Football 2021/2022 Season Football Thread

Embattle

FH is my second home
See there were some more monkey chants from a minority of Hungary fans.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I watched it with the sound off. Can't get on with ITV, but I thought there might be. Nice to see Sterling putting them to bed though.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Ok. Going to sound a bit callous given the circumstances:

Ms Gibbon said the welfare officer role could be fulfilled by ex-footballers.
"It also gives past players who aren't too sure what they want to do in the future the opportunity of a role to stay within the football community but not be attached to coaching or management."

Sorry. After years of making money playing a game you love you face a life that most of the rest of us have been working at since we left school. Creation of bullshit jobs which mean you can continue to avoid the real world shouldn't be a thing.

There's more stuff I could say on the story but not without seeming incredibly mean. But hey ho.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Depressed man kills himself, but Scouse knows better - of course.

You're a disgrace.

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
Creation of bullshit jobs which mean you can continue to avoid the real world shouldn't be a thing.

Like those Equality and Diversity Officers.

While I feel for the guy who killed himself, I don't see why footballers need special help. By this I mean I don't see why a segregated group is needed for footballers, not that people don't need help.

Last edited:

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
The same happens when anyone leaves something that controls your life, army, sports etc, they absolutely do need help and support to readjust.

The wages involved are irrelevant.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Depressed man kills himself, but Scouse knows better - of course.

You're a disgrace.

I think the point is more about how there's many people out there that face similar situations.

The answer is obviously about mental health support for all, rather than playing whack a mole with individual mental health needs when they make a news story.

Manual work (building specifically) in general throws up these questions; they earn a good buck but when their body eventually gives up what do they do after that?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I think the problem with professional sports (and the same as the military) is that they are pretty much told when to get up, what to eat and when, when they need to be here, when they need to be there, from a reasonably young age. Then it all suddenly stops, and they have to deal with everything themselves.

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
The same happens when anyone leaves something that controls your life, army, sports etc, they absolutely do need help and support to readjust.

The wages involved are irrelevant.

Yeah you're right. Realised it after I posted that I side tracked a bit so edited now. I had focused on the real world v temporary reality angle.

Gwadien

I think the problem with professional sports (and the same as the military) is that they are pretty much told when to get up, what to eat and when, when they need to be here, when they need to be there, from a reasonably young age. Then it all suddenly stops, and they have to deal with everything themselves.

Thats why 'mental health' isn't just 'see a doctor.'

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Ok. Going to sound a bit callous given the circumstances:

Sorry. After years of making money playing a game you love you face a life that most of the rest of us have been working at since we left school. Creation of bullshit jobs which mean you can continue to avoid the real world shouldn't be a thing.

There's more stuff I could say on the story but not without seeming incredibly mean. But hey ho.

Unfortunately the "end of one career before the next starts" is going to be the norm for most of us going forward, and our children will probably have 3-4 changes over their lifetime, and for some the transitions will be hard, and for a few, impossible. And while footballers are cloistered and shielded from the real world at a young age, there are lots of programs and protections in place for "post-football" from the PFA already; most "normal" people have to just figure it out for themselves.

I certainly have sympathy for what this woman is going through, but she might want to look around at the rest of the world for a bit, footballers aren't going to be anyone's priority.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
He had three kids and a wife so he had plenty to live for. And his wife, like a lot of bereaved people, is getting airtime with her bereavement-induced nonsense (like the people who say "ban cars" because road deaths exist or "pave mountains" because their idiot son fell off). I sympathise with her situation but it's idiotic to automatically bow to the calls of the bereaved, who've understandably lost perspective.

This one's saying that a job should be getting created for people like him so he doesn't have to face the real world and get a job at the end of his football career. But he was "responsible" enough to have three kids and a wife, so where's her support of "don't worry about what's coming up I'm going to support you until you find something you'll enjoy doing". He had plenty to live for, so "free money and no responsibility for footballers" by the creation of a bullshit job isn't the solution here.

@Gwadien is right - mental health issues abound and people need holistic support across society, not privileged footballers getting special treatment - the creation of special football jobs for football people who have gone through their lives having their asses wiped for them paid to play games for a living.

Football does have a responsibility - but not to those people with specific mental health problems - but to all players. If clubs take kids from a young age then they need to teach them how to be actual people. And it needs to support them in planning for their retirement from the game.

And even then, footballers will fall through the cracks. It's about making those cracks smaller for everyone.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I certainly have sympathy for what this woman is going through, but she might want to look around at the rest of the world for a bit, footballers aren't going to be anyone's priority.
Completely.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Brazil vs. Argentina has been suspended because the Brazilian health authorities have tried to arrest the 3 Argentinian players who play in England, while they were on the pitch and the match was underway.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Why on earth they decided after kick off was a good time to do it and not before is anyone's guess. If they do in fact have a 14 day quarantine in place, then the players should not have been selected, or the game rearranged, or whatever. Complete lack of organisation.

DaGaffer

Why on earth they decided after kick off was a good time to do it and not before is anyone's guess. If they do in fact have a 14 day quarantine in place, then the players should not have been selected, or the game rearranged, or whatever. Complete lack of organisation.

Bolsonaro. Brazil is a giant shitshow of a country and this has that idiot's hand all over it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Bolsonaro. Brazil is a giant shitshow of a country and this has that idiot's hand all over it.
To be fair, if there are wuarantine rules the respective football authorities should be all over them.

But yeah.

Gwadien

To be fair, if there are wuarantine rules the respective football authorities should be all over them.

But yeah.

Yeah but with Brazil's track record and their leadership's views on Covid... Yeah nah, populist grand standing.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yeah but with Brazil's track record and their leadership's views on Covid... Yeah nah, populist grand standing.
Yep, but tgey wouldn't have had the chance if it wasn't for the idiotic actions of the football authorities.

Obey the fucking covid rules is pretty simple, no?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
It will backfire on his populist bollocks when they award a 3.0 win to Argentina (or whatever the default it)

Gwadien

Yep, but tgey wouldn't have had the chance if it wasn't for the idiotic actions of the football authorities.

Obey the fucking covid rules is pretty simple, no?

I suspect there's much more local politics going on here than we see; probably some public outrage at footballers for breaking said rules but I wonder how many of the politicians have been breaking the rules.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
There was an agreement between all the CONMEBOL nations (including Brazil) that all of the team "bubbles" would be allowed to move around unimpeded, no matter where the players were based. CONMEBOL actually sent a letter to the Brazilian FA saying that Argentina would be awarded the win if those 4 players weren't allowed to play. Having said that, there was apparently a responsibility on the Argentinians to notify the Brazilian FA that they had UK-based players (the ones that very obviously came from the UK) in their squad so it sounds like just a shitshow.

Willian just signed for Corinthians and didn't have to quarantine on arrival and the "bubble" system worked perfectly well in the Copa Libertadores over the Summer. Brazil are just sulking because none of their UK-based players were released from their clubs.

Like Messi said, the entire Argentinian squad was in Brazil since Thursday (maybe Friday), there was ample opportunity to deal with the situation without this grandstanding nonsense.

It's funny how the countries who have dealt with the pandemic the worst are making the biggest song and dance about lists, quarantining, etc.

Gwadien

There was an agreement between all the CONMEBOL nations (including Brazil) that all of the team "bubbles" would be allowed to move around unimpeded, no matter where the players were based. CONMEBOL actually sent a letter to the Brazilian FA saying that Argentina would be awarded the win if those 4 players weren't allowed to play. Having said that, there was apparently a responsibility on the Argentinians to notify the Brazilian FA that they had UK-based players (the ones that very obviously came from the UK) in their squad so it sounds like just a shitshow.

Willian just signed for Corinthians and didn't have to quarantine on arrival and the "bubble" system worked perfectly well in the Copa Libertadores over the Summer. Brazil are just sulking because none of their UK-based players were released from their clubs.

Like Messi said, the entire Argentinian squad was in Brazil since Thursday (maybe Friday), there was ample opportunity to deal with the situation without this grandstanding nonsense.

It's funny how the countries who have dealt with the pandemic the worst are making the biggest song and dance about lists, quarantining, etc.

Populism 101 though innit, fuck up, blame someone else.

DaGaffer

I suspect there's much more local politics going on here than we see; probably some public outrage at footballers for breaking said rules but I wonder how many of the politicians have been breaking the rules.

Bolsonaro himself for one. On at least half a dozen documented occasions.

DaGaffer

I expect extreme blowback from this. FIFA are basically demanding clubs subsidise players on international duty 2-3 times longer than they already do (in order to cover quarantine), and at a time when you've got bullshit proposals like 2-year World Cups. I know the Super League was a shite idea, but sometimes you can really see why clubs would like to wash their hands of governing bodies altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom