Woo Hoo Planetside just landed on my Desk

P

[PS]Venom

Originally posted by old.Kram
Well ... how is it, well lets say, acording to Counter-Strike, or any other 'normal' FPS. - I mean, the aiming part etc.

I'm what many hate :p a CS player (I my self hate the community, but I like the game.)

If you shoot people in the head? do they die? are there any hit boxes? and how are they?

Pretty similar, I think - at the moment there is only one hit box, which is the entire avatar but I think they may be looking at this. If you crouch your accuracy goes up a helluva lot.

Accuracy is noted by a Splinter-Cell style line system - the closer the lines to your reticule the smaller the cone of fire.

P

[PS]Venom

Originally posted by uncle_sal
How about PIII with Geforce 2 MX 32... 256 memory... propably a no way :(

And out of money to upgrade it...

I'd say probably not :( :(

Also, Lockdown isn't digging in the terran MAX - at least not just - it's also capturing all bases on a continent so no enemies can come through the warpgate, only through the HART.

HART = High Altitude Re-entry Transport - an big ass mofo dropship that acts like a realm teleporter in daoc.

P

[PS]Nova

Now, I am in no way a FPS player, I am hilariously crap at things like Unreal and stuff like that, but I still love this game. There are support roles you can play, the only problem is the new Exp system has been a bit unfair to support roles. For those of you who want facts and figures, the exp system works as follows at the moment.

For kills, if you are solo you get 100% exp (of course).
In a squad, they add 20% then divide it equally between squad members. For example, suppose for killing a heavy grunt you would normally get 100 exp. In a 10 man squad, you would then get (100*20%)=120/10 = 12 exp. They are therefore expecting large squads to kill more to make up for this exp loss. Do not be surprised if you hear people bitching their heads off about this tho, in beta you got all the exp for every kill to every member of the squad, and they didn't inform the beta players they were planning to change this. HOWEVER, the devs have said they are looking into this since the official forums got zerged by complaints ;)

For base caps, it's done with time slices, and enemies in the area. If you hack a deserted base, with no defenders, expect to get about 15 exp.. however, if you manage to hack and take a defended base, you can theoretically get up to 2000+ exp. And, you also get exp if you are in a squad that is fighting on the base (or you did at beta, no ideas now) and even if you are not in the base at cap you will get some exp if you were there at some time, depending on the time slices and enemies. No ideas on specific formulae on this one, the only reason I have the one for kills is that one of the devs posted it on the official forums.

Anyhow.. it's still going to be fun in my eyes, sure it's nice to scream up the battle ranks, but often I have gone into battles where I know I won't get much exp, just for the fun of it ;)

(oh and lockdown means to lock down a continent by capturing all the bases there and preventing enemies from coming through the warpgates with vehicles, although you can lock down a terran MAX too, confusing, isn't it? :) )

P

[PS]Venom

Stupidly enough I didn't screenshot the massive battles, crazy, I know. Really should have.

Play Emerald at US primetime and you'll soon see what I mean. I'm hoping the EU server will get a fair bit of interest.

P

[PS]Nova

Originally posted by old.Kram
givf ss' of big battles :eek:

OK there's a number of places you can go.

http://www.headcrab.com is a great one for a "day in the life of" scenario with screenshots. [EDIT: or it would be if it hadn't "exceeded monthly traffic quota" and is therefore inaccessible, but I'll keep the link up here so people can look in the future if they want to]

Also, go to http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/planetside/Forum4/HTML/000452.html for screenshots of the last big raid of beta - the first screenshot is not of a battle, but read the chat logs for signs of a dev online and being amusing ;) [EDIT: Sorry if the link doesn't work, we're not sure whether you have to be logged into the forums to be able to view it or something weird!]

Some of the battles on the above page are immense and bigger than I've ever seen btw ;)

G

g0ldenbone

I think ill buy me a copy tomorrow.. looks too good to miss really.

I'll likely be Goldenbone.. look me up

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Originally posted by [PS]Venom

Sick, you decided on empire yet? :)

I am still checking into the background/facts but weaponwise?
Terrans. Me wuvs miniguns. :D

Edit: Hrm... will take about two weeks to get the game. Just called EB and a couple of other stores. Nyargh... well, gives me time to get my Chanter to 50. :(

M

Madonion Slicer

Just read the manual at lunchtime, mucho respect to this game cant wait til tonight, [PS]Venom will be up for making a Clan will be joining the VS on the EU Server for sure.

Called Otrotord, hopefully, going to go for the sniper, hacker role.

M

Madonion Slicer

One thing i forgot to ask is there a drop system, how does Ammo work.. unlimited?? cash for weapons and armour?

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

If the name of the squad has no ASCII in it or is retarded otherwise you can count me in, too - if I ever get the game. :p

P

[PS]Venom

Originally posted by Madonion Slicer
One thing i forgot to ask is there a drop system, how does Ammo work.. unlimited?? cash for weapons and armour?

You buy ammo from terminals... but you don't pay anything for it. When you kill someone they drop their inventory.

You take everything you can carry basically :D

The squad name won't have any wierd stuff in it, don't like non serious names :D

O

old.ivan

Yep what he said and only yo say that the ammo does not stack and the equipment you carry depends on the suit <as protective suits determine how many holsters you get and how much backpack space>

M

Madonion Slicer

Oh and when you spec in a vehicles as i will do to get me around, can they be blown up and if so do i lose it for ever and have to buy another, can i park them and leave them? can it be nicked? hence can i nick someone elses? do they respawn if destroyed??

P

[PS]Nova

Originally posted by old.ivan
Yep what he said and only yo say that the ammo does not stack and the equipment you carry depends on the suit <as protective suits determine how many holsters you get and how much backpack space>

However, there's an inventory favourite system, so if you have a set of armour with large inventory space you don't have to buy 6 lots of ammo plus the guns every time, you just 'buy' your inventory favourite and it's all done for you.. most useful.. you can have I think 10 favourites saved at any one point.

P

[PS]Nova

Oh and when you spec in a vehicles as i will do to get me around, can they be blown up and if so do i lose it for ever and have to buy another, can i park them and leave them? can it be nicked? hence can i nick someone elses? do they respawn if destroyed??

Yes, they can be blown up and they are then lost forever and you will have to buy another one - there's a (I think) 4 minute timer on buying them too which can be rather annoying if you buy a plane, take off and get shot down all in 20 seconds like me ;)

You can park them and leave them yes, and you have certain settings on it, so that access to the vehicle is either set to Locked (no-one can access it), Squad (only members of your squad can access it) and Empire (everyone in your empire can access it). Also you can hack enemy vehicles (think you have to have the Hacking cert tho) and nick them, but conversely your vehicles can be hacked.

Oh and the trunk has Locked etc access on it too, that's where you store all the ammo for the vehicle :) Oh and the vehicle comes fully stocked with ammo, you don't have to get the vehicle, get to an equipment terminal, buy the ammo, stock the vehicle etc. ;) it's nice and easy, all stocked, unless (eg Reaver heavy gun ship) you prefer to use one type of ammo over another (reaver has rockets and chaingun thing) then you might want to rearrange, but you don't have to. ;)

They do not respawn, you have to get to a vehicle terminal (in all bases, only thing that is limited is the galaxy dropships because they are too large to fit on a normal pad so they are only available at sanctuary and at Dropship Centers).

P

[PS]Nova

cash for weapons and armour?

Everything's free :)

Only thing that limits you is your certs, and also there's a timer on vehicles and MAX armoured suits. For vehicles as far as I know it's 4 mins, counting from when you purchase it, and for MAXs I think someone's said 5 mins, but I haven't played it enough to know.

M

Madonion Slicer

So determine on you "level", "Spec" determines the Guns and Vehicles you get, or do all Snipers have the same rifle and all heavy tanks have the same machine guns?

P

[PS]Venom

So determine on you "level", "Spec" determines the Guns and Vehicles you get, or do all Snipers have the same rifle and all heavy tanks have the same machine guns?

Not exactly.

Snipers all have the same sniper rifle, but all the tanks are different. Vanu tank uses Plasma shots for its main weapon, with one or two smaller blasters where as the NC Vanguard uses a big fuckoff 150mm cannon and 20mm chaingun doobers. I think.

Each Empire has a specific Handgun, (Usable by all) specific Assault Rifle (Usable by medium assault), specific Heavy Assault weapon, specific special assault, ect.

There are also a lot of "Common pool" weapons that each empire gets in the speclines.

M

Madonion Slicer

Ah so as a Sniper, i would have my Specfic to Snipers weapon, a generic hand gun and then maybe a assault rifle because i spec in medium assault.

Problem with other FPS like RCTW and BF1942 if you choose the roll as sniper you rifle was good but in close range you got a shit hand gun which was of no use, so if you can carry your sniper rifle and atleast a half decent assault weapon i will be happy.

All i can say to the enemy is dont stand still for a moment..

P

[PS]Venom

Yeah you have to take medium assault. This give you access to a common pool pistol, common pool standard assault rifle, and energy pistol as standard, and in medium assault you get access to a common combat shotgun, common Punisher assault rifle with underslung grenade launcher, and the Energy assault rifle which is vanu specific. You then get your bolt driver sniper rifle. :)

P

[PS]Venom

WOOT!

Just found out you can create an Outfit no matter how many people are in your squad, just made it with my wife :)

We are now members of the Sovereign Guard!

So that's what anyone interested needs to join :)

I believe you can list outfits ect but not sure how :p

There are tiered rank names like strategic officer ect.

Just off to update me siggy :)

Also, we were about the 8th to be formed in VS :)

P

[PS]Nova

Yeah you have to take medium assault. This give you access to a common pool pistol, common pool standard assault rifle, and energy pistol as standard, and in medium assault you get access to a common combat shotgun, common Punisher assault rifle with underslung grenade launcher, and the Energy assault rifle which is vanu specific. You then get your bolt driver sniper rifle. :)

And with the armour you can get without certing in it, you can have in holsters at any one time 2 pistol size weapons and 1 rifle style weapon.. you can also carry more weaponry in your backpack (which is limited in size) which you can switch into these slots manually.

If that made sense ;)

P

[PS]Nova

We are now members of the Sovereign Guard!

Yes, come and join the Sovereign Guard all you Vanu out there. We need some good people to remind the TR and NC goons why evolution and change is the only way to go!

B

BrassMonkey

I'll join sovereign guard! :) Be nice to play with a couple of peeps i kinda knew from daoc

P

[PS]Nova

Originally posted by -Warhawk-
I'll join sovereign guard! :) Be nice to play with a couple of peeps i kinda knew from daoc

Great!

So who have we so far?

Madonion
Warhawk
Xarr (is playing vanu but not sure if wanted to join)
Deygos (as above)
UncleSick (said he'd join but hadn't decided what empire so may not be able to)

Anyone else? I've probably forgotten a load of people who've said yes. How about.. post here if you want to join, and maybe when you think you could get online or something?

If you come online tomorrow, try messaging either Angel, Paladine, Nova or Purgatory (those are my chars). It's /tell <name> but it WAS case sensitive in beta, just as a warning ;)

I'll probably be on as Nova I think.. not sure tho :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom