World Poverty

O

old.Dillinja

Originally posted by xane

Get a clue.

People are still having deformed babies today in some countries as a result of radiation poisoning. Also, what makes you think that it's just human lives in Africa that would be taken in the event of a meltdown? It would turn the whole surrounding area of the power plant for miles around into un-inhabitable desert.
Ultimately, putting the African people into a worse position than the one which they was in before, not being able to grow crops etc. And even first world countries are worried about having nuclear power plants on their soil, what makes you think they're going to babysit nuclear powerplants in Africa?

E

eQ-Tyr

No doubt the west would get the blame for whatever went wrong.

We pull out of the area altogether, we get blamed. That's what happened in Ireland.

We go in and forcible remove various governments. We get accused of colony making. See iraq for more details. Or worse, of course - diluting culture!

We punch money in left right and centre. No doubt the west will get blamed when someone somewhere asks for something back.

There's no good answers, aside the classic: Nuke 'em from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Flame me bitches!

X

xane

Originally posted by old.Dillinja
People are still having deformed babies today in some countries as a result of radiation poisoning.

Really ? Why don't you read up about it ...
http://www.nea.fr/html/rp/chernobyl/welcome.html

The above report quotes a marked increase in thyroid cancer in the region, but only an increase of 0.01% above natural rates in Europe as a whole, there has been no increase in childhood leukemia, and no study has established a link between the accident and birth abnormalities.

The biggest impact has been "stress", something the average starving African knows about when they're looking for the next meal for their family.

Yeah, don't tell me it's all probably a cover up :rolleyes:

Also, what makes you think that it's just human lives in Africa that would be taken in the event of a meltdown? It would turn the whole surrounding area of the power plant for miles around into un-inhabitable desert. [/B]

Chernobyl hasn't become a desert, the ecosystem is virtually returned to normal. Why not put the nuclear plant in the desert in the first place then :)

Ultimately, putting the African people into a worse position than the one which they was in before, not being able to grow crops etc. And even first world countries are worried about having nuclear power plants on their soil, what makes you think they're going to babysit nuclear powerplants in Africa? [/B]

"Worse position" ? What about the tens of thousands who die every day from basic avoidable illnesses ? I doubt even the biggest nuclear disaster would ever match that.

And first world companies would be all too eager to open contracts with African governments to run their power stations, noteably that it would give them the "Kyoto credits".

E

eQ-Tyr

It said in The Sun that there were no casualties of chernobyl.

P

PR.

Originally posted by eQ-Tyr
It said in The Sun that there were no casualties of chernobyl.

Really?

Well the 4 Operators in the reactor room during the explosion would probably argue with that, as would the Army personnel who sacrificed themselves to seal the reactor.

I had some morbid fascination with the accident as I remember it from when I was a kid :)

About 15,000 people were killed and 50,000 left handicapped in the emergency clean-up after the Chernobyl nuclear accident, according to a group representing those who worked in the relief operations.

Source: BBC News April 2000

N

nath

On the whole I agree with you xane, but then..

Originally posted by xane
Yeah, don't tell me it's all probably a cover up :rolleyes:

Yeah, because they never happen! Governments and big mulitnational corporations are all about the morals aren't they? :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom