Football 2022/2023 Season Football Thread

Embattle

FH is my second home
I'm sure Neymar can guide renewable development via some kind of roll regen method.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Fuck the Premier League. Proper football fans support their local team.

That's not to say the prem is less entertaining, some great football, but imagine supporting a team that is bound to a location you have never visited, let alone have a connection to.

Edit, I am still buzzing from beating Liverpool at the Kop end

Last edited:

Aoami

I am a FH squatter

That's not to say the prem is less entertaining, some great football, but imagine supporting a team that is bound to a location you have never visited, let alone have a connection to.

Southampton is (was) my local team. No ground above probably tier 9 closer to the house I grew up in than St Mary's. I do also generally get a season ticket for the club wherever I'm living. Was previously Dulwich Hamlet, then Maidenhead but nothing this year due to baby. Saints will always be my club though because they were my closest club as a boy. Even now I don't live there I get to 5 or 6 home games and a few aways a year.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber

So what about those who don't have any (decent) local team? I first went to school c. 1972, and when then asked which team I support I picked the obvious top newsworthy team, Leeds. Yes, you might say shallow, but I stuck with them, thick and (very) thin. Am I not a 'proper' fan?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
So what about those who don't have any (decent) local team? I first went to school c. 1972, and when then asked which team I support I picked the obvious top newsworthy team, Leeds. Yes, you might say shallow, but I stuck with them, thick and (very) thin. Am I not a 'proper' fan?

What has "decent team" got to do with anything? You don't support a team because they are winning, you support a team because they are local, or not necessarily local, but you at least need a connection. Edit, win or lose, you still go to watch them play, and it means something.

I could just decide I support Arsenal because they are top of the table.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Also what happens if your local team gets to the premier league? You just stop supporting them?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Also what happens if your local team gets to the premier league? You just stop supporting them?

No, you just carry on supporting them, but you don't pick a team because you saw them on the TV.

I just don't get where people find the connection. Like I say, I could decide I support Arsenal (or City ofc) because they were winning. I saw them on match of the day and can buy their shirt at Sports Direct. Proper fan, man and boy.

Edit, I can guarantee there was more celebration and pride in Cobblers beating Liverpool in front of the Kop than any Liverpool cup result.

Last edited:

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
But my connection to a premier league team is that I grew up about a mile away from their ground?

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
What has "decent team" got to do with anything? You don't support a team because they are winning, you support a team because they are local, or not necessarily local, but you at least need a connection. Edit, win or lose, you still go to watch them play, and it means something.

I could just decide I support Arsenal because they are top of the table.

At 5 years old?

Embattle

FH is my second home
My choice was tradition, in essence my dad supported Chelsea thus I picked them in the mid 80s.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Back to the point. I think the PL have backed themselves into a corner by accepting that PIF is not the Saudi Government/Royal Family. They can't row back on that, and surely now they can't say no to other Saudi companies that are clearly bankrolled by the Royal Family. Grim situation.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Would be a real "careful what you wish for" to the Glazers out crowd

Football fans will sell their soul to any sugar daddy who bats their eyelids at them. The Glazers are hated because they took more than they gave.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
"I can't wait to put England out of the world cup"

Kieffer Moore 2022

Embattle

FH is my second home
How much longer is Southgate going to wait to change players?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber

Not sure Wales will beat us 4.0 :) But who knows, Southgate at the wheel.

Glad to say, I will never see another game with Southgate in charge.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Swiss team bus crashed on way to ground... Driver forgot to put it in... neutral 🥁

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Eng v Wales is dull as dull tbh.

Quite like Bellingham tho. Couple of nice flicks.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Very disappointing to have played so poorly throughout all 3 games. Thought we might have a reaction tonight but it wasn't to be. Bale being hauled off at half time says it all really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom