A Question to the NON-Daoc Members

the_hermit

Fledgling Freddie
This is not a flame. This is not an opinion. This is a question.

Why is it that in every forum there is some kind of derogatory comment made by someone (usually multiple someones) in regards to DAoC players? Did they insult your parents? Did they spill your pint? Steal your lolly?

Let me guess - you don't like ANY of them because of the way SOME of them post/attitudes? Correct?

Yes, I am completely with you that a FEW of them spam the forums constantly. Yes, I am completely with you that a FEW of them are generally unfriendly. So, comments like:

I thought the rep system did work? Its the brains of the DAoC players that dont.

Introduce the Classifieds forum, reinstate the Rep System, close the DAoC forums / ban all the users. Problem solved.

- are directed to all daoc players because a handful abused a system? Every one MUST be completely thick because they play DAOC, because YOU say so?

If you people think it's bad now, just WAIT till BarrysWorld closes and everyone else comes on over. You guys will have an insult-lobbing field day, and FH will become BW because of snippy little comments everywhere.

I would be very interested to read why everyone instantly assumes "DAoC Player *MUST* be a retard"...

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
Probably because very few seem to see something wrong with having a sig that's 12 lines long whilst posting 1 line replies.

Cyfr

Banned
Im a DAoC user but i'll reply anyway. It's because there are tons of mindless idiotic daoc players that spam the hell out of the forums, act like total twats and treat Freddy's House like its an irc channel. Many have little or no respect for the rest of the community and are simply here to annoy others. The few people that are nice in DAoC, the few that do care about the community, never really stand out because if they post they are likely to get mobed by the majority of the DAoC forums who are spaming whiners.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Lol Scoob! - was about to say the same thing - pisses me RIGHT off :)

the_hermit

Fledgling Freddie
So you make comments because of their sig lengths?

The spamming I agree with - nothing worse than plodding through a dozen posts trying to figure if there is anything interesting/worth reading, but taking the piss because someones sig is 12 lines long? :eek6:

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
strangely I prefer to abuse people who play games that run the halflife engine.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
It's a bit of harmless fun. Us geeks see DAoC players the way the normal mundan world see us geeks. They're are like some kind of uber-uber-geeky entity.

We like to rib you all because you spend an awful lot of time in a virtual world just to get a cresent shaped shield, while we know full well that we'll spend just as much time witha server trying to get the latest patch installed so we can have bigger brighter fonts :)

Basically, by generalising our abuse to the entire DAoC population we are not singling out people and letting you all enjoy the fun.

I have two very good real life friends who are DAoC players, and I take the piss out of them as much as I would any other player. If only because they spend all day complaining about the mezz that got them last night or the fact DAoC has stole their life :)

In short, we love you all really.

*These are my views, and poor ones at that. I do not speak for the rest of the Generalites*

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Mr The Hermit

Please amend your sig, it's obviously sillier than a camel smoking lemon sorbet through a slipper.

Thankyou.

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Nothing wrong with the hl engine. Just the people who play cs are twats.

TdC

RandomBastard said:
Nothing wrong with the hl engine. Just the people who play cs are twats.

all things HL rot the brain. and the genitals.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
My post (as you've quoted above), is in relation to the Reputation System, which was turned off because it was abused by a lot of DAoC players. The ability to limit the length of sigs was introduced because of DAoC players deciding to list their life story in their sigs. The post count was turned off because it was abused by the DAoC players (can you see a pattern emerging here?). The fact is, people hate DAoC players because they cause more trouble than they're worth.

Yes it might be limited to a small minority, but from what's been displayed on here, and on the BW forums people have yet to see the nice side to DAoC players (if there is one).

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
the_hermit said:
So you make comments because of their sig lengths?

The spamming I agree with - nothing worse than plodding through a dozen posts trying to figure if there is anything interesting/worth reading, but taking the piss because someones sig is 12 lines long? :eek6:

Do you seriously not see the problem? Here your reply takes up less room than your sig, could you not see why it's vaguely annoying when a couple of guys with massive sigs have 1 line conversations and you end up scrolling through 80 lines for 3 lines of conversation.

Even with it limited to 4 lines (I like to see what people put in their sigs, it's generally interesting and a pretty good barometer of what kind of person they are) it's still insane seeing

Generic DAOC'er;

Yes ROFL! :p :p :p

X level Character on Server

Funnily enough none of the DoaCers who post regularly outside of the game specific sub forums feel the need to tell us every single in game character they've ever played, is there some kind of link there?

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
and it may also be due to "please like us" threads such as these

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
Scooba da Bass said:
Even with it limited to 4 lines (I like to see what people put in their sigs, it's generally interesting and a pretty good barometer of what kind of person they are) it's still insane
Yes, quite obviously he does.

the_hermit

Fledgling Freddie
OK, so it's harmless fun from your point of view - I can go with that... But!

What makes it so different from, say people play a game as a Counter Terrorist unit? Or the EQ players? Or whatever else - I've never really been a big online-gamer. But you never see "Those CS idiots, wonder who has the brain cell today" or "The EQ muppets can shove their pointy hats up their arse"

As for the rep system - I agree - it was abused to hell - my first two posts here both got negative rep for no reason, and I believe someone got hammer to about -30!! But why do you assume it's all of us? Ranging from 12 year old Johnny down the road, up to 55 year old Bert - we're all muppets because a few of our number have pissed around??

OK, yes, I can agree - the sigs do get out of hand, including mine - but as has already been pointed out - you can limit that in the options. I know you will say "But I shouldn't have to" but then - why should we limit ours? If you think there is nothing interesting past the third line it won't matter if it is reduced.

As for the "please like us" I never said please like us - I just can't understand that various subjects can induce a "fecking daoc'ers" comment from someone.

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
Why cant you just put all that list onto a page somewhere and link to it?

My stats!

Then everyone is happy :sex:

TdC

the_hermit said:
OK, so it's harmless fun from your point of view
yes

What makes it so different from, say people play a game as a Counter Terrorist unit? Or the EQ players?
nothing

But you never see "Those CS idiots, wonder who has the brain cell today" or "The EQ muppets can shove their pointy hats up their arse"
yes you do, pay more attention :)

I just can't understand that various subjects can induce a "fecking daoc'ers" comment from someone.
you too will grow to love it

heehee :)

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
TdC said:
strangely I prefer to abuse people who play games that run the halflife engine.
You know Half-Life is built from Quake 1 :D

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Why?

Tey all have no lives, spending every waking moment getting 20 characters up to the highest level in fagotry and sadness possible.

Then they act like 8 year old retards.

Then they think they're fantastic people and are always right, because they have +35 twig bending.

Would be OK, but they won't leave it alone and keep it quiet - they seem to find it necessary to tell everyone everything about how they've done in the game. Real world just don't care, please shut up.

Oh yeah, you're all spamming thick retards too.

the_hermit

Fledgling Freddie
KevinUK said:
Why cant you just put all that list onto a page somewhere and link to it?

My stats!

Then everyone is happy :sex:

Actually - that is not a bad plan :D JUST to please people and prove that there are actually intelligent, helpful and friendly daoc'ers, I will.

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
I think the key point here is that it's not just "a few" - it's a lot. If there were just a couple of spamaholic idiots around, then we'd no doubt be mentioning them specifically by name. However, there's at least a significant minority (if not maybe even a majority) of DAoC players who really aren't much fun to share a board with.
We aren't saying that all DAoC players are annoying, rude post-mongers with stupidly long signatures, but there are enough who are to justify referring to "DAoCers" rather than "DAoCers, excluding those who are really quite nice, only post when relevant and have nice short sigs".

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
the_hermit said:
What makes it so different from, say people play a game as a Counter Terrorist unit? Or the EQ players? Or whatever else - I've never really been a big online-gamer. But you never see "Those CS idiots, wonder who has the brain cell today" or "The EQ muppets can shove their pointy hats up their arse"

For a start there is no dedicated EQ or CS section. And from what i gather when the official DAOC forums shut down everyone was told to come to Barrysworld and use those.
Which meant that alot of the DAOC people using them saw it as their god given right to say what they want on those forums.
Barrysworld/Game.net did the DAOC players a bloody big favour providing those forums and Deebs/TTD do the same here, on bandwidth costs alone!

So when they act like morons, be that all of them or only a few of them. And sanctions have to be imposed that effects all the forums (Postcounts, Rep etc etc), no wonder alot of people think they should just be banned/forum closed/whatever.

Now add to that the same attitude of alot of DAOC forum users, that these forums are their own and they can do as they wish. Not naming any names as it's pretty clear from looking at the DAOC forums who i'm on about.

Will

/bin/su
And don't forget that, once upon a time, we were just the simple Barrysworld forum, and DAoC still had their own forum hosted by Goa. So we still view them as incomers.

There have been plenty of flamefights with other types of gamers. Wasn't there some HLDM league that decided to invade one week?

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Swift^ said:
Why?

Tey all have no lives, spending every waking moment getting 20 characters up to the highest level in fagotry and sadness possible.

Then they act like 8 year old retards.

Then they think they're fantastic people and are always right, because they have +35 twig bending.

Would be OK, but they won't leave it alone and keep it quiet - they seem to find it necessary to tell everyone everything about how they've done in the game. Real world just don't care, please shut up.

Oh yeah, you're all spamming thick retards too. CTFOADOA.
Couldn't have put it better myself. Most DaoC players really are quite shit.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Also, they all seem to have the same personality.

And they're all incapable of understanding forum subtleties, regularly taking totally the wrong end of the stick because they're too idle to use their brain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom