Yet another DSLR thread!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Wow that's a nice price :) And I guess you already had lens(es) from your 350D to put on it? I see a bit of a hoohar about the announced 70-200 f2.8 IS II... including the extraordinarily high price. :|

Ono

Part of the furniture
Yep - got my cousin to pick it up for me in HK.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Robert White had a load of Nikon bodies stolen not so long ago (I think)... Bloody crimewave. :eek:

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
To save a new thread, because I'm efficient like that.

The recent (in the US, anyway) season finale of House was filmed entirely on the 5D Mk2. I didn't realise the HD movie feature was so advanced, I watched the finale before finding this out and didn't notice anything, um... different.

It was shot mostly on primes, with the 24-70 and 70-200 also being used. It was a great ep as well, shot mostly in confined spaces (cited as one of the reasons for using a DSLR).

Anyway, I think this is cool. :)

Ono

Part of the furniture
Shooting movies with a DLSR is something I'd love to do but it is extremely difficult to do properly.

Take a look at Stillmotion's efforts. It's a bit soppy but I love their work.

stillmotion's videos on Vimeo

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Just a different set of skills really. Shooting moving pictures takes a lot more planning. With stills, you can be lucky once. With moving pictures, you have to be lucky all the time.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
The lack of autofocus in movie mode makes it a bit tricky to use, but I do enjoy making little clips with it, particularly with the 50mm f/1.4 for the awesomely shallow DoF.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
lol expensive :) my photosavvy mate got himself an 1d mark IV this weekend. I know it's hard to say the o0 equivalent irl, but I tried when I heard what it cost. I'll forward him that lens linkie hehe.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The lack of autofocus in movie mode makes it a bit tricky to use, but I do enjoy making little clips with it, particularly with the 50mm f/1.4 for the awesomely shallow DoF.

You're hampered with focus on an SLR because the camera isn't designed to accommodate that function easily.

What you need (if you wanted to do it) is a follow-focus rig. Then you need a shoulderpad. Then you need something to weigh the back of the camera down, or your shoulder will be aching in about 30 seconds.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
*bump*

I want to get a decent camera to have as a hobby tbh, been looking at the Canon 500D, Amazon have it for £475

Is this a good entry level camera, or should i be setting my sights a bit lower to start with?

Cheers

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
What sort of photography do you want to get into? Landscape, abstracts, sport, wildlife, portraits? Lenses are very important, more so than the body; what lenses are you looking to use with it? Just a starter / kit lens?

I would be tempted to push for the 550D over the 500D as it has Canon's new 18 MP sensor as opposed to the 500D's 15 MP sensor which is an older design. The 18 MP sensor is better at higher ISOs than the previous generation sensor with less banding. The increase in resolution wouldn't be noticeable, so my recommendation is nothing to do with that.

To answer your question, the 450D, 500D and 550D would all be great entry level DSLRS that will allow you to take very good photos indeed, make movies and give you a taste of what you may want to pursue without breaking the bank.

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Am tempted by one of those £140 Canon 350d with lens kits on eBay. No movie recording, no live-view or anything, but for that sort of money who cares.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
£500 is a lot to spend on a hobby if you don't yet know you'll enjoy it.

I suggest buying a decent photography starter's book, and a cheapo digital (the sort of thing that's handy to have anyway, hobby or not), and going from there. If you enjoy it, then buy a DSLR. If not, then you haven't chucked £500 away.

Edmond

I have a little Sony cybershot hanheld thingy (10mp) and have taken it to NY twice. Its handy in the fact that i can just put it in my pocket, but it doesnt take very good long shots, landscape stuff. I have always liked taking pics, so i dont mind spending £500 on a decent one, as i will always use it regardless.

I would rather that then spend £300 and realise for that little bit more i could have had a lot more for my money, as some of the compacts can cost that these days

G, i prefer long landscape kind of photography,(tbh your explaination of what i need has just made my head hurt) do i buy the camera and then have to fork out for a specific lens? and Tom, i will have a look for a starter book as you suggest

Thanks for yoiur help chaps

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The cybershot will take excellent photographs, but I suspect that you're not quite sure how to use it appropriately—hence the book. Buy the book first, then once you hit your Sony's true limitations, you'll have a much better idea of what it is you'd like.

Edmond

I get frustrated with its zoom level, if i had a decent lens that could give me a close up with out losing quality, then i would be happier. but i will do what you say first Tom, cheers

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yeah, it probably has a 3x optical (the good kind of zoom) and then 4x digital (the bad kind) zoom or something, all sorts of quality issues onces you venture into the digital zoom range (which essentially just makes the middle of the picture bigger).

Tom

I am a FH squatter
If you've a limited zoom, don't try to take pictures you can't get. Look to take pictures you can get, instead. For instance, the lens I regularly use on my DSLR is very wide, and useless for landscape photography, so I tend not to bother, and do stuff like this:

4696784337_90c33bbb60_z.jpg

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Any recommendations for a digital camera, around £150-225 mark, for general use. Video a definite plus. Been looking at the Ixus 210 as the main frontrunner, anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom