Football 2022/2023 Season Football Thread

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Bale is done now, he must be. He was, on the whole, disappointing when he was back at Tottenham but there were still flashes of brilliance. We didn't see any of it at this tournament, I saw somewhere that he'd had the second fewest touches of any player in the tournament who played in all 3 games.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I tend to agree. He's good if they can get the ball too him but if not he needs to drop back to help out whilst still providing the outlet - which means working harder, not milling about up front.

It's whether he was told to. But I doubt he gives a fuck - there's always golf.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Bale is done now, he must be. He was, on the whole, disappointing when he was back at Tottenham but there were still flashes of brilliance. We didn't see any of it at this tournament, I saw somewhere that he'd had the second fewest touches of any player in the tournament who played in all 3 games.

Saying he was disappointing at Spurs seems a bit disingenuous to me, he scored 11 in 20 PL games iirc. Those are good numbers for someone who had barely played for a couple of years before going there. Scored a beauty against us.

Unfortunately though, you are right about the first part. The end of Wales "Golden Generation". Bale, for me, the best British footballer of all time, is clearly cooked. He was a passenger in every game. Showed that one flash of class to win the pen against the USA, but absolutely nothing else. Ramsey was god awful, and Joe Allen somehow worse. The only bright spot for me was Neco Williams, who I thought was superb in every game. Him going off and Rashford suddenly looking World Class is no coincidence in my opinion. Moore looked excellent after coming on against the USA, and had a few good moments against England but was poor against Iran.

We'll always have 2016.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
He isn't even close, but he could of been.

I meant of his generation, but he is up there in the all time list. In terms of pure footballing ability, probably George Best and Gascoigne up there? Most Champions League wins of any British footballer, overhead kick in a CL final to win it, that goal against Barca in the Copa Del Rey, that Hat-trick against Inter, Euro 2016. There aren't many British footballers who have ever done what Bale has done.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Equal with Phil Neal you mean. Most European Cup wins (4) - which is, of course, harder than the Champions League - because you had to win your own league to qualify in the first place ;)

Bale can fuck off if he thinks he's claiming last season's CL - he didn't play in the final and made only 7 appearances all season.

Anyway. He doesn't even appear in 442's top-25 (although we could swap him in for John Terry, because he's a cunt). :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Why would a Welsh player be in a list of English players?
Fair point. Should be British.

I wasn't exactly taking it that seriously tho I did type british into google :eek:

:(

Embattle

FH is my second home
Poland have been crap, they looked like they were setup for a draw and so far have failed miserably.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Just Costa Rica and Japan to win to knock Spain out along with Germany :p

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Group E is insane. Japan and Costa Rica both winning means Germany *and* Spain are going out as it stands.

Edit - ok Germany just equalised which means it would be Spain and Japan going through.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Im sure England fans will be very sympathetic to German complaints about the Japanese goal and wether it crossed the line

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I'm just glad football starts again on Saturday.

Ormorof

FH is my second home

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Edit: Awww @Raven. You deleted your post that said "VAR didn't award it - Hawkeye did". :)

To answer you
1) Wrong
The VAR officials ultimately instructed the referee, Victor Gomes, to award the goal

2) Ultimately irrelevant because the point is about VAR "doing nothing to dampen debate around crucial decisions".

Examples being given in just that article being:
Whether it was Antoine Griezmann’s disallowed late equaliser against Tunisia for France, Argentina’s VAR-awarded penalty after Wojciech Szczęsny appeared to gently brush Lionel Messi’s face with his hand, or the lack of a penalty after England’s Harry Maguire was wrestled to the floor against Iran, VAR’s subjective calls remain a point of contention

So yeah. VAR is doing nothing to dampen debate around crucial decisions. And I'd add to that "and comes at a cost of holding up the game at critical points".

The game is better without it - because the same shit happens, but there aren't any holdups.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
No, just can't be arsed to go over the same thing, over and over again.

We get it, you don't like VAR waaa waa waaa.

It was hawkeye that said the ball didn't go over the line, no human decision involved, at all.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
No, just can't be arsed to go over the same thing, over and over again.
Shame. Like brexiters, every time VAR is shit - which is a lot - I'm going to moan.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
The ball did not cross the line. I don't get why it's so hard to understand?

Embattle

FH is my second home
The ball did not cross the line. I don't get why it's so hard to understand?

I think some people get confused when they see a bit of green, they seem to forget that the football must be completely over the line and that since a football is round you will see the green pitch. You then have the assorted camera angles that like anything effect the perspective.

In the Germany are out because they were shit over the 3 games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom