Any advice how to kill a Merc? and how to kill Theondon too? :>

illu

Part of the furniture
They are just too tough :>

Can a Merc's DT be purged?

Is there anyway past the insane block and parry rate of Theodon? :)

Had some good fights tonight. I was playing with a few caster albs and got my fingers burnt a few times when I got too close :> Saw a mad fight of Theodon against a Hib Firby Thunderer Tank thing that went on for ages :> There were about 5 of us watching, and Blindguardian steamed in and slammed the Firby? After a word from Theodon he seemed to get the message to move on.

I need to somehow get my SB to hit harder ^^.

Oli - Illu

Devilseye

Fledgling Freddie
illu said:

Had some good fights tonight. I was playing with a few caster albs and got my fingers burnt a few times when I got too close :> Saw a mad fight of Theodon against a Hib Firby Thunderer Tank thing that went on for ages :> There were about 5 of us watching, and Blindguardian steamed in and slammed the Firby? After a word from Theodon he seemed to get the message to move on.

I need to somehow get my SB to hit harder ^^.

Oli - Illu
wasnt that Cens against theodon? could be wrong. heard something about a 10ish minute duration fight :p
and afaik it cant be purged as its a mercs "buff"
can try snaring and run around for 20-30secs till it runs out :p
also had a duel against a warder paladin, he also blocked like a mofo :p, 30% ws buff did help i think.. but barely noticeable (atleast in that fight)

Nate

FH is my second home
hmm guess vanish after they dt would be ok, u'd need most of ur iwin abilities up to beat a merc :p there positional fighters according to mythic, so dont let them get them in. theodons secrets must stay as they are! :eek:

Spetsnaz

Fledgling Freddie
it was good fight untill sone stupid alb came and slammed me...

Konah

Fledgling Freddie
illu said:

yes...

illu said:
Is there anyway past the insane block and parry rate of Theodon?

str/con+str then insta switch to dot+disease? his wepskill should be about ~150 after that lot ;)

GrIrcSpammer

Fledgling Freddie
for both enemies u need to be viper specced constantly reapply poisons etc if the merc pops dt u ll prolly have to use malice but bear that in mind :D if a merc dumps on you.. you wont kill him at least if he does it from the beginning. if he gets pwnd @ start then fires dt at low hp or something poisonspike or purge + reapply viper 3 dot will be > him . i ve killed many mercs but most of them were group specced and underestimated me.. a solo specced merc with high parry spec , +11 parry in template , lots of dexcap and hpcap should be unkillable 1v1

as far as theodon is concerned i ve fought him some times and always got him @ low hp or killed him... i d say that if i were vip0r specced it should be easier but he is a tough opponent for sure :( i got more problems with kagato.. got him with warguard and once with ip but if he uses both T_T

Alme

Fledgling Freddie
u can purge dt but itll just reapply the next time he hits u.

just pray u can land a garrote and run away after merc used dt ;o

Haldar

Fledgling Freddie
kite with viper3, PS, GS javs.

vanish if he charges.

no straight melee - u'll get pwned hard.

GrIrcSpammer

Fledgling Freddie
Haldar said:
kite with viper3, PS, GS javs.

vanish if he charges.

no straight melee - u'll get pwned hard.

str8 melee with a hit points template should give u 3khp add a malice charge and pray for lifebane to land inbetween DT and save purge for the malice aftermath. you should be np unless he battlers banespikes you ^_^

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
GrIrcSpammer said:
str8 melee with a hit points template should give u 3khp
You mean, with 400 hits in template, Aug Con 5 and Toughness 5? Yeah, that'll just barely break 3000 hits as a Shadowblade.

Haldar

Fledgling Freddie
GrIrcSpammer said:
str8 melee with a hit points template should give u 3khp add a malice charge and pray for lifebane to land inbetween DT and save purge for the malice aftermath. you should be np unless he battlers banespikes you ^_^

this way i've killed rr5 merc. a long ago tho, in 1.73 or so, didnt play much since then.

and the best in that fight was complete inevitability of doom approaching. strong halfogre in chain with big weapons...and some sneaky gimp who nibbles away his hp - and disappears....a hit with blades, a tick of poison, a snare and disease, a fierly blast from afar....

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
heh met Theodon for the first time yesterday with my valk.
Fight looked something like this

block,block,block,parry,miss,block,parry,miss oh I am on 10% hp.

Bad thing was that I hardly parried anything even though I have 33+15parry and moparry2

GrIrcSpammer

Fledgling Freddie
Azathrim said:
You mean, with 400 hits in template, Aug Con 5 and Toughness 5? Yeah, that'll just barely break 3000 hits as a Shadowblade.

no i dont mean that. Buy a clue

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
Theodon can be a real hard one, you definately need viper2+, poisenspike and LOTS and LOTS of pre-poisened weapons. even with that he tends to kill me more than I him.

running through ofc by-passes parry etc if you want to use it, i tend to do it once of twice in a fight, cant stand to do it continuously myself.

kiting with disease/snare/garrote etc should also work a charm, but i dont really enjoy that either.

illu

Part of the furniture
Thanks for the advice so far :>

When I came across the Merc, I was the most tooled up I have been for about a month, so I cried when he beat me quite easily :> (TBH though, fair enough, a Merc is a killing machine :>)

So if DT comes up, I take it I have to vanish for 30 seconds or garotte and run around a bit like a headless chicken until it stops, then I try more :>

I was poisoning like mad too, but to no avail.

I suppose I just have to wait for a bit longer and wait for my SB to reach rr9/10 and put more points in viper or maybe drop aug str a notch and put more points somewhere else.

And I'll get you soon theodon dammit :>

Oli - Illu

SethNaket

Fledgling Freddie
Doesn't dot+snare and kite like oldschool assassins work? He can't charge if he's snared. If you're only interested in toe to toe then the only thing I can think of is what killed my brother when he was soloing with merc, lots and lot of poisons. :)

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
depends a bit if the merc is specced for soloing or not. if they have purge2-3 and ip up its pretty much impossible to kill them with dt. well, even without dt :p

if they dont purge it all depends on luck. i remember a certain fight where full sidechain brought a merc to ~20% but then i landed maybe 2 offhand hits in 10-12 swings. /ponder

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
GrIrcSpammer said:
no i dont mean that. Buy a clue

http://vnboards.ign.com/midgard_rogue_professions/b20912/95564507/p1

Quote from the linked thread said:
That's a shadowblade. A RR12, CL5 SB, with 400 hits in temp, tough5, aug con5, and 10 (15?) con in creation and +101 in template. That's literally within 30 hits of the absolute maximum a shadowblade can have right now.

Unfortunately the link to the screenshot is down while I post this, but if you read the context of the thread you will see it's just over 3000 hits.

So, get yourself a clue. Idiot.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
what spec is he? i know the name but not much about his merc, im not a huge rvr player so no offense intended. Is he high RR?

I think most high ml wardens will hand his arse to him if they win slam and theodan dont purge.

Slam, ml9, ml10 x2 = 2 of his buffs removed, wardens are hard to kill let alone with the new shield spec available plus the points to get slam. Throw in a TWF if need be and you cant really lose.

Ofc this falls on its ass if the merc purges slam and is un-hittable as people seem to make out.

Also I would like to see a GOOD hero or warrior versus him, they would slam+2hand him, then once slam runs out go back to shield, when theodan swings they either get hit or dont, they quickly switch to 2hand and swing at him, then instantly get shield back out....rinse and repeat, the defense of a 50 shield class with the offense of a 50 2hand class all at the same time.

oh and using that method is not lame as its skill+timing.

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
with 384 hits and 101 con in template on my luri ns without con at creation, i have 2.3k hp. sb's with 40 more con (40 -> 80) and naturally having more hp's they could get a lot more then me.

thats with cl5, con1 and tough3

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
got 2474hp atm and will end up around 2600-2700 if I ever cba to finish template

Puppet

Part of the furniture
illu said:

No, if you purge it, they reapply it the next hit, and your purge is wasted. Best bet is to use malice /use2, run-through like a mofo. Snare poison prevents them from charging, disease to make em slightly slower incase u need to bail out at times ;)

Hit him in his back :p Theodon is absolutely impossible to beat on my Vampiir if I play fair (eg. toe to toe). On my Nightshade the fight gets alot more interesting tho :)

Puppet

Part of the furniture
Mrkill said:
runtrough like a mofo must be saticfying to win then?

About as satisfying as pounding Dirty Tricks, Charge, 3 BL-shouts and Anytime stun as HO Crush merc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom