WoW acc creation

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Draylor said:
If you want to make comparisons with daoc - remember the problems with the account/cd key registration pages when SI launched.

Took GOA a week or more to get things sorted out ;)

well i cant complain. i got my SI activated 10 minutes after i got home... ;)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
a thought tho.. i wonder what all those D2 hardcore type kids are saying now :) all those 14 year old kids that want everything to happend last year... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Draylor said:
If you want to make comparisons with daoc - remember the problems with the account/cd key registration pages when SI launched.

Took GOA a week or more to get things sorted out ;)

That was down to alot of CDKeys not working(iirc)? Probably down to one newb who used the wrong encryption algorithm :D

Though I'm not saying GOA's launch was good(spreading it over two weeks was silly), they did take it in stages. Blizzard seem to have jumped in without a plan.

Though this will work as a publicity stunt, every journal will report the huge success of WoW's launch, which brought down the servers :p

Cenuij

Regular Freddie
My bro had been tryin to activate his account since 11pm last night. he figured since the game servers and all were running on CET it might work but he had to wait till midnight.

Bastard got straight in at about 12:01 but still had to start again a few times with session time out errors...

Ulcer

Fledgling Freddie
"Blizzard are proud to announce that the portal is open"

But you cant play cos we're a bunch of muppets who cant sort out our account pages.

Take a sneaky dash out of the office to get the game, come home and cant play - Jeez will any company ever get it right?

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
[WTB] A personal item of a Blizzard employee, so I can start working on this voodoo doll :x

How long can it take to reboot a webserver?

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Escape said:
[WTB] A personal item of a Blizzard employee, so I can start working on this voodoo doll :x

How long can it take to reboot a webserver?

puttint 2+2 together it looks like they were experiencing errors with some of the account creations, with accounts being set up, not going through to their account database but flagging up the cd keys as in use. I suspect they are hacking the database now to try and fix this problem before coming back online.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Would be interesting to see their server hardware/software specs. If they did like Mythic did and dropped Oracle because of per processor costs and changed to sql or mysql which really can't cope with high levels of similtaneuos access......

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Two months on from the cock-up of the USA launch and they've managed to do it again. Not impressive. Will sit here reading a book & listening to Win amp - pressing refresh until it works

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
yaruar said:
Would be interesting to see their server hardware/software specs. If they did like Mythic did and dropped Oracle because of per processor costs and changed to sql or mysql which really can't cope with high levels of similtaneuos access......
Might be the webserver itself that's dying rather than the backend database.

Ulcer

Fledgling Freddie
The european forums have a post mentioning that a GM has said the account pages will probably be up sometime this weekend. Doesnt bode well. It amazes me anew every time this sort of thing happens. If there is something to cock up these MMORPG companies do it. Unbelievable really.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Danya said:
Might be the webserver itself that's dying rather than the backend database.

unlikely as the problems reported are to do with accounts being created and cd keys being flagged as used when the account isn't available. Strikes me as a write error on certain fields of the database, might be the webserver i guess if they are sending separate packets of information to the db server, but more likely a backend problem.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
yaruar said:
unlikely as the problems reported are to do with accounts being created and cd keys being flagged as used when the account isn't available. Strikes me as a write error on certain fields of the database, might be the webserver i guess if they are sending separate packets of information to the db server, but more likely a backend problem.
Oh, I assumed it was like the problems last night where the entire signup process was dead.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Danya said:
Oh, I assumed it was like the problems last night where the entire signup process was dead.

If it is then they really have shot themselves in the foot with simply taking the servers down as they will just end up with the same problems again. Although there really isn't much that can be done about this, no system is capable of dealing with 100k simultaneous requests (well some clustering technologies might....)

CstasY

Fledgling Freddie
I was annoyed at not being able to access the account creation page, so I filled the "Account Name" and "Account Password" boxes with random letters along the lines of - hshekndjkshkdoisnhkjsjdhnskos etc, and to my suprise it said: Authenticated, Downloading Update. oO

Khale

Fledgling Freddie
That even some links and pages and even pictures linked straight to the US site made me wonder if it was just a simple copy + paste operation... If you look at it you really think what have they done to prepare? (servers is the only thing I can come up with... and the "working" signup).

Ah well back to reading some other websites meanwhile... Nothing to do about it anyway...

Turamber

Part of the furniture
CstasY said:
I was annoyed at not being able to access the account creation page, so I filled the "Account Name" and "Account Password" boxes with random letters along the lines of - hshekndjkshkdoisnhkjsjdhnskos etc, and to my suprise it said: Authenticated, Downloading Update. oO

Yes, and when you have downloaded the update you log back in - enter the user name & password (if you remember them that is!) and it tells you there is a problem with that account name and password.

It's a useful tip to get ahead of the game for later-on, because the patch tool is simply horrific, but it will not get you into the game of itself.

I find out the same thing by trying my closed beta account name and password. Had exactly the same results.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Khale said:
That even some links and pages and even pictures linked straight to the US site made me wonder if it was just a simple copy + paste operation... If you look at it you really think what have they done to prepare? (servers is the only thing I can come up with... and the "working" signup).

Check out the VN boards. Somebody is claiming that the credit card authorisation coding is copied and pasted from the US web-site. If this is the case then we really do have another GOA on our hands.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Account Creation Pages Down
11/02/2005
We are aware that some players are facing problems when creating their accounts, especially with regards to the process of payment validation. Due to the heavy load on the system, we are therefore forced to take those pages down temporarily. While the pages are down, those players who have already created an account can continue playing the game. We are investigating the situation and will come back to you with more information as soon as we have it.

guess we wont be WoW'ing tonight :p

Jumbly

Fledgling Freddie
Don't forget the first thing you will have to do is update to patch 1.2.3 when you get in --- might be an idea to download that from Fileplanet while you are waiting (about 40M). It would be kind of sad if they get round to fixing the authentication servers and the patch server falls over.

Khale

Fledgling Freddie
Maybe nice to know... Open Beta login still worked... I updated mine already and gonna keep uploading till I can play...

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Jumbly said:
Don't forget the first thing you will have to do is update to patch 1.2.3 when you get in --- might be an idea to download that from Fileplanet while you are waiting (about 40M). It would be kind of sad if they get round to fixing the authentication servers and the patch server falls over.

good point.. :p il do that at once :D

/edit: and now im happy i pay for fileplanet.. :D no waiting to get it downloaded :p

Ulcer

Fledgling Freddie
Yes thx Jumbly - just done it - so now all we need is an account :)

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
the other thing i love about this is that the officual forums are linked to live accounts so there are 200k+ people unable to get in and they are silenced on the official forums ;)

that and the fact that it's a friday night and a lot of people could be going out and doing other things if only blizzard would tell them a rough timescale for the creation pages coming up even if it's a message saying "not till sunday"

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
yaruar said:
the other thing i love about this is that the officual forums are linked to live accounts so there are 200k+ people unable to get in and they are silenced on the official forums ;)

im not sure i wanted it the other way around :) 200k+ whines at the same time will prolly kill the forum server to!

yaruar said:
that and the fact that it's a friday night and a lot of people could be going out and doing other things if only blizzard would tell them a rough timescale for the creation pages coming up even if it's a message saying "not till sunday"

and WHAT would u guess will happend if they DID give a rough estimation and they totally missed it? were talking mostly 14-18 year old WC3 fanbois here. :) it would be worse then the whinefest that is DAoC boards :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom