A Question to the NON-Daoc Members

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Swift^ said:
Please don't link it into DAoC forums. Every time one of these debates comes up, some idiot pastes the link and then you get 50+ idiots shouting at you and increasing the swear count on the forums..
Another reason I hate them. Group mentality.

Ok, who told them?

Conchabar

Fledgling Freddie
tRoG said:
The point (Or, a point) is that it's not a tiny minority of the DAOC lot who are spamming, txt tlk1n, retarded gits. There's quite a lot of them.

I played DAOC for over 18 months, and was driven away - partly by the complete boredom that overcame me when looking at the game, but mostly due to the fact that 50% of the playerbase were complete twats.

I hate to generalise like this, but that community is awful. Absolutely awful.

i couldnt agree more tbh.. i thought the average player was either younger then 14 or had the mentality of one -x- esspecialy the l33t twats on the servers tt

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I feel sorry for the nice players in the Daoc community. The problem is, daoc was invitied to use BW/GAME and suddenly took over "our" forum. Over on BW forum features were disabled purely because of the DAOC lot being uncontrollable spammers -the top 5 threads for example. The forums went down most time's the daoc game servers went down and they neeed to lvl up their postcount instead.

This along with some idiots deciding to bring their daoc style posting into the general forum and spamming all over just tarred the whole daoc lot with the same brush. This is partly the fault of the daoc mods and the GAME/BW mods not doing enough to quickly ban these idiots (no matter how many of them there were). But then we all know what happens when someone is banned on those forums, all hell breaks lose.

Now all this hatred has carried over here, most dont understand why DB's and TEd are happy to invite the daoc lot over here, but thats their decision. Things have already started changing because of the daoc lot, postcounts, sigs etc. The spammers are rife -and as has been said, the majority still haven't moved from BW/GAME. Thankfully this isn't BW/GAME, the mods are not pussyfooting and don't have to explain shit -its like Bigfoots dream job :p

Anyway I have seen the banlist for this forum, 99% daoc users. This is good, all the tits and spammers are getting dealt with now. People will know where to draw the line to not get banned and maybe this place will have a daoc community that doesn't piss everyone else off. But, no, the daoc jokes won't stop. Hell they are funny, why should they?

SilverHood

FH is my second home
I think the reason a lot of DAoC'ers post shit, is because the "General Forum users" expect them too.

I mean, threads like this, with swift et all slamming them all for being retards, 14 year old, or with a mental age of one, you can hardly blame them for living up to your expectations of them. True, some 50% of them *are* twats, I should know, I played that game for 15 months... but most seem to to come from the Excalibur forums, where telling people they should die of aids were quite common before Damini and BF put their foot down. I'm not defending, but not all DAOC'ers are as bad as they are made out to be.

In my opinion, I'd just remove the server specific off topics from the DAoC forums - it just encourages spamming. The DAoC "off topic" was a place where you could post random stuff, without getting in the way of the regular posters on here... so getting rid of that wouldn't be good for the inter forum communities.... Just start banning the twats, and eventually you'll be left with a few half wits, and mostly good posters.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
tbh if you read the DAoC boards there's plenty of sensible posters. They may whinge a bit about small statistical differences that sound silly to you but that's nerds the world over. We're all here together being kindly hosted by Ben and Tony in our hour of need so I see no reason for us to fall out.

Big :wub: all round imo !

babs

Can't get enough of FH
While you're talking about assumptions....
I would be very interested to read why everyone instantly assumes "DAoC Player *MUST* be a retard"...
I would be very interested to read why you think everyone assumes "DAoC Player *MUST* be a retard"

:wub:

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Jupitus, Jonaldo, Cyfr, Filmgoblin, Silverhood, etc etc - top geezers who "crossed over" to general bit of the forum without a hitch.

Reason being (besides em being nice guys) is that they dont bludgeon you over the head with the fact they play(ed) daoc.

I couldnt give a toss what game someone plays, however as has been said before the majority of daoc players who have graced BW have tainted the image.

Btw, I played daoc too, with Wij in fact as did some more of the regs. There are indeed some lubberly people playing but there are many more gimps.

Ps. CS players can FOAD ;)

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Oi, I was a cs player for years, still am a bit. So is Chetan. And tremor. And Lester :(

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
throdgrain said:
Oi, I was a cs player for years, still am a bit. So is Chetan. And tremor. And Lester :(

I did know that before I posted you tart ;) Lol Random, no comment! :)

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
*Humms Black Eyed Peas - Let's Get Retarded*

*Sets said song as theme for DAoC*

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's very simple really, the majority of DAoC players treat these forums like the game itself & seem to think that by repeatedly doing the same thing over and over (generally this means "posting crap") they'll somehow earn respect and standing with the entire community. Problem is they're wrong.

Oh and the signatures thing, because the DAoC majority can't control themselves there are already modifications to this board to stop the abuse they have introduced into the community.

Sorry that you feel you've been tarred with the "DAoC" brush, but tough, you being a good boy doesn't make up for the couple thousand retards so I won't apologise for "labeling" DAoC.

Oh and Xtro, you smell of wee :p

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hmm

Interesting thread.

I think what DAOC players or indeed players of other games is a system where they can input these stats into their profiles and not in their signatures. Then we can get tough on signatures and any bollox relating to game stats = instant ban or something just as harsh!

Oh Sheepcow, where art tho my ickle php monkey?????

/me instructs the posse to hunt him down!

Bob007

Prince Among Men
An average of 4000 ppl play DAoC every night. Why do poeple keep mentioning "the daoc majority", 2001 ppl aren't posting here/bw.....

But, I would admit, The must vocal on daoc forum sections, here and at bw, Do give am impression that the rest have can't argue with. I also agree something has to be done, even more now with this fresh start. Lay down the rules. Keep to them with vigur(sp?) and the comunity with sort itself out in time. Just like Barrysworld did in its day ;)

A good start has alrdy been said. remove the server off topics, Just leaving the daoc/off topic. This would mean 2 less boards 2 mod. Even go as far as just having excal/ alb, hib, mid, rvr, and trade sections. Then everything else can go into daoc main section. At the momment and at barrysworld. There are just to many places to spam and to many boards for the mods to keep up. There most active times are when the mods want to play the game. Make there life easier by reducing there work load a bit. /hug daoc mods.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
RandomBastard said:
Well if i didnt say it somebody would :/ probably meg or ch3t too.

LOL. Never, not me. Hush Ice :)

As for playing CS, my steam works now, but FH have a QW server. I kinda know what the daoc lot deal with as regards CS bashin EXCEPT CS players never take it that seriously because they play with those idiots and know its all true.

Bob007 said:
An average of 4000 ppl play DAoC every night. Why do poeple keep mentioning "the daoc majority", 2001 ppl aren't posting here/bw.....

But, I would admit, The must vocal on daoc forum sections, here and at bw, Do give am impression that the rest have can't argue with. I also agree something has to be done, even more now with this fresh start. Lay down the rules. Keep to them with vigur(sp?) and the comunity with sort itself out in time. Just like Barrysworld did in its day ;)

A good start has alrdy been said. remove the server off topics, Just leaving the daoc/off topic. This would mean 2 less boards 2 mod. Even go as far as just having excal/ alb, hib, mid, rvr, and trade sections. Then everything else can go into daoc main section. At the momment and at barrysworld. There are just to many places to spam and to many boards for the mods to keep up. There most active times are when the mods want to play the game. Make there life easier by reducing there work load a bit. /hug daoc mods.

Post that in the feedback forum, you might see something done about it.

Rubric

Part of the furniture
I no longer play DAOC and havnt done for about 8 months. Which coincides with me having an 8 month old baby. More important things in life you see.

In my opinion and i have posted this already in feedback but it disapeared. Remove the off topic sections full stop from the DAOC forums. No other game has its own off topic forum that is what general is for. And if they come spamming the general forum ban their arses.

I do post in the DAOC forums myself still but its a habit i'm trying to break and it is very easy to get dragged into the posting because you get wound up and bite to some things that are said. I was banned from their twice as well. A bit of mod baiting i'm ashamed to say & then the second time the mod i baited was looking for an excuse. The mods in those forums used to be a very clicky bunch & their mates would get away with whatever they liked where as someone else would get a warning or a ban. New mods these days and Jupitus doing a great job at the moment.

I must admit i was surprised that DAOC was carried over to FH but they are here now. You may not like my suggestion if the OT'ers come to general but i am sure they would be dealt with in a swifter fashion.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
The reason some people dont like CS players is for a different reason to DAOC players. And I would agree that a lot of CS players are idiots by the way.
And just like the DAOC people, they dont even understand why people see them like that.
F off n00b Im not a idiot I aer teh pr0.

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Give me banning powers for 5 mins and i will clear up the cesspit that is the DAOC forums.

You all know who im on about.

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Deadmanwalking said:
Give me banning powers for 5 mins and i will clear up the cesspit that is the DAOC forums.

You all know who im on about.

Have I told you lately that I love you? :fluffle:

Wile E. Coyote

Fledgling Freddie
Maybe a stupid question, but: If you don't like DAoC and those who play the game ( :( ); can't you just NOT read the forums dedicated to DAoC?

Just because what people post there doesn't live up to your holier-than-thou standards doesn't mean there aren't people who enjoy it. Otherwise they wouldn't post there would they? As long as they leave your section of the forum alone, what harm do they do? I played (and play on and off) DAoC and I enjoy reading and posting in the DAoC General OT forum. I wouldn't dream of visiting Excalibur OT for instance, because the kind of drivel posted there doesn't interest me the slightest. But this doesn't mean I feel the need to dictate to those that DO post there how and what to post. Or remove the section entirely.

Can't we all just get alooooong?

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Wile E. Coyote said:
Maybe a stupid question, but: If you don't like DAoC and those who play the game ( :( ); can't you just NOT read the forums dedicated to DAoC?

Just because what people post there doesn't live up to your holier-than-thou standards doesn't mean there aren't people who enjoy it. Otherwise they wouldn't post there would they? As long as they leave your section of the forum alone, what harm do they do? I played (and play on and off) DAoC and I enjoy reading and posting in the DAoC General OT forum. I wouldn't dream of visiting Excalibur OT for instance, because the kind of drivel posted there doesn't interest me the slightest. But this doesn't mean I feel the need to dictate to those that DO post there how and what to post. Or remove the section entirely.

Can't we all just get alooooong?

Well it isn't quite that simple, I'm afraid. The bad eggs amongst the DAOC community have already had a negative impact for everyone in that their abuse of the reputation system has led to it being disabled, and their spamming to enhance their post counts has led to disabling of the post count funcionality also.

We are doing our best to make FreddysHouse an new community site for DAOC with all of the previous areas that were available on BW before, but at the same time we are trying to 're-educate' certain users in order ensure that they don't spam as has been the case on the BW boards. This is due to concerns over future bandwidth usage in particular, but also in an effort to make some of the 'fun' areas more appealing to the general DAOCer rather than the +1 elite who seem to have made OT areas their own on BW. :touch:

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Jupitus said:
Well it isn't quite that simple, I'm afraid. The bad eggs amongst the DAOC community have already had a negative impact for everyone in that their abuse of the reputation system has led to it being disabled, and their spamming to enhance their post counts has led to disabling of the post count funcionality also.

We are doing our best to make FreddysHouse an new community site for DAOC with all of the previous areas that were available on BW before, but at the same time we are trying to 're-educate' certain users in order ensure that they don't spam as has been the case on the BW boards. This is due to concerns over future bandwidth usage in particular, but also in an effort to make some of the 'fun' areas more appealing to the general DAOCer rather than the +1 elite who seem to have made OT areas their own on BW. :touch:

Someone mentioned getting rid of the OT areas of the DAOC forums. Discuss between the mods of the DAOC forums over in your private room, you can shape how those parts of FH look and work.

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Getting rid of the OT DAoC forums will just spread the spam to other forums imo. Keep us contained in the loverley warm hole we are acustomed to! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom