This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XDA-II news0r

Discussion in 'Techie Discussion' started by Xavier, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Xavier

Xavier Can't get enough of FH

I'm not sure if anyone else has one of these yet, but I just spotted that the nice chaps over at XDA-Developers have created a tool to show the simlock code, which is rather handy seeing as O2 seem to be breaking OfTel regulations and refusing customers their unlock codes through official channels :)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/viewtopic.php?t=4596

*goes off to break his smartphone...*

2. Xavier

Phew, after much tinkering I've 'tested' the tool (purely in the interest of journalism you'll understand ;) ) and.... it work0r!

\o/

Now all I need to do is get rid of all that fugly O2 branding :)

3. Gavin

Gavin Guest

When I switched network, O2 kindly provided the code to unlock my XDA, took 3 days to get, but they were very nice about it.

G

4. Xavier

Yeah, they've been pretty good with XDA-I owners, but most people who've called O2 asking for the sim-unlock for their XDA-II's, even after offering to pay the years contract in full up-front have been refused the codes to which they're legally entitled. OfTel are in the middle of investigating the matter too I gather - O2's staff seem to believe that they have exclusive right to the XDA-II (even though the same device is sold under three different names with other companies) and thus seem reluctant to release it.

By the way, if you've got an XDA-I check out XDA Developers main site, they've got a bunch of custom firmwares which add functionality and bugfixes which O2 have never bothered to address.

Xav