linked up to the utility system. and you must speak Spanish or the locals will not accept you and your life will be very limited.

Don't get me wrong I absolutely loved Madrid on an ex pat package. but that was nothing like the rest of Spain. Much as I love the place and the people culture and weather I wouldn't move there again.

Scratchers were there when I was there, in fact they are here too :) Not going to be taking that route. Yup I've noticed that some properties out of town are "off grid" and I know it costs a fortune to get connected, if you can be connected at all.
I've been to Madrid and loved it, as a tourist. I don't do city living in the UK, certainly won't be changing that.
We've got tickets to the "A Place in the Sun Live" show at the NEC, should pick up some more info there. Meet the Estate Agents and plenty of seminars etc.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Probably cause the cities smell like dog shit. (I'm absolutely being an ignorant Brit before you ask, I've only ever been to Murcia.)

sayward

Resident Freddy
Loved Madrid but we lived 25km out in an urbanizacion, big house, big garden and pool. School fees paid. Ex pat package. don't think that life exists any more.

I think as I get older I prefer to live in the English language if you see what I mean. doing everything in Spanish makes life much harder and the Spanish mentality is not like ours. they still treat women as lesser mortals than men. I know it's a while ago but if I told a workman to do something he'd say shouldn't we wait til your husband gets home!. talk about light the blue touch paper and stand back.

The reason I wouldn't want to return is probably lots of niggling minor things rolled into one.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
So we went to the "Place in the Sun" show yesterday at the NEC. Loads of info available form expats, estate agents and importantly Lawyers.
Turns out this will be pretty simple. Basically find house and have Lawyers double check the arse out of it, plenty have no planning permission or don't even belong to the person selling it anymore. Then get an NIE number (like our NI number), open a bank account, pay monies, collect keys, all good.
No Residencia required, although it's an option if we want residents discounts on ferries etc, or to vote.
Plan is winter next year we will go over for a couple of weeks looking at various areas to decide where to pin point our house/business search.

Lethul

FH is my second home
I've found in both my moves thst having a working proficiency in the languages of the countries you live in is a must. I still have a weekly lesson in Swedish and I have been here four years :)

Hur går det med lektionerna då?

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
So, plans now on hold. Fuck Brexit.
We've been waiting to see the result of the referendum. We'll be going lock, stock and barrel and now rules might change. Besides the Euro/Pound rate meaning we can afford to spend less on a house (although this may stabilise) the non-EU immigrant requirements may change. Will we be able to buy and sell our house freely and without added taxes? Will we be able to live and work in Spain without visa restrictions? Will immigrant taxes change? Healthcare? Driving licences? Banking? etc etc.
Now I know this may all remain simple, but, I'm not sure I'm prepared to risk a shit load of money on it all working out OK until the EU gives some kind of indication.
It's a pisser because I had a business lined up and Mrs Yuck had a job lined up. We were due to buy our house in the next few months. We are gutted because we have been so excited about this change in lifestyle.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
So, plans now on hold. Fuck Brexit.
We've been waiting to see the result of the referendum. We'll be going lock, stock and barrel and now rules might change. Besides the Euro/Pound rate meaning we can afford to spend less on a house (although this may stabilise) the non-EU immigrant requirements may change. Will we be able to buy and sell our house freely and without added taxes? Will we be able to live and work in Spain without visa restrictions? Will immigrant taxes change? Healthcare? Driving licences? Banking? etc etc.
Now I know this may all remain simple, but, I'm not sure I'm prepared to risk a shit load of money on it all working out OK until the EU gives some kind of indication.
It's a pisser because I had a business lined up and Mrs Yuck had a job lined up. We were due to buy our house in the next few months. We are gutted because we have been so excited about this change in lifestyle.

We haven't left yet, I'm confused to why you can't do it within the next 2 years? Surely that's more of an incentive to do it quickly?

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
We haven't left yet, I'm confused to why you can't do it within the next 2 years? Surely that's more of an incentive to do it quickly?

Well we would be fine for the next 2 years or so, then what?

Gwadien

Well we would be fine for the next 2 years or so, then what?

Well, I think the way it's working in the UK is that after that time you won't be kicked out.

I'd imagine it would work the same way in Spain - the Spanish have already said British tourists are still more than welcome (They seemed concerned) so I don't see why they wouldn't want you to take over some money to give to their country too tbh.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Would you be prepared to risk your savings on a "I think".
Even Cameron said this morning that there will be no "immediate" change for expats.
As I said it might all be OK, but I'm not prepared to gamble substantial sums of money, yet.

Gwadien

Would you be prepared to risk your savings on a "I think".
Even Cameron said this morning that there will be no "immediate" change for expats.
As I said it might all be OK, but I'm not prepared to gamble substantial sums of money, yet.

Fair point, but as I say, the Spanish love expats and it'd barely be a gamble since they're not really going to have a military coup and throw you all out.

Embattle

FH is my second home
National governments won't really want punishment policies, however the EU might well take a different line.

Gwadien

National governments won't really want punishment policies, however the EU might well take a different line.

Yeah, the EU are a evil bunch of people, they just want to see the world burn.

latest

dysfunction

FH is my second home
They may well take a hard line approach to the UK to stop other countries exiting as well.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Thing that would worry me is the healthcare reciprical arrangement we have at the moment and what will happen to that.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Thing that would worry me is the healthcare reciprical arrangement we have at the moment and what will happen to that.

True, however I am not 100% sure how effective this was in practice. I know about 3 separate people who got ill whilst on holiday in Spain - all ended up paying for treatment.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
True, however I am not 100% sure how effective this was in practice. I know about 3 separate people who got ill whilst on holiday in Spain - all ended up paying for treatment.
Yeah cause they didnt make sure they went to a free hospital. What usually happens is ambulance picks you up and drops u at a private one. Dumb touristas hehe

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

So long as you have your E111 filled out before you leave you can claim that back. Happened to my ex in France once.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person

Did they have their EHIC cards with them? I've needed medical care in a Medical centre while in Spain and paid nothing when I produced my card and passport. There are also private clinics that will always charge, same as here.
As a resident however currently once you have your Residencia you are automatically included in to Spains healthcare system. Not reciprocal as such, as you are paying into the system, well most are anyway.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
So long as you have your E111 filled out before you leave you can claim that back. Happened to my ex in France once.

I probably would have been aware of that, but they were friends of the OH and apparently I'm not great at listening to her......

Syri

FH is my second home
They may well take a hard line approach to the UK to stop other countries exiting as well.
I can't see that working... If they decided to stop EU countries from deciding on their own if to allow UK citizens to enter or not, they'd only force more countries to leave the EU, to get their own say in their policies... It'd just create a domino effect, rather than prevent one.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Well 2 camps are appearing already over how to handle article 50, fast or slow.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
There are a lot of countries that would get the same result as us if their governments trusted them to have a say. But its controlled by the elite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom