XBOX LIve & Wireless

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Moriath is right actually. If it works via a wired connection, it should work via wireless without any port forwarding. It sounds as though despite its claims it's not connecting via wireless properly. I'd try reconfiguring your wireless network - new SSID, channel (nothing over 11!) and password.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Here's a thought. My PS3 wireless setup wouldn't work to begin with because I needed to do system updates to support WEP or whatever it is... have you used your wired connection to make sure the xbox software has all updates necessary?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Did you use the XBOX guide like I told you?

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Tried it and on closer looking its NOT connecting.

Ill try what you say Nath. The wireless thingy I plug into the back of my XBOX has a light on it. Looking at the XBOX guide its red and therefore fubar. But it wasnt Fubar a few weeks back. Surly if it was Fubar too, it wouldnt pick up any networks when I scan for it.

Fucking wank tbh

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Ive just thought. Could there be a confilct with the Windows Firewell and the one on the router?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
no, your xbox does not communicate with your pc in any way whatsoever to connect to the net.

Use the xbox guide, if you are getting an error light then look that up and phone MS support if it's a hardware problem.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Can we just be clear. Have you pluged it in and turned it on? :p

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
you are using the expensive xbox wireless network adaptor thing ?

if your pc is near the xbox (and you use wireless on your pc) then use ICS, piece of piss...... then sell the expensive dongle thing on ebay OR buy a "fuck off long" (TM) rj45 cable

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
:twak:

Ill turn my router firewall off and see what happens.

nothing? Because as people have already said you can connect via a wired connections, so your router is not the problem.

You really aren't making it easy to help you Darth, you seem to want to ignore the problem. If MS say that a red light on the wireless adaptor means it is broken, then phone them.

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
nothing? Because as people have already said you can connect via a wired connections, so your router is not the problem.

You really aren't making it easy to help you Darth, you seem to want to ignore the problem. If MS say that a red light on the wireless adaptor means it is broken, then phone them.

Sorry, its a flashing red light that means its broken. Mine is a SOLID red light which means its ready to connect to a wireless network.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
My £5 is on he's typing in his wireless code wrong.

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
My £5 is on he's typing in his wireless code wrong.

I do know how to spell my mothers name :twak:

Ill try a new SSID, new channel and easier WPS when I get home

All of this just to get 0wned on FIFA and MW2 :lol:

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Try turning off wireless security at your router so you have no passwords or encryption and go from there .. if that connects you know its something in the entry of the security systems / passwords thats screwing it.

My bet is that its something to do with the security on your wireless and the details your putting in the xbox ... ;)

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Try turning off wireless security at your router so you have no passwords or encryption and go from there .. if that connects you know its something in the entry of the security systems / passwords thats screwing it.

My bet is that its something to do with the security on your wireless and the details your putting in the xbox ... ;)

Tried that and still doesnt connect. I havent turned off the firewall on the router though.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
the flashing or solid red should only show the conenction to the router not through to the ms network so dont think thats a problem .. maybe its behind a tv and all the signals are interfereing with the wireless signal ?

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
the flashing or solid red should only show the conenction to the router not through to the ms network so dont think thats a problem .. maybe its behind a tv and all the signals are interfereing with the wireless signal ?

The signal strength is high though and I can find it straight away.

Fucked if I know heap of wank

nath

Fledgling Freddie
you are using the expensive xbox wireless network adaptor thing ?

if your pc is near the xbox (and you use wireless on your pc) then use ICS, piece of piss...... then sell the expensive dongle thing on ebay OR buy a "fuck off long" (TM) rj45 cable

Network bridge > ICS!

The signal strength is high though and I can find it straight away.

Fucked if I know heap of wank

What wireless channel are you using? Have you tried changing it about?

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Network bridge > ICS!

What wireless channel are you using? Have you tried changing it about?

Yes, changed the SSID and the channel, gone from channel 01 to channel 08, still no change :(

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
One thing I have noticed I have several types of WPA

WPA-PSK is what I am using, does this make any difference?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
maybe .. try another one

tho if yiou tried with it turned off it prob not that

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Followed this and it worked yay

After dredging through endless amounts of information about this problem, I discovered Malkeor's comments and just to save anyone else from the same fate, he's absolutely right so many thanks to him.

For those who are maybe a bit less expert than normal on all things router, it's not actually that difficult to set up.

You must download firmware 1.6.01.34 for the DG834G v5(Answer)

Then retrieve your xbox MAC address (WSU Knowledgebase - How do I find the MAC address of my Xbox 360?)

Access your router admin panel. Look for Lan IP in the left hand navigation and select. You can then reserve an IP from the range available for your xbox MAC address.

On your Xbox go to your network settings and make sure you entered all your basic info correctly (SSID, WEP or WPA etc.) Let the xbox automatically find the rest of the settings and it will connect. At least it worked for me.

Once again, so grateful to Malkeor as otherwise I'd still be stuck.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
So basically get the DCHP server to assign it a static IP...

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
If you need to, in the netgear setup page, click on 'LAN IP Setup' on the left and you should have the option to add/edit/delete an 'address reservation' - this is where you can assign a dedicated IP address to a device...

*cough*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom