Any Archery tips?...

O

old.Machiavelli

I've just started a new Ranger (Im at lvl 6 now), and i just wanted to ask a couple of questions....

At the moment, im firing a crit shot, and one normal shot by the time a MOB gets to me... and if its yellow, its only got a third damage.. Is this normal?... or is there a better way to do it?

Also, is there any way to see if a MOB is in range without loading an arrow?... I must look stupid pointing my bow, stepping forward, pointing my bow, etc...

Also, while im here, does any one have any general advice for a Ranger?

Thanks

S

Son

Use the best arrows you can afford and you will level much easier.

You can use one of the function keys to make a ground target to check distance but I prefer to nock arrow and see if its in range, looks strange but is easier for my simple brain.

A

Ardwan

Well I don't know about hibbie rangers, but with my big slow highlander, using a longbow (slowest bow in game i think) I can manage about 2 more shots after the critical shot.
Once you have got the crit shot aimed, press the bow key again, and it will tell you that the shot will be auto-fired, press it again and it will auto-reload once fired, it is a bit quicker than loading and firing yourself.

A

Avi N'dor

I had the same problem, the trainer's gift bow and gift arrows are the limitng factor. Once I leveled up to 8 or 9 I bought elm short recurve bow which does more damage and then some broadhead arrows or something else with normal or high damage rating. I can have the yellow mobs to around half health with this setup and usually I have time to shoot 2 more arrow after crit shot. It depends on the speed of the monster and the range of the arrows and your DEX(&QUI too?).

And yes, I use the step by step method too to find out max shooting range to mob :)

A

Ardwan

and from what I have seen so far, the range of arrows is
short - crit, +2more, but the mob is normally on top of you when 3rd shot fires
medium - can get crit +2more, easily get the 3rd shot off before mob is close enough for melee
long range - still need to test properly, as I was in a group when i started using them ;)

M

matax

I have an alt Ranger on Hib so here are my tips - some have been covered a bit above, so I apologise for any repetiton :)

Bow. The one you get from your trainer at L.5 is good (with it's +1 to bow), but once it cons blue to you I suggest you upgrade (sooner if you can afford it). I bought a player crafted orange con bow and instantly almost doubled my damage output and also improved my draw/firing speed. Buy player crafted if you can as the better QUA means that you do more damage.

Arrows. The freebies from the trainer may be free, but the are rather average. If you can afford to buy some then do. Also buy a mixture of ranges (the lower range ones are cheaper - more on this in a minute). I have been using Flight broadhead (long range, high damage) and Broadhead (medium range, high damage) arrows - this may not be the best combination so if anyone can provide me with better info please do.

Skill. The amount of damage you do also depends on your bow skill level. If you want your character to be a bow user/sniper, then make sure you max your bow skill i.e. keep it trained to your level. You will do the max damage you can at your level, and will have access to the best crit shot (and hence higher damage) that you can.

Targetting. You can use the ground target to work out your range. To activate this find a mob that doesn't move much. Find your range by using the moving around and drawing method. When you have the max. range press (and hold) F5 - this will activate your ground target. Now move the ground target with the arrows until it is on the mob. Release F5. Now everytime you press F5 it will appear at that range - instant range finder. The downside to this is it resests itself everytime you log - personally I can't be bothered :) after a while, you get a good idea of your range anyway.

Firing. Have your inventory open with the longest range arrow at the top. Get your mob lined up and in range and select your crit shot. Double click on your bow icon - this will set you to automatically fire when ready and reload the next arrow. Once you fire, double click again - repeat until in melee range. Now the reason we have the inventory open, is that you can also swap the type of arrow that you will fire next (that's why we bought different range arrows). Fire 1 or 2 flight arrows (usually one is enough) and then swap to medium arrows by moving their pile to the top of your inventory i.e. swap them around. This takes a bit of practice to cope with the double clicking and swapping of arrows, but is worth it as the flight (long range) arrows are more expensive than the lower ranged ones - if your up to it, you could even buy long, medium and short range arrows and swap twice !

Good luck - hope that helped. If you need more help and are on the Prydwen server then feel free to /send me in game if you need help :)

O

old.Merino

Ranger Guide and Links

Hello Machiavelli

Welcome to DAoC.
If you want to research Rangers, this is the best place to go:
http://geocities.com/brightblades/daoc.html

It contains Larian's Ranger guide, a link to the glade (called Crit shot now) and a ton of other useful links.
I couldn't find the link to Oakleif's archery guide anymore, but it must be buried in there somewhere.

Enjoy the lecture, it's worth a read.

Merino
Hibpryd Champ of 30th season

J

Jupitus

... find a friendly fletcher.

I have seen many newcomer scouts in Albion, including little Ard from our guild (/wave), struggle in the early stages through out and out lack of cash.

If I have the time available, I will usually knock up a batch of 800 of the best arrows together with an orange con bow for anyone under level 10 free of charge. For me, it's not a great deal of cash (about 12 gold for the arrows as they use heartwood), and I do it knowing that as the player progresses there is a good chance they will come back to me for arrows in the future - a small markup will still price these less than the merchant and they really dont take very long to make.

It's nice afterwards to get the thank you /sends as they realise how good the arrows are :)

O

old.Kelmon

Get as many dex and quickness items as you can get. More quickness means faster shooting, and dex is what calculates damage from your bow, so higher is better. ;)

E

Elric IA

You can also range in on players as well as mobs when calibrating your ground target. You can't fire at them (unless they are albs of course) but they tend not to move around as much as mobs.

A

Ardwan

Originally posted by Celtic Dreams
You can also range in on players as well as mobs when calibrating your ground target. You can't fire at them (unless they are albs of course) but they tend not to move around as much as mobs.

aye, i tend to use the NPC guards or mechants, as they don't move around.

G

Gef

Join a friendly guild who is willing to help out a poor skint archer, level 5 - 20 is real tough for an archer. Most seasoned players should recognise this and help out wherever possible. (This doesnt give you an excuse to go out and beg though ;))

O

old.Ozwin

Some interesting info here especially as ive just rolled a scout , someone touched on this before but has anyone any tips on the best types of arrow to use ie flightbroadhead/broadhead combo?

Thanks

G

Gef

A lot depends on what you can afford, by the looks you have a couple of good alts that could quite happily finance a Scout.

I started the game as a Scout, I struggled to level 9 and just gave up and made a Cleric. Once I got to the 30's and realised that there isnt much use for a rejuv Cleric in RvR (not yet anyway). So I went back to the Scout, and with the extra finances I ploughed through the levels. I used orange con player made bows right up to level 25 and Flight Broadhead arrows all the way.

You can easily make 25 within a week if you play it right, I have said this before, but the Grove Nymph trees that are dotted around the Sailsbury Plains are prime grounds for any archer. If you are using all good equipment and have bow fully specced you can take down yellows con's before they reach you, and only ever need to stop to either get your endurance back or wait for the respawn!

There are about 5 different Groves, gradually getting harder and harder, just work your way round and you will be ard' as nails in no time.

M

matax

Agreed Gef.

I have been using Flight broadhead (long range, high damage) and Broadhead (medium range, high damage) arrows and using the swapping them around in the backpack so I start with long range and then use medium range as the mob get closer. Saves a little money, so useful at the lower levels, but is a bit of hassle, so will probably give this up at higher levels :)

Basically buy the best you can afford, highest damage and as good accuracy as you can afford - you want to be hitting hard with your arrows, so if you have to melee the mob is already nearly dead.

Also with the bow, again the best you can afford - player made (and preferably orange con) - better QUA than merchant bows, therefore more damage and higher speed.

G

Gef

I dont think the QUA effects the speed? Well thats what I was always led to believe, I may be wrong.

M

matax

Mmmm - why did I type that ? Don't know myself either :)

Users who are viewing this thread