Yet another DSLR thread!

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Not really. There are some fairly basic rules involved in storytelling. What may appear obvious to you (who shot it) may end up mystifying anyone else.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Ok if you say so :), it's just dudes smoking cigars really, I wasn't expecting much of a story!

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Oh yes, I can see its a work in progress, but even as a rough edit it tells me nothing of the location, the reason these people are smoking, if they're even in the same room. There's very little contextual information, and the result is that its pretty, but ultimately a little bit boring.

Just little things really, when you're shooting moving pictures you're constantly having to think first about how you want to tell the story, and then how you want to shoot that story.

I have so many things pulling me in different directions though. New car. New roof for house. Finish upstairs of house. New camera. New radio mics (damn OFCOM). Extra audio equipment for work. It never ends :(

old.user4556

Just some interesting chat on "50D or 7D?" here:

Perfect time to buy a 50D?: Canon EOS 7D / 50D - 10D Forum: Digital Photography Review

... and just when I thought that K-7 wasn't going to cut it against the new bodies, I see the latest pixel peeping discussions show continued interesting results with smeared noise reduction coming from the 7D - there is mixed opinion about this new 7D in the Canon camp, particularly considering in this instance the praise for the Pentax is coming from Canon owners.

7D noise reduction: where did the texture go?: Canon EOS 7D / 50D - 10D Forum: Digital Photography Review

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
In the immortal words of Rhino from Bolt, that is fully awesome! :D

I listened to wise words, adjusted the cost ratio of body to lens from 1:1 to something much more reasonable and bought a 50D today. :)

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Wwowowowowow at the helicopter mounted camera, that's seriously awesome.

old.user4556

In the immortal words of Rhino from Bolt, that is fully awesome! :D

I listened to wise words, adjusted the cost ratio of body to lens from 1:1 to something much more reasonable and bought a 50D today. :)

Excellent! You got it yet? Post pics!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I don't have it yet!! I'm ordering from France (3-5 working days) and have been told that it will be with me tomorrow. :) Warehouse Express said the tracking info would be emailed to me on Friday but it wasn't :eek: I still don't have the tracking info but earlier today the bloke said it would be here tomorrow so it better! :eek:

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Not delivered because consignee on holiday
On holiday my arse - I've been sat here all day twiddling my thumbs waiting for a certain delivery! :eek: Not so much as a card dropped off. :(

By the way, I bought the camera with the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 USM IS (consistently good reviews - the best EF-S lens Canon have made, apparently - and an excellent walkaround lens if I'm not after the telephoto end, which I'm not atm) and then got the Canon 50mm f1.4 as well. Plus hoods and a 8gb UDMA card and stuff.

On a separate note, what do y'all use for protection (oo-er) and transporting? I'm looking at one of the Lowepro Slingshot or Rezo range. Didn't even occur to me when I was ordering stuff but it's obviously something I need to think about pronto if I'm taking more than 1 lens out and about. I'm going to some charity bike ride (as a spectator/encourager) on the 27th so I'll probably spend most of the day taking pictures of people I never met before on their bikes!

Sooooo tomorrow hopefully.... :D

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Best advice is to find a local Calumet or Jessops, and have a look at what's on offer. Get a bigger bag than you think you need, because you'll soon fill it.

old.user4556

I have two bags.

Lowepro mini trekker for my outdoor work, it's a regular workhorse backpack that's pretty robust as far as compact rucksacks go and has plenty space for all my gear (except my telephoto). It has customisable velcro compartments and waterproof zip pockets. Wind, rain and sand have been thrown at it and done very well against the elements - Lowepro Mini Trekker AW Black (1990010) - Warehouse Express

I also have a Lowepro Nova shoulder bag when I wanna travel light or discrete where photography isn't my main motivator, such as on holiday or popping out to see my neices where I only need my DSLR, two lenses max (non-telephoto) and perhaps my flash (I would leave my LEE filters and adaptors in my rucksack). It allows me to travel light but keep my kit protected at the same time - Lowepro Nova 160 AW Shoulder Bag - Black (LP35248) - Warehouse Express

Both of these bags are awesome and I recommend them both.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yeah there's a Calumet in Brum that I might pay a visit too when I'm in England at the end of the month. It's a pity the Warehouse Express showroom isn't a bit more central, you don't exactly trip over Norwich, it's not between anywhere and anywhere :( Jessops is pricey but probably good for going in and actually looking at and touching stuff. Having said that they were actually cheapest for the 50D body before the 7D was announced and WE dropped their 50D prices.

And you're dead right about getting a bigger bag than I need, I started off looking at the Slingshot/Rezo 100 AW (camera with lens + 1-2 extra lenses + stuff) and that's just not going to be big enough for very long I don't think!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Aye milou, I was looking at the Slingshot 200 AW. Speaking as someone who uses (or used) one: is the whole Slingshot thing a bit of a gimmick or does it actually work well?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Spoke to the delivery company this morning, apparently the parcel is "damaged". :eek:

They're still going to deliver it this afternoon, needless to say I will go over it with a fine-toothed comb before signing.

:(

milou

Part of the furniture
Aye milou, I was looking at the Slingshot 200 AW. Speaking as someone who uses (or used) one: is the whole Slingshot thing a bit of a gimmick or does it actually work well?

It works well. I only changed over to the Trekker as I was 'hiking' longer distances and the over-one-shoulder style of the Slingshot began to drag.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Ok thanks. :) I don't envisage lugging it around for massive periods of time so I think I'll go for the Slingshot 200 for now.

PS - It's here it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here it's here! And not damaged in the slightest! There was a little crease in the side of the box but WE packed it so well it didn't matter a bit. :D

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
My camera bag is a Crumpler - huge storage capacity, really well made, slightly less...nerdy than Loewe pros etc. and it doesn't look like you're carrying expensive camera gear around (and when its on you back can't be unzipped from behind). Highly recommended. Quite expensive, although I didn't pay anything like the price on the website; I got mine for about £100 from the camera shop opposite Jessops on New Oxford Street (forgot the name). Oh, and it takes a lappy as well.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I find myself holding my breath as I change the lenses in a subconscious effort to not get dust anywhere near the sensor. :(

And thanks DaGaffer, I saw a review of one of those bags somewhere and it faired well. I hadn't really thought of a laptop compartment but it would seem to make sense.

I went into what appears to be the ONLY photography shop in the south of France today and they had a Slingshot 100 AW for 119 euros. that's more than twice what I can get it for in England after allowing for the exchange rate. :\

A spider, a tree, a vineyard and me playing around moving the AF point in Live View. :) The camera is fantastic I love it.

Attachments

• IMG_0241s.jpg
    IMG_0241s.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0382s.jpg
    IMG_0382s.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Img_0624s.jpg
    Img_0624s.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 40
  • Img_0610s.jpg
    Img_0610s.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 37

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Take pics of the new camera with your new camera!!!

Failing that just take a pic of your pubes sexy.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I find myself holding my breath as I change the lenses in a subconscious effort to not get dust anywhere near the sensor. :(

I wouldn't worry about it, just don't change the lens in a sandstorm or when its raining, and you'll be fine. They're easy enough to DIY clean.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
To be honest, I've read that Sony review G posted. And I'd still have one.

old.user4556

They need to sort out the grim high ISO noise problem before I go near them.

old.user4556

Callous,

I was reading about this place which was getting good recommendations:

Lenses For Hire Ltd.

This might allow you to try out an otherwise mega pricey lens on a rental basis to see if you like it?

It's got me tempted into buying a Canon 50D body second hand on ebay on the cheap for mating to a 500mm f/4 IS for next year's Open Golf at St Andrews - planning to go up on the practice day and photograph the big stars.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Make sure you have insurance if you hire. Lenses aren't cheap to repair if scratched. I know because I've just had a £1,600 claim go through my insurance for a scratched telly wangle.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yeah thanks, there was a pretty informative thread on dpreview about hiring lenses - I think when I'm based in the UK again it's soemthing I'll definitely pursue. I'm sitting tight with the 2 lenses I got with the body for now, I was looking at a wide-angle but the 17-55mm is juuuuust about wide enough for my needs atm. Not much on the top end but that's only a minor frustration for now, I'll probably look at one of the 70-200mm L's. Oh and a macro lens would complete the array for now, but that can wait til spring when orchids start arriving again (and when I can afford it). :)

I find myself wanting to go to things just to take pictures now :) There's a rallycross thing in a few weeks I'm hoping to get to, and various other little things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom