1.81B TOA-Tastic

Gamah

Banned
Bubble said:
I think he means that NOW (as in currently) its a power gamers game, and they have just taken away the only hard part in daoc

I disagree TOA is not hard..how hard is it to have a ml9 pet and tank pretty much everything..its time consuming, not hard.

Where as me and you have access to these kind of things the casual does not mostly..and giving them any boost is good for the overall population.

I might actully be arsed to finish my wiz :p.

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
sounds like a step in the right direction i know that i was getting bored and even thinking about toa made me think "i dont want to do this" huzahs for mythic.

and anyone saying otherwise is obviously working for satan :p

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
Awarkle said:
sounds like a step in the right direction i know that i was getting bored and even thinking about toa made me think "i dont want to do this" huzahs for mythic.

and anyone saying otherwise is obviously working for satan :p

:( :(

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
Thats its a really cool patch
instead of Working hard to make our charaters show the difference between us and someone who cba, now lets ToA our guys in 2 days and have no more 'epic' 50 person encounters in the game
Even better lets give everyone everything they need, don't worry about farming those annoying raid items, buy them from a merchant and farm the encounters you need as much as you want.

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
Comos said:
You actually thought toa was FUN at the moment? Farming those damn stomachs or collecting those jars? Everyone was always very relieved to finally finish the toa on their characters, thanks to this patch, every player now has the ability to get any artifact he/she wants and, as well as MLs, a LOT faster then before.

Actually, yes I did/do think ToA was fun - this isn't counter-strike some people don't play only to have characters fully equipped so they can be at their peak for rvr, alot of people play for pve side of the game as well as rvr and ToA offered lots of opportunities to do different kinds of encounters, and pose a challenge to those who wanted to take it up (ofc there's no challenge in /sticking a ML leader and waiting for the credits to roll in but having done many encounters with very few people that is a challenge that requires thuoght, effort, team work and is fun).

I like the idea that you don't actually need to get the artifact item anymore so that people can't monopolise items but more powerful items should require more effort to get - perhaps by making them harder to xp so you do actually have to put some effort in.

Righthandof

Fledgling Freddie
Motowntheta said:
Realm vs Realm and Class focus
Motowntheta said:
CLASS CHANGES AND FIXES

Archers

- Scouts, Rangers and Hunters are now awarded Safe Fall 1 when specializing in Stealth to level 10.

Spell-timer Normalization

- Many spell and ability timers no longer overlap from Class Spells, Master Abilities and Sub-classing spells.

i love the patch, but please tell me there will be more class changes, and not just these 2 craps to balance classes.

DirtyDiana

Fledgling Freddie
Bubble said:
instead of Working hard to make our charaters show the difference between us and someone who cba, now lets ToA our guys in 2 days and have no more 'epic' 50 person encounters in the game
Even better lets give everyone everything they need, don't worry about farming those annoying raid items, buy them from a merchant and farm the encounters you need as much as you want.

You obviously have alot more time in game than most.

Tareregion

Fledgling Freddie
How many casual gamers are there left really? :| This patch is just making it easier for the h/c players who want to level up a new toon, another way to keep them addicted to the game and squeeze out a bit more money before the end. Kind of like UO :p

Pera

Fledgling Freddie
The best part of it all is that it doesn't matter a bit what people like Bubble or Javai says anymore...its going to happen and I love it!

1.81B :worthy: :clap:

Couldn't resist to edit and say what people like you don't realize is that DAOC starts after you hit 50 and get your arties. The entire point is to get everything out of the way fast so that a lot more people who has been discouraged by ToA can get out to frontier and enjoy RvR as much "L33T Pwnz0r: people.

Jimmi

Fledgling Freddie
Bubble said:
Worse patch to ever hit daoc

By making things so easy, there going to kill the only good PvE part of this game. Buying ML items etc will take all the fun out of it etc.

I know alot of people are going to think Woah Easy ToA, what a great patch!
Arty spawn rate changes are good, increased scroll drops isn't, removal of ML requirements sucks too.

Go play WoW for PVE :O

DirtyDiana

Fledgling Freddie
Tareregion said:
How many casual gamers are there left really? :| This patch is just making it easier for the h/c players who want to level up a new toon, another way to keep them addicted to the game and squeeze out a bit more money before the end. Kind of like UO :p

Im casual and cos of my life i get to play less and less. Same for alot of people. No reason why someone who has time and lack of life to be able to sit their for 18 hours a day camping a artifact, should have more of a gaming experiance in rvr than someone who only gets 18 hours a week, or 8 hours a week, or 2 hours a week.

Phantomby

Loyal Freddie
Hmm, well i consider myself a casual gamer. difficult to get arti's, Ml's require too much time sink, so no ML9 pet or uber twinked template...But i enjoy RVR.

Seems this patch hs upset the farmers and the hardcore and only a minority of them.

Even if we all have access to nearly the same equipment won't rvr come more down to skill rather than who has more time played?

Roll on that patch, i was close to quitting and this looks like a light at the end of the tunnel.:clap:

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
Bubble said:
Worse patch to ever hit daoc

By making things so easy, there going to kill the only good PvE part of this game. Buying ML items etc will take all the fun out of it etc.

I know alot of people are going to think Woah Easy ToA, what a great patch!
Arty spawn rate changes are good, increased scroll drops isn't, removal of ML requirements sucks too.

It was sort of fun when I did the first character. But now several chars in the thought of all the extra PvE that comes with ToA isn't so appealing anymore. This might make me level a few classes I have always fancied trying out.

Shaping up to be the best patch in DAoC history is this :clap:

Pera

Fledgling Freddie
"Even if we all have access to nearly the same equipment won't rvr come more down to skill rather than who has more time played?"

What scares them more than anything is that casual people who have more skills then they do but were unable to compete because of these time sinks now can get all they need to RvR much easily and hand them their ass in RvR in a golden platter.

Septima

Fledgling Freddie
Nice job on the arty's, but don't like the changes for ml's and scrolls.
I aggree with Javai on this, the challenge to do some ml encounters with small groups is part of the fun i have in game and that may be taken away with this patch. But for more accurate thoughts i will wait and try it.

PS: i'm a casual player but with a nice bunch of guildies.

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
Pera said:
"Even if we all have access to nearly the same equipment won't rvr come more down to skill rather than who has more time played?"

What scares them more than anything is that casual people who have more skills then they do but were unable to compete because of these time sinks now can get all they need to RvR much easily and hand them their ass in RvR in a golden platter.

That's not my objection at all and if you really think rvr will ever come down to skill you are seriously misguided it is in large part about time spent which gets you rps which gets you RAs and it will simply mean that RAs tip the balance in fights rather than ML abilities.

None of this 'scares' me at all, I think it detracts substantially from the atmosphere of the game and the things available as challenges for those who do not wish to play Fantasy Counter Strike.

joap

Fledgling Freddie
Bubble said:

Much as I like a good challenge i find the current state of the game not to be challenging.
Atm, if you need tartaros/gov/CB, you just need to have (in mid where i play) a friend come along with a summ sm and a BB and you get enc credit and arti. The arties I mentioned (and some others) dont really show you are a good player. They just show you have friends with the correct farming toon.
Sure there are still encounters that are a challenge and can't simply be focused away (Bracer of Zo/ Jacinas spring to mind) but in reality they are the exception to the rule.

Imo this changes level the playing field among all players, and will eliminate much of the greed and selfiness TOA introduced in the game, since people will actually cooperate in artifact encounters and not just "quick pull i see a group inc they may steal the mob".

Yes ofc you can argue that we're solving the problem by taking the easy road. But it's only in TOA. Tuscaran Glacier (and it's hib and alb counterparts), Dark Spire, certain Otherworld areas (in mid, dont know if its also hard in alb/hib) will still have plenty of encounters that are challenging and fun for a group of friends looking for a little PVE and valueable item farming.

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
Pera said:
Couldn't resist to edit and say what people like you don't realize is that DAOC starts after you hit 50 and get your arties. The entire point is to get everything out of the way fast so that a lot more people who has been discouraged by ToA can get out to frontier and enjoy RvR as much "L33T Pwnz0r: people.

And what you don't realise is that some people actually enjoy the ride to level 50 - exploring the world, beating a boss that does somethign otehr than let you spam pets at it, etc etc.

For some people the entire point is NOT to get everything out of the way fast but acually to enjoy the whole of the game. I am a great supporter of inclusive rvr and encourage many peopel to get out and do it without templates fotm characters - my current rvr character isn't even 50 and owns precisely one artifact and no MLs, she still has fun in rvr.

The last thing in the world I could be accused of being in a "L33T Pwnz0r person. I just don't see the game as being ONLY about rvr and loved ToA for its rich historical/mythological depth, the range of things available to people and the way it enhanced characters abilities this patch strips it down to purely the later element.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Sounds like a great patch to me. I look forward to its release.

Pera

Fledgling Freddie
"That's not my objection at all and if you really think rvr will ever come down to skill you are seriously misguided it is in large part about time spent which gets you rps which gets you RAs and it will simply mean that RAs tip the balance in fights rather than ML abilities."

I can show you how many times a skillful bunch of 8 can get more rps an hour than a skilless bunch of noobs. As a matter of fact thats why its no suprise to me seeing a lot of experinced players rolling on different servers/realm making 8 man and still farming the heck out of groups that are 6-7 RR higher than them at RR2-3. Yes it all comes down to skill given the equal type of equipment/MLs. What was keeping a lot of very skillful and casual players away from RvR was the fact that they simply didn't have the time of "hardcore" players to eliminate all the gaps between them equipment/ML wise.

I am very suprised that you think skill has nothing to do with RPs earned and it depends on time spent. Then tell me why an 8 man can get as much as 40K in two hours whereas a decked out skilless bunch of noobs can't even come close to that number a night after 6-7 hours of playing?

I ll tell you, because they get killed/farmed by the more "Skillful" opponents. If you think dumping Banelords, RAs, /use2 on Artis what wins the most fights you are the one who is being misguided.

Pera

Fledgling Freddie
Javai said:
And what you don't realise is that some people actually enjoy the ride to level 50 - exploring the world, beating a boss that does somethign otehr than let you spam pets at it, etc etc.

For some people the entire point is NOT to get everything out of the way fast but acually to enjoy the whole of the game. I am a great supporter of inclusive rvr and encourage many peopel to get out and do it without templates fotm characters - my current rvr character isn't even 50 and owns precisely one artifact and no MLs, she still has fun in rvr.

The last thing in the world I could be accused of being in a "L33T Pwnz0r person. I just don't see the game as being ONLY about rvr and loved ToA for its rich historical/mythological depth, the range of things available to people and the way it enhanced characters abilities this patch strips it down to purely the later element.

This is all fine and dandy and holds true if you atre playing the game for the first time. Sure when I made my first char some 4 years ago in November 2001 I enjoyed exploring the areas and the ride to 50 which was a lot more painful back then.

HOWEVER, this game does not attract new people anymore. What holds DAOC together today is the fact that it has established a strong "Fan" base who still today keeps playing. Trust me, if this patch does what it states, then I will be holding on to this game much longer and lvl more alts. It also encourages new players to come and catch up with the rest of the field and eliminates the "time sink".

So overall, coming to our main point, I still don't see how anyone can think this is a bad patch in any way other then people who has way more time in their hands and can farm almost anything in the game.

Dorimor1

Banned
I love the idea of the fact that you no longer need the artifact to activate it, which is great, though I think that they are just making it a little too easy.

Zoia

Can't get enough of FH
Gibbo said:
It was sort of fun when I did the first character. But now several chars in the thought of all the extra PvE that comes with ToA isn't so appealing anymore. This might make me level a few classes I have always fancied trying out.

Shaping up to be the best patch in DAoC history is this :clap:
That's what i thought as well. ToAing my skald was ok. It took a while, but i got there eventually.
ToAing my zerker wasn't as bad as i thought, cause i knew how to do it. It's only ML6, but i'm getting there.
When i got to my valkyrie, i chose an easy way out and only took a couple of artifacts and haven't even started on MLs yet.
I have a lv 50 hunter and a 35 SB, but so far i cba to ToA/level them cause it will cost too much cash and take too long.
With these changes i can now ToA them easier and get more classes ready for RvR, which means i will play and enjoy DAoC longer.

I personally like solo/duoing and that's something you can't do unless you have a warlock or a fully ToAed char, and i'm not making a warlock. :)

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
I share some of the worries about making TOA, especially MLs, too easy.

However, if they pitch it right, then it's very good.

A for instance - if you have a BG that can do Fortress of Storms (ML4.2) in under an hour, then 4.5 and 4.6 are over in a blink of an eye with no strategy needed. If this change means that 3-4 fg can do 4.2, then they can beat 4.5 and 4.6 with strategy, and be challenged at those encounters too.

Darzil

Deepflame

Fledgling Freddie
I generally like this patch, though I am worried they will over-simplify TOA. I don't want SWG-2 to happen. I consider myself somewhere between casual and power gamer, I've got the means to pretty much farm anything that doesn't require a full group. However, getting TOAd doesn't make you insta-r0x0r, I've TOAd my scout and my cleric and I'm still not raking in the RPs. ;p Maybe I suck, hehe. Anyway, I like how artis now exp anywhere. Although I'm not too sure how one gets the artifacts now..

Anyway, TOA wasn't hard, it just took a lot of time. Most ML raids easily take up 2 hours, 3 for some. It's a bit nasty, and now I have an internship and actually don't have 7/hours per day available to play DAoC I can understand where a lot of people are coming from all of a sudden. (I have 2 hours free time per day.)

I'd rather see Mythic finding a way to make TOA go faster instead of go easier, a bit harder would do for me too. It'd be nice to have to put in some tactics and skills to do things instead of just spam pets with a theurgist. It's already easy enough.

Zoia

Can't get enough of FH
Deepflame said:
I generally like this patch, though I am worried they will over-simplify TOA. I don't want SWG-2 to happen.
I hope they don't do it like SWG. :)
Although i don't play it myself, i've read about it and it seems like they made a huge mistake there.
So far it looks good and i really don't think, or hope, Mythic will do the same mistake.

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
Not even half as good as real petspam even though it´s much better then we had before

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom