Impressed £67.5 billion... nope... 263 billion, and rising.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Perversely, maybe it's the best place for COP28 then? At least they'll have to hear all the science.

The problem is, without the oil, that whole area of the world is just a sandy little butthole with no way of making money. It literally would put them back into caves.

If they haven't heard it already I doubt they will in the future.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
If they haven't heard it already I doubt they will in the future.

I imagine they'll have to sit in room after endless room and hear speech after speech about how fossil fuels are fucking everything.

It might be cognative dissonance or it might be genuine psycopathy. But if it's pure belief, then maybe he'll have his tree shaken a bit.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
I imagine they'll have to sit in room after endless room and hear speech after speech about how fossil fuels are fucking everything.

It might be cognative dissonance or it might be genuine psycopathy. But if it's pure belief, then maybe he'll have his tree shaken a bit.
Allegedly he has been using his time as prez of the conference to try and make oil and gas deals

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Allegedly he has been using his time as prez of the conference to try and make oil and gas deals
Naturally.

That saying: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it"....

Tom

I am a FH squatter

> “I accepted to come to this meeting to have a sober and mature conversation. I’m not in any way signing up to any discussion that is alarmist. There is no science out there, or no scenario out there, that says that the phase-out of fossil fuel is what’s going to achieve 1.5C.”

It's perfectly reasonable to phase out most fossil fuels. We know how to do it. So do our politicians. It isn't expensive. They just don't want to.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It isn't expensive
It is expensive for gulf states though. What else have they got?

They're mega-rich from fossil fuels. They won't give that up.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Another great reason for more nuclear:

It may mean some of Sellafield’s most sensitive activities, such as moving radioactive waste, monitoring for leaks of dangerous material and checking for fires, have been compromised

and, trusted to act in the best interests of UK safety:

The full extent of any data loss and any ongoing risks to systems was made harder to quantify by Sellafield’s failure to alert nuclear regulators for several years

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
@Jupitus - can we add "...nope, £263 billion" to the title of the thread please m8 :(

:cry:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Still need more nuclear.
Is there a cost envelope that would make it prohibitive to you?

I mean, that £263 billion is three full years of the current UK deficit (and the figure has grown 350% in a decade).

Also - if no cost is too much, what about safety, given the revelations above?

Embattle

FH is my second home
Is there a cost envelope that would make it prohibitive to you?

I mean, that £263 billion is three full years of the current UK deficit (and the figure has grown 350% in a decade).

Also - if no cost is too much, what about safety, given the revelations above?

See all previous comments regarding you using Sellafield as an example.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So, it can never be too expensive, and it can never be unsafe enough. You just want it.

Check :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
2.3-2.5 cubic metres of radioactive “liquor” has been leaking from the facility every day. This liquid is a soup of radioactive magnesium alloy filings dissolved into water, from waste cladding that encased spent Magnox nuclear fuel
@Wij old bean. Thoughts?

Your opinion on this was based on us all thinking that these were risks - but the reality is very different.

I think we're proper fucked here. We can't even re-bund (which would be a major engineering challenge) - because underneat the containment unit are thousands of tonnes of leaked radioactive material.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Propaganda, given the cost. :(

but hey - ho. at least someone's having fun.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
More multi gigawatt reactors ASAP :p
I'm afraid your ASAP is a fantasy. We won't be able to bring enough online before 2050 to have an appreciable effect on the 2 degree target, never mind 1.5.

It's an absolute fantasy that nuclear can help us now. Maybe if we'd started building in the 1990's. But we didn't.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I'm afraid your ASAP is a fantasy. We won't be able to bring enough online before 2050 to have an appreciable effect on the 2 degree target, never mind 1.5.

It's an absolute fantasy that nuclear can help us now. Maybe if we'd started building in the 1990's. But we didn't.

Got to start them ASAP, they should put one next to your hot tub :p

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Got to start them ASAP, they should put one next to your hot tub :p
If they can invent a shield that makes the o/h feel safe from 100 year old pine trees falling on her during storms that'd be handy. To be fair though - it's fucking terrifying out there right now :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Well that's interesting:

If we build even more nuclear we become more reliant on Russia - it's the only country on the world that makes nuclear fuel commerically at the moment.

We say we'll make it here instead, but if that delivers like we've delivered on new nuclear in the last 14 years - i.e. zero plants online - then that's laughable.

And, of course, all way too late to help with our climate targets, as none of it will be online for another 25 years, when we need it all online before 2030.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Now if we can just kick King Charles out of the profits from the auction sales we could take that 25% and spend it on, maybe, upgrading the grid so it can accept the energy?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Dunno if anyone else is on Octopus but I changed my tariff to the tracker tariff and my gas bills have halved. Electricity bills down to about 2/3rds what they were.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

So. The cost increase alone is costing us more than it would cost to insulate every home in Britain.

The cost to insulate every home in Britain would guarantee tens of thousands of jobs and save us way more in energy than the cost of this not-going-to-be-in-time (and getting later) white elephant.

Remind me why we lock up peaceful protestors again?

Last edited:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It isn't costing us, it is costing EDF and the strike price was already set.
It's eating into EDF's profit a bit. The strike price was a massive expensive giveaway at the time. If it became unprofitable they'd pull out or we'd stump up more.

Still. A) Not going to be on time and B) Insulate Britain were right - we could insulate all our housing stock cheaper for much more gain.

Embattle

FH is my second home
It's eating into EDF's profit a bit. The strike price was a massive expensive giveaway at the time. If it became unprofitable they'd pull out or we'd stump up more.

Still. A) Not going to be on time and B) Insulate Britain were right - we could insulate all our housing stock cheaper for much more gain.

Still you were wrong to imply we are paying more for it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Still you were wrong to imply we are paying more for it.
Meh. This is the story of this particular white elephant. We're subsidising France really:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom