Account bannings for worm incident

N

-Nuked-

get 6.3plat (or whateva) worth of seals the easy way and get banned for 7days! good deal. wonder how many people knew that would be the consequence.

just for those of us who dont read about the US bugs, what did actually happen to those yankies who also used this exploit?

N

-Nuked-

according to the law salty you get a tea break once every 80hours, work it out :p

S

saltymcpepper

They got to live in the playboy mansion for a week

H

<Harle>

afaik the US-players were left untouched. Mythic concentrated on fixing the bug instead of wasting resources on banning paying custumers.

If you want to read a little bit about my and GOAs pov then check this thread on our guild-boards.

imo they don't realise the impact their decision here is going to make.

N

-Nuked-

Originally posted by <Harle>
afaik the US-players were left untouched. Mythic concentrated on fixing the bug instead of wasting resources on banning paying custumers.

well they fixed the bug thats the main thing :rolleyes:

E

Easdown

i really dont see why we get punished have a 7 day ban and all our stuff took off us for something they fucked up.

and im with pempulla on this there is not one person that would have gone "hmmm this must be a bug" dropped all their seals and bracers on the ground and left.

pure bullshit.

C

censi

did they delete all the WW's...

Cuz I would take a 7 day ban in exchange for a few WW bracers anyday.

C

censi

Its a shame really I had a few WW's and to get them was a major effort. Looks like 100's dropped now and what was once a gr8 rare item is now devalued and freely availble to the masses.

wouldnt be a problem if GOA actually just deleted all the items and apolagised.

They shouldnt be banning people really.

I would have been down there faster than a rat up a drain pipe if Id known about it.

O

old.Reno

Here's what happened.

I was shopping in DF when I saw the Worm spawn msg.
I put it on /as thinking someone might want to raid him and maybe get 1 or 2 wormskin wraps to lotto away.
As I got a few pm's whether I was going to do it and noone stepped forward immediatly so I set out to start the raid.
About 15 minutes later we got underway with a good 5 fg's.
We found the worm beneath the Alb prince and started attacking it.
I hadn't seen the new adds he popped so I was quite surprised when he popped about 10-20 yellow/orange worm maggots.
I was even more surprised when some of those adds dropped 2-3 drops and 8-10 master seal stacks.
I had read about this bug happening in an earlier 1.5x version on the US server. Mythic fixed this bug in 1 day and allowed those involved to keep all their gains.
I had also read Gunner's thread here on BW about killing the worm a day or 2 before with 1 fg and receiving utter crap for drops. This made me think we had encountered a one time fluke.

So we did the semi-logical thing and drew out killing the worm ( by maybe 30-45 minutes, guesstimate) to ensure we each got 1 bracer.
After we killed it and counted our drops we had about 120 bracers and 30 k seals. This amounted to 2-3 bracers and 630 seals each.
Later that evening I filled out a bug report to Goa, saying we encountered this bug( which had been stamped out long ago) and had taken a bit of an advantage of it, but that this in the greater scheme of things was very open to a much larger organized exploitation.
I had hoped that this would get us off with maybe a slap on the wrist and maybe even with the loss of all proceeds from the raid.
I can't fault Goa for removing the items from game, but suspending accounts for 1 week is far too harsh a punishment.

I myself have lost all the things I bought that day in DF and the bracers I got on the account I used that day. I also lost salvage I bought with another char on the account with seals farmed days before.
Because I reported the bug to Goa and admitted to having take advantage off it, Goa saw fit to not suspend my account for a week.

Danita

1234Taz

Myabe next time you'll think before EXPLOITING bugs :p

Q

Qte Eth

well to those who dont understand in what way economy is ruined-before there was like less then 10 total WW on hibernia ,each of em cost their owners lotsa effort luck and time ,and if u sell em u can easy get 5p+ imo i guess,when there is suddenly 120 more of em guess what happens to those guys who had real WW and didnt participate in this bug abuse hunt ?and yeah price would drop down greatly .

uve heard mayhaps about dupes in D2? and ppl get banned for duping etc ,because it ruins game economy,same case here so.

Good that goa react fast and strict here ,not like blizzard what caused D2 to be just full of dupes and removing loads of interest of itemhunts from the game ,because their ban methods arent really fast good and usually come too late.

E

Elric IA

I had a look on DAoC Europe site but could not find the article but am pretty sure that they did post in a Friday News (sometime in the spring but GOA only go back 90 days) that this bug had been known about by GOA and would not appear in the patch (I have read about this one before I think one US server had a 1.6 mithril cash injection at one point the www.daoctradeskills.com forums had spoken about it) and that it would not happen. The fact an Alb group had taken the worm for crap drops before must have made people think that this was a standard worm when they got to it.

Harle is right that they should treat this with consistency. The Krrczk (or however it is spelt) 'bug' (as well as the Music Grove one) did not result in player bans as far as I know. The fact that it was reported (as was the bow incident) shows that a possible game bug had been encountered. I am sure if you look at the total cash gained from this compared to Krrzck and Music Grove it is small beer.

I cannot see 600p ruining the economy of hib at all. Taken over the server population of approx 2000 it is only 300g or so apiece.

Perhaps the fact that the bug appeared again despite them saying that it would not has left them with egg on their faces and these people are the unwitting scapegoats.

Perhaps some were fully aware but to ban people for 7 days wholesale is just like being back at school when someone farted in class, noone owned up and the teacher put the whole class on detention mainly because they had been made to look a twat.

A

Asha

Originally posted by old.Reno
I had read about this bug happening in an earlier 1.5x version on the US server. Mythic fixed this bug in 1 day and allowed those involved to keep all their gains.

So we did the semi-logical thing and drew out killing the worm ( by maybe 30-45 minutes, guesstimate) to ensure we each got 1 bracer.
After we killed it and counted our drops we had about 120 bracers and 30 k seals. This amounted to 2-3 bracers and 630 seals each.

Well.. it was a nice try :)
I can't say I wouldn't have tried too. I think the ban is going over the top tbh, BUT 630 seals is a bit much ... :p

To people saying cheaters, etc. zzzz :p

btw you had 50 ppl there? lol

1234Taz

Originally posted by saltymcpepper
taz why exactly are you posting here?

Prolly the same reason you do its called discussions forums where people post and then people like me and you give there opinions on such things has cheating like these people did.

Its only my opinion you dont have to read it nor agree with it, but the simple fact is they cheating and exploited and got banned, they are lucky it was only 7 days.

M

Messor

imo its goas fault for not fixing the bug they said they had fixed previously so instead of banning 50 ppl for a week, remove all the loot from the raid and let everyone get back to enjoying the game

A

Asha

Originally posted by Elric IA
The fact an Alb group had taken the worm for crap drops before must have made people think that this was a standard worm when they got to it.

Yes but they farmed for 30 mins - it took us 5 mins at the most to kill the worm. This means they were keeping it alive for ages to farm the ads... So it's not so innocent :)

Still think bans is too harsh.

R

Raine

Is there an actually link to where GOA have stated that this bugged had been corrected?

N

-Nuked-

Originally posted by 1234Taz
Prolly the same reason you do its called discussions forums where people post and then people like me and you give there opinions on such things has cheating like these people did.

Its only my opinion you dont have to read it nor agree with it, but the simple fact is they cheating and exploited and got banned, they are lucky it was only 7 days.

try reading reno's account of how it happened!

"cry more cheating scum!" and "Myabe next time you'll think before EXPLOITING bugs" just shows how much you have read into the matter. you should apply for a job with GOA, you think like them

Originally posted by Asha
Yes but they farmed for 30 mins - it took us 5 mins at the most to kill the worm. This means they were keeping it alive for ages to farm the ads... So it's not so innocent :)

Still think bans is too harsh.

agreed take the items back and fix the bug.

O

Odix

Originally posted by Raine
Is there an actually link to where GOA have stated that this bugged had been corrected?

There would have been one, if GOA didn't have this superb "only 90 days" news-archive.

1234Taz

Originally posted by old.Reno
Here's what happened.

I hadn't seen the new adds he popped so I was quite surprised when he popped about 10-20 yellow/orange worm maggots.
I was even more surprised when some of those adds dropped 2-3 drops and 8-10 master seal stacks.

They knew it was bugged at this point

I had also read Gunner's thread here on BW about killing the worm a day or 2 before with 1 fg and receiving utter crap for drops. This made me think we had encountered a one time fluke.

He(they) knew about the bug

He did the semi-logical thing and expoilted it so they could get a bracer each, where as on a normal raid there would be a total of two bracers drop.

Seems fair that they farmed 30k seals and 100 or so bracers from a single raid that took 30 mins

Later that evening I filled out a bug report to Goa, saying we encountered this bug( which had been stamped out long ago) and had taken a bit of an advantage of it, but that this in the greater scheme of things was very open to a much larger organized exploitation.
I had hoped that this would get us off with maybe a slap on the wrist and maybe even with the loss of all proceeds from the raid.
I can't fault Goa for removing the items from game, but suspending accounts for 1 week is far too harsh a punishment.

He(they) tryed to get away with it , failed and got banned

Originally posted by Messor
imo its goas fault for not fixing the bug they said they had fixed previously so instead of banning 50 ppl for a week, remove all the loot from the raid and let everyone get back to enjoying the game

GOA havnt fixed the bug where people can filter packets from the server and use them to make radar programs thats ok to then? :sleeping:

S

Spamb0t

Originally posted by -Nuked-
try reading reno's account of how it happened!

"cry more cheating scum!" and "Myabe next time you'll think before EXPLOITING bugs" just shows how much you have read into the matter. you should apply for a job with GOA, you think like them

if u actually read it it says they didnt exactly hurry up with killing the worm.. but farm the small ones for quite some time first.

O

old.Nol

IMO just give away the power relics too, at least the rest of this incredibly populated realm won't have to sit up all weekend trying to defend.

S

saltymcpepper

Originally posted by 1234Taz
GOA havnt fixed the bug where people can filter packets from the server and use them to make radar programs thats ok to then? :sleeping:

goa never actually said it had fixed radar bugs did they

Q

Qte Eth

well ofc i understand that 50 ppl are quite sure that Goa sux

bugs have been in daoc always ,and ppl were getting bans for abusing em , like remember famous guy hiding in wall RP farming etc,they got bans and those bugs werent fixed next day or even next week afaik,just ppl didnt bug abused because it wasnt allowed or they get bans for it ,so its not goa fault here.

And at what point u will agree that economy is ruined?if worms were farmed 5h instead of 45 minutes and ppl got 5M for 50 ppl and 600 WW bracers ?whats the difference between bug abusing 45 mins or more?getting WW not from main worm isnt supposed to be possible so its bug abusing.

Just wonder what participants of raid were thinking about what will happen after that raid , its plain and simple that goa wont let those bracers and seals stay ingame if they will find out about this raid ,so ppl who farmed worms hoped goa wont know they were abusing bug, so its nothing close to inocent.
Nice for others that there was no rollback ,which some thought will happen .

And answer how many accidents of this sort will happen in future?

ps:and ive heard about much bigger numbers then 600 seals and 2 bracers per guy,but not like it matters anything really

C

censi

I would be very suprised if GOA managed to delete all the seals and items obtained from this raid.

They have left it too late to roll back.

This many WW's in circulation is very bad.

C

censi

im would not be disgusted with them deleting the items.

a 7 day ban would have been enough to make me /quit though.

Can anyone confirm if they managed to track all the 120 bracers that dropped and delete them???

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom