AMD Vs Intel

What server type and faction do you plan to use on retail?

• Total voters
W

Wij

It's not just AMD that sell the odd dodgy CPU. My P3 1gig will NOT run at 1 gig properly. I have to underclock it to 933 to get it to run stable.

C

caLLous

Yeah, and my bastard 486sx33 never ran at 33mhz :eek:

C

caLLous

And my Athlon XP 2000+ runs perfectly (pending new fan on geforce) at 1667. :)

I

Insane

Scan? hell no.. too much dodgy kit shipped from them to even comprehend them as a decent company (dvds, floppy drives, keyboards, gfx cards, motherboards, memory, etc)

Dabs has only screwed me once, with an accidental shipment (which was sorted out the next day)

Overclockers.co.uk had shipped parts which were opened prior to shipment (a 300w macron PSU comes to mind)

Aria (really poor company) couldn't even ship working graphics cards on three seperate occasions!

Built too many machines to count, more people went with AMDs because they were cheaper, but we had a few go for P4's...

Systems are wierd
I run an AthlonXP 1600+, and a Pentium III 1gig
Father's on an Athlon 550 (old slot version)
Server's a little cellery 300a OC'ed to 450 :D
Sister's got herself a new compaq laptop with Duron processor

C

caLLous

Well InSaNe, you're seriously the first person I've ever encountered who's had a problem with Scan. :)

T

throdgrain

My p3 1 gig runs perfect , with its gf2 ti200 . So ner :p

S

Skyler

I know at least 3 people who have had shit from scan...

I wouldnt buy there personally...

what I hear about them is either very good or utterly shite... so its a gamble I guess...

Im still running an athlon 600 (slot) which i obtained about 2 and a half years ago and its been stable as fuck tbh, just it gets way to hot...

T

Testin da Cable

it seems AMD is beating the heck out of Intel in our ickle poll :)

T

throdgrain

No thank you Mr. Embattle, I dont want my drive tarmac-ing. No really I don't. No,I dont care how much it is. Please go away.
Hey, come back with that push bike !

K

*Kornholio*

70% go for AMD at the moment... the intel boys need to do something quick... maybe trade their jaguars & merc's in for fords or something...

Personally I have recently gone from a P3-733 to an XP-1600 & am not looking back for one second... the XP chips are the dogs danglies :)

T

throdgrain

With respect Korn thats got less to do with the manufacturer and more to do with the large increase in processor speed m8 :)

K

*Kornholio*

yeah, but what i got for what i payed = the bollox & way better (imo) than what intel had to offer... :)

S

Stazbumpa

I haven't read all this thread so forgive me if I'm repeating an earlier question BUT......

The Athlon XP CPU's are supposed to take advantage of Win XP, but how well do they run and is there any loss of performance under Win 2k Pro?

I'm thinking of upgrading y'see.

S

Summo

Originally posted by stazbumpa
The Athlon XP CPU's are supposed to take advantage of Win XP, but how well do they run and is there any loss of performance under Win 2k Pro?

Eh? Where did you hear that? They're named XP purely to cash in on the Windows XP buying rush, that's all.
There are supposedly some tweaks AMD included so they can say things like 'optimised for Windows XP' but they're nothing more than marketting gimmicks.

Win2K will run just as well.

S

Stazbumpa

Originally posted by SomeGuy

Eh? Where did you hear that? They're named XP purely to cash in on the Windows XP buying rush, that's all.
There are supposedly some tweaks AMD included so they can say things like 'optimised for Windows XP' but they're nothing more than marketting gimmicks.

Ta muchly, I thought that might be the case.

AMD roolz, don't argue.

E

Embattle

Originally posted by SomeGuy

Both Intel and AMD claim this little gem...kind of funny really ;)

S

Skyler

Yeah, when the Athlon was first out in Autumn of 99 I got my nice Athy 600 :)

Which I still use now!

F

FuZor

Thats what Intel thinks of its cutomers ;)
Anyway less sarcasim.....

It reminds me of when my Business teacher said that the price of something is based not on actually what it costs to make. But what the market will bear! So if back when he bought his Athlon everyone was happy to spend £300 + on a fast CPU. Then thats what it cost :)

W

Wij

Well duh. Only Thick Marxists believe the Labour Theory of Value (look it up on the internet thickos !)

:D

Users who are viewing this thread