AMD Vs Intel

What server type and faction do you plan to use on retail?

• Total voters
F

FuZor

with what you'd save you might even be able to get a proper gfx card ;)

ATi Radeons in my opinion are kick ass all round gfx cards. DVD playback is exceptional :)

F

FuZor

Originally posted by ItchyTrigaFinga
That's you and me both, each has their good and bad sides. But all this "my chip is great, blah blah blah, I can't hear you" nonsense has to stop.

FULL STOP :)

B

bodhi

Originally posted by testin_da_cable
Bods, seriously mate, you should resample amd.

Oh I will do. Right after I resample Glandular Fever. After all, they were both as pleasant as each other first time round :)

S

Skyler

Well I agree with Bodhi, I'd rather have an Intel CPU than an AMD, purely because its more reliable and can perform on par with it (if you buy a 2.2ghz or something :p ). But, Intel are only viable options to people who have the money to spend, not everyone does, so I'm going with AMD for my next chip unless Intel can provide good performance at a good price :D

F

FuZor

No retard that was not aimed at you ffs :rolleyes:

You're ugly, I'm busy. Have a nice day.

W

Will

closed.gif

F

FuZor

Originally posted by Embattle
Processors are reliable from birth.

;)

Not quite! They are reliable when they have passed electrical test :) Many processors are crap when they are made!
The birth of the CPU starts at a foundry where the device (CPU) is put onto something called a wafer (lots devices on one piece of silicon). This wafer is then wafer probed (Each device on the wafer has basic tests like continuity etc) Then the devices are cut from the wafer, the devices are now called die. Then the good devices(die) is picked from the wafer. Glued into a package, and then the die is wire bonded out to the package (Connecting the die to the outside world).

After this the devices in their respective packages(CPU's) go under intensive testing, where continuity, functionality, propagation delays, and many more electrical tests are done.

The above process weeds out many dead devices! However after the above its safe to say the CPU is reliable :) I suppose its how you look at it! :D

F

FuZor

Originally posted by Ono
C Y R I X

lol :D

I used to own one of those! the sorry skint days of a student :)

It was so shite its was incredible! :cool:

E

Embattle

Originally posted by Quicksolv

;)

Not quite! They are reliable when they have passed electrical test :) Many processors are crap when they are made!
The birth of the CPU starts at a foundry where the device (CPU) is put onto something called a wafer (lots devices on one piece of silicon). This wafer is then wafer probed (Each device on the wafer has basic tests like continuity etc) Then the devices are cut from the wafer, the devices are now called die. Then the good devices(die) is picked from the wafer. Glued into a package, and then the die is wire bonded out to the package (Connecting the die to the outside world).

After this the devices in their respective packages(CPU's) go under intensive testing, where continuity, functionality, propagation delays, and many more electrical tests are done.

The above process weeds out many dead devices! However after the above its safe to say the CPU is reliable :) I suppose its how you look at it! :D

Remember son you're born 9 months after the process of life has started.....hence the birth is the official release on to the market :rolleyes:

Nice copy and paste btw :p

C

caLLous

Nah, I don't think it was a C&P, there are too many typos...

S

Sar

Originally posted by Quicksolv

Then explain why my previous CPU was as stable as Charlie Manson on Speed? The thing even made the PC bluescreen in Dos once, I shit you not.

It was an Athlon 700 btw. Bet you couldn't have guessed :p

I have a P4 1.9Ghz now, and it's been fucking superb the six months I've had it so far. Stable as fuck.

Wub j00 intel :D

F

FuZor

Originally posted by caLLous
Nah, I don't think it was a C&P, there are too many typos...

Well it beats your knowledge base retarded mac'd grease monkey.

And Emb, it wasn't a cut and paste! :rolleyes: and I see your point about the birth! I just couldn't resist enlighting you all :D

F

FuZor

I had a similar problem on my first t-bird Sar, turned out to be a shite m/b :rolleyes: But mainly its bad bios settings, crap drivers etc etc :)

I do agree that Intel's are more stable ;)

S

Sar

Heh, trust me, after the experience I had with that Athlon, stability is my main priority in a system, cos I've lost count of the amount of work & data that was utterly trashed because the system crashed/bluescreened/reset for absolutely no reason.

That PC was the Anti-Christ of PCs. 3/4 crashes per day, regular as atomic clockwork.

In comparison this Intel system is rock solid, and as such is a godsend.

W

Will

It's not about the procsessor, as much as you would like to blame it. When my Duron system was running unde Win98, all I needed was a reboot every 5 days to keep it sweet. Now I'm running 2k, I've lost count of how long it's been switched on for.

S

Sar

It was the CPU. CCL Computers, from where I got it, have somewhat of a rep for flogging dodgy CPUs. :(

I, of course, only found this out about 6 months after buying it :|

W

Will

Not excatly AMD's fault then...

Sorry, I'm trying to balance out Bodhi, I guess.;)

S

Sar

AMD still made it, CCL just sold the thing.

/fwaps CCL

/double fwaps AMD

W

Will

Well, did you ever wonder why multiplers became locked?

Certain shops, lacking morals, would take a chip, perform a cosmetic change, over-clock it at the multiplier a little, then sell it as a high value chip. Though not running as stable as before, of course.

This hapened to both AMD and Intel, just what you said reminded me. Too much coffee? Maybe.:)

S

Sar

Well this was deffo a natural 700Mhz chip (checked the serial # on the CPU), but it was just highly unstable. I couldn't even overclock it by 50mHz without it having a spaz attack.

F

FuZor

Sar man that sucks :(
Obviously you were given a crap CPU, the bastards! ;)

S

Sar

Heh, yer, never gonna use them again. Think I'll stick with Scan, cos I've always got good reliable stuff off of them, and they're a reasonable price for things too.

That's where I got 90% of the kit for my P4 rig from.

F

FuZor

Yup, use scan myself, they are VERY cheap! :) but I also use overclockers to get the more unusual stuff ;) and Novatech for things like monitors :)

S

Sar

Novatech eh?

Now you come to mention it, a new monitor sounds tempting, a nice 21" jobby :D

C

caLLous

Yup, not one single problem with Scan or The Overclocking Store so far. I just ordered a Crystal Orb and a couple of 80mm fans from Kustom PCs, we'll see how that turns out :)

Users who are viewing this thread