XP-killers

S

Sigurd Volsung

You have to love them, really.... you are happily killing a mob, when along comes an infiltrator/scout and kills you, making you lose experience. Is this fair? Sporting? I mean, come on, half of these guys were purple to me (before I hit 40) and they generally hit greys who can't kill them even when they aren't killing mobs... the bastards...

However I have a hilarious story about one of these people. Today, my 19 hunter was being powerlevelled by some very kind friends I promised to help out with my main later. We were in DF, killing various purples to me, including lilspawns. We had seen several kill messages of middies to an infiltrator, near the top I assumed, until he attacked and killed a realm mate nearby who was killing a mob. He ran before anyone could do anything about it, and we moved a little lower. We were 3, 32 zerker and a 33 shaman making up the rest of our little group. We had just pulled a lilspawn when our shaman was attacked by the infiltrator. We quickly killed the lilspawn and the infiltrator chased our shaman around in a circle, evidentally trying to kill her so she could not rez us. I stuck him, swinging my spear ineffectively at this level 50 (I think) infiltrator, with the zerker also chasing him. He finally killed our shaman, then tried to hit the zerker - by this time Mr. Infiltrator was pretty injured, as my weaponbuff was actually hitting him. He got tired of me and stopped to kill me, which took him 2 hits. Mistake. This gave zerker time to bear and finish the bastard off. We were soon rezzed, and laughed thouroughly about it ;)

This guys name was either Venomous or Poisonous, or something like that. I hope he hangs his head in shame that a level 19 helped kill him :)

NOTE: I have lowered myself to kill greys before, once or twice, but NOT when they are XPing, I do have some honour ;)

S

Sharma

hmmm what a stupid git that infil must be desteathing at that moment, guess he must have forgot that greys can over power high cons easy.

a lvl is just a number....nothing else...well besides hps and that but thats besides the point

S

Solid

Question.

I have never purposely xp kileld anyone, or even accidently to my knowledge, so can someone clarify if the xp killer gains anythign out of xp killign someone?

I was under the impression there is nothing to gain from doing so as you dont get any rp from a kill if that player was actively engaged with a monster at the time.

If this is the case than the xp killer gains nothing but a bad reputation as a griefer, cos thats what xp kills are.

Its perfectly withitn the rules so I assume griefers dont mind bwing thought of as just sad cunts with a "look at me" syndrome.

This is my personal view on the griefer playerbase (never had to deal with one as yet thank god :D)

V

Venemous

In my defence, I killed at least 30 mids in DF at the weekend. I will never attack a grey unless its attacking me. Your friend i went for was green so i was just after a few rps. Not usually worrying about greys I didnt even notice your mate was a beserker then looked at my health bar turned round and thought oh ****. There is only one other fight that a grey has fallen to my blade in DF. If there is a large group of greys with say one green in I will usually wait for them to start to fight mobs before picking off the only one that will give me rps. That just makes sense as the others have no choice but to stay and fight the mob. Theres nothing more embarrasing than being killed by a grey ;) I see a lot of middies using buff bots, they are the only ones i intend to give exp deaths too as they have an unfair advantage.. I consider myself a fair player, not a sad cunt and a stupid git thanks guys :) you gotta love these posts... Just remember i was attacking a non-grey so your post means nothing.............

O

old.Jadow

Solid

If I see a mid or hib and i'm in a group I almost always kill it if I can. The fact that they are xping means I get no realm points? Well.. a lot of this game is about realm points, but frankly I play it for fun. People who play FPS games kill others and they don't get better abilities the more they kill (afaik!). It's not about griefing or pwning someone. It's just about killing things that are tagged as an enemy.

Saying that, if I'm solo, i'll normally either let them kill the mob or help them kill the mob before killing them.

Most irritating thing ever was some SM in yggdra a couple of months ago. I attacked him, just as his pet aggro'd a mob. So I pulled off and started to kill the mob so he didn't get an xp death (he was on 40% life and poisoned). He then set his pet on me, so I had a mob, a spiritmaster and his pet. Cheeky sod.

Killed them and noticed that he didn't leave a grave. That said, I'd suggest that most people don't kill enemy players when they are quite clearly trying to stop you from having an XP death ;)

V

Venemous

agreed Jadow, when in DF I dont get satisfaction that I have got one over on someone, im just there for the RP's so i can buy some new RA's...
then again if I see someone thats flamed me....
wut19.gif

S

Solid

DF is different, its a RvR dungeon and bloody hard to avoid xp deaths, its kinda mindless zerg friendly, so X deaths there are expected, frontiers and solo xp killing is the silly thing imp as you dont gain anything in game terms for your character

K

krill-nyd

It can happen in DF without the zerg, especially at quiet times. And like Jadow I don't mind, I just curse. Happened the other day, I was killing a tempter, was down to about 15% of health when it died. Then four albs appeared instantly and killed me very quickly. I have no idea if they watched me fight the tempter or not, so no idea if it was deliberate or just a reaction to finding me. They would have been staring at my grave a few minutes later. While it's infuriating because of the lost learning, it's part of being down there. Just like people in your group pointing at Knight Ukobat and saying 'hey is that guy coming up here?' while you're saying 'run', is part of Darkness fun.

G

Gef

Pfft, I say kill em all, number of times I got killed as a greycon is unreal. Nice one Venom you did your realm proud.

I think this subject has been dragged up from the abyss a few too many times now, and the end result has always been the same.

"If you dont want to get killed by members of an enemy realm then dont go where they can find you!"

Simple as that really, I say killing greycons is fine, they shouldnt be out there. Plus you do get 1rp, kill 2000 greycons and your well away. What I do hate is rezkilling, that sucks a bit, but guess anything goes. I once got killed by assasins like 5 times in 10 mins at the amg .. I got true sight now ya cheeky SB's, at last some revenge!

S

Sigurd Volsung

Lol... like I said, I have nothing... much... againt killing greys... but xp deaths just are not fair. You could always wait until they stop, you still have the advantage as they are on very few hitpoints.

I prefer Jadow's approach, of killing the mob then killing the player. That is honourable. And I wasn't flaming you venemous, I just found it funny that you stopped to kill me instead of killing the zerker :)

For future reference: if you see a green-clad archer, by the name of Serpent, know that by killing him you have agreed to be hunt down by Sigurd the Volsung, Warrior, who is definitly not grey to a level 50. This applies to all infiltrators ;)

D

Danya

TBH I doubt an inf would be too worried by a level 40 warrior. Hell I'd probably kill a level 40 warrior given half a chance. ;)

Greys give a good bit more than 1 RP btw gef, unless they're very grey. You can often get 1xx RP from a mid-30s grey.

A

andrilyn

Why not kill greys?
They are from the other realm, thats for me a good reason to kill them, I dont mind if the person I kill is lvl 1 or lvl 50.
If this would be an Exp death well thats just too bad for them, they should know DF is also RvR based.
If you dont want an exp death since your attacking a mob an a person from the enemy realm kills you, go hunt in your own realm not in a RvR zone.

S

Solid

rofl, trying to find the point the post changed from XP killing to grey killing, you lot need to read more. MUPPETS :D

V

Venemous

erm its about exp killing and grey killing, which is what andrylin is talking about > read more MUPPET :p

V

Venemous

Serpent,
I just found it funny that you stopped to kill me instead of killing the zerker

by the time I turned round to fight, the zerker wasnt zerking and you were charging me while he was further away. Theres no way of telling level difference between grey cons.

O

old.windforce

Good job Venemous.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Exp killing greys is a geat method to prevent them to become green or higher con

V

Venemous

hehe none of them died from an exp death, it wasnt intended and didnt happen. but thanks for the morale support anyways :)

S

Sigurd Volsung

How the hell can anyone defend xp killing? Oh wait... if it hasn't happened to them yet, of course they can. People hunt in frontiers etc. because it gives much better xp and cash. And is generally less overcamped.

And I may be "only" level 40... but I have had my revenge in the past, and will do so in the future :)

Besides, I probably know the frontiers better than half of these people above me, I did nothing but RvR for a long time.

I just urge people to wait until your target sits and rests AFTER the fight to attack them... you will still win, but at least you haven't cost them experience. Respect your enemy, and he will respect you. You never know, you might be in the same situation sometime... then you will be glad you showed mercy.

O

old.Aethelstan

Originally posted by Sigurd Volsung

How the hell can anyone defend xp killing?

Because it's a legitimate tactic.

Oh wait... if it hasn't happened to them yet, of course they can. [/QUOTE]

It has happened to me, many times. I can still defend it.

People hunt in frontiers etc. because it gives much better xp and cash. And is generally less overcamped. [/QUOTE]

And there's a reason for this - it's because as well as the risk of dying normally to a mob, there's also the risk of the mobs being joined by human-controlled, very aggressive, mobs called Albions, or Mids or Hibs. The reason XP-deaths can occur in the frontier is precisely because it's a legitimate aspect of the game to deny the greater rewards of the frontier to your enemy by increasing his fear of XP-death. It's not just coincidence that the rewards and risks are linked....

I just urge people to wait until your target sits and rests AFTER the fight to attack them... you will still win, but at least you haven't cost them experience.[/QUOTE]

So you don't just want us to wait until the fight's finished, you want us to wait until the enemy has had a nice rest, maybe a cup of tea and a pipe, and regained his strength ??!! Nope. My enemy is easier to kill if being attacked by both me and a beast. I want to kill my enemy. I'd have to be mad, or some sort of plate-clad pacifist, not to take advantage of this situation.

Respect your enemy, and he will respect you. [/QUOTE]

I respect my enemies who go to the frontier. They're taking a risk their other countrymen won't. Good for them. I don't dance on their corpses or laugh at them (or bow at them or any of that nonsense. They fought, and either they died or I did. If an enemy had me at his mercy and didn't kill me, I'd feel patronised, not respected.

You never know, you might be in the same situation sometime... then you will be glad you showed mercy. [/QUOTE]

I was in the same situation. I was killed. I didn't whine.

This is old. The DAoC world divides into two camps here. Those who believe that XP-killing is perfectly legitimate, even desirable. And those who think it isn't. Mythic designed the game for the first camp. The answer, which Mythic or GOA make no secret of, is simple - you don't want it to happen, don't go to the frontier. You want greater rewards, you take greater risks. There's no point complaining about it. It's like joining a PvP server and complaining about being killed by a player !

See you in the frontier. Briefly.

M

matax

Sigurd

I have been XP killed several times in the frontiers. I didn't particularly like it, but didn't then go crying that those people who did it are scum. I knew the risk when I went into the frontier. The reason the XP and gold is better is because you have to balance that against the risk that you might get killed. Yes it's not very nice, but it's the game - the whole point of the frontier is that you can be killed by the other realms. Many people hold the view that we are meant to be at war and therefore any kill should be taken. I have heard many high levels say that they go to the low level xping spots in the frontier and gank grey cons because they then tell all their high level guild mates who all come out to play :)

It has been said hundreds of times before on these boards - if you don't want to get killed in the frontiers - be it grey ganked or XP killed - don't go there. There is always the chance that someone will come and kill you because they want to. If you can't cope with that then don't go there again, because it will happen to you again !

How the hell can anyone defend xp killing? Oh wait... if it hasn't happened to them yet, of course they can. People hunt in frontiers etc. because it gives much better xp and cash. And is generally less overcamped.

And I may be "only" level 40... but I have had my revenge in the past, and will do so in the future

You say how can anyone defend xp killing and then go on to say that you have had your revenge - so someone else is now sitting there saying why did Sigurd xp kill me - pots and kettles?

N

nobrot

I guess it's an individual thing, most of us have been grey-con ganked... and some of us have been xp killed, there is a difference, I for one will never intentionaly xp kill an enemy, I think it sux, you dont gain anything from it, and I beleive it is not an honourable way to behave, in short, there is no need for it...

As for grey cons, they are fair game, but I am as likely to have a laugh with them, as I am to kill them, depends on my mood.. and the situation.., dont know who the grey-con was outside the gorge bk, killing beetles, but when I sat down next to him whilst he rested and de-stealthed, you shoulda seen him take off towards the safety of the keep.. he he, that was as much fun as it would have been to kill him... and he braught his m8's out to play as well...

So play for fun, but play with a bit of honour.. and stop the intentional xp killing....

Just my 2s worth

S

Sigurd Volsung

Firstly, I don't care if there is no formal rule against this or not, this is a case of honour. And I said wait until the enemy stops TO rest, i.e is starting to heal, most of these infiltrators not only do xp deaths but xp deaths on greys who couldn't ever win anyway. They are cowards. And Aethelstan, be sure you won't find an easy victory over me in the frontiers, I don't take XP killing very well and have been known to ruthelessly hunt people down over months for said xp death. Fun... I like grudges, so go ahead and give me something to hold a grudge over. And you say you don't laugh at their corpses? Many a time, I have had my corpse laughed at/been killed just as I was rezzed. One time this happened it was by a certain alb sorceress, Layl I believe. She was pretty high when she did this, I would have been around 23. Much later, when I was in my early 30s, I was hunting in Odin's with a few realm mates. I saw this Layl, she was 50 by then with a very high level pet... it was doubtful we could kill her. We stalked her nonetheless, and then she stopped. After a minute or two, we realised she was afk and charged her. I took great pleasure in cutting her up. Perhaps now she knows what it feels like to be utterly helpless in the face of death. Its rather like a man hitting a girl, or shooting a child. Of course, this is only a game, but scale it down. Is it worth it? Making an enemy for life? Pissing someone off, ruining their enjoyment of the game? No, so stop doing it now.

Btw. I would never bring about an XP death on anyone, no matter how much they pissed me off. I might solidly stalk them through the frontiers though. Or throw up on them.

O

old.Sko

Bah afk death - no biggie ;)

More embarassing is lag-death ;) when it looks like everything perfect, you hit button and ...eek - "too far away to attack"/"not in view", followed by stun/mez and nuke ;)

O

old.Krypt0r

Ah well, i aint gona read all of this since its all the same my word is, DONT XP IN THE FRONTIER! =D

I

ivan_tribbiani

Originally posted by old.Krypt0r
Ah well, i aint gona read all of this since its all the same my word is, DONT XP IN THE FRONTIER! =D

No the point of this is ---> Yes you can go and XP wherever you fancy BUT if its DF/Frontier expect to be killed by an Invader. Simple as that really :)

A

Astrakhan

Yes, there are indeed two camps on this. You may be surprised to know that the spirit of informed debate yet lives, and earlier arguments on these boards helped persuade me to move from one to the other.

I come from a very anti-grief guild. So initially, I was totally against grey killing and xp killing. I have contempt for those inadequate people who cause misery to another human being for no other reason than to enjoy their suffering.

But, I respect those who are creative, persistent and skilled in persuing an in-game goal. It is an explict goal of the game to maximise the power of one's own realm at the expense of the others. Both grey killing and xp killing do this, xp killing rather more effectively.

After getting ganked many times in the frontier by untouchable demigods in the days when Midgard ruled the server, I read the debates on the boards and came to the conclusion that these people were not griefers, just gamers trying to win the game.

So, I don't particularly go out of my way to xp kill, but the fact that someone I'm attacking happens to have pulled a mob doesn't stop me from following through my attack. I would never deliberately set up an xp death, but that's just my personal sense of fair play, it has nothing at all to do with what other people should or shouldn't do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom