Woo Hoo Planetside just landed on my Desk

M

Madonion Slicer

Excellent service from Game, planetside just came in with the post this morning was not expecting it til tomorrow.

Is there certain Side or Server i can expect to see DAOC players heading? Would be fun to team up with of you.

Not played the beta so this will be all new to me, wont take me away from DAoC though.

Will be called Otrotord what ever side and server i play, so keep an eye out.

P

[PS]Venom

Well I'm going Vanu on the single EU server :p

Quick jargon buster -
MAX- Walking battlesuit, tends to blow shit up. Very resistant to small arms fire, but a bit of a sitting duck for heavy weaponry
BR - Battle Rank, or level
CR - Command Rank, this allows you access to empire wide chat is high enough, setting of waypoints. You get this for leading a squad :)
Cap - Capture a base
CTD - Crash to desktop (Wierd but that confused me for ages)
Gal - Galaxy, the large troop carrier

As for starting side it depends what you want. Here's a mini rundown...

Vanu - High technology people. They have hovertanks, (Which are a twat to drive) plasma weaponry that's capable of firing AP and normal rounds, viscious heavy weaponry, and okish MAXes. Vanu MAX get jump jets as a special. This is the technology Empire.

Terran - Rediculously overpowered MAXes, scary heavy weaponry (These dudes get to run around with a freakin chaingun for gods sake :p) not so good vehicles (Their buggy and tanks, although loaded with weaponry, require 3 people to use it all) their specific weaponry is very fast firing. The Terran MAX get to anchor themselves (A-la robocop) and increase accuracy and rate of fire. Crazy when used right. This is the Speed Empire.

New Conglemerate - Arguably the best vehicles in the game, the best Heavy Battle Tank (2 man as well!) COMBAT SHOTGUNSSSS!!!, not too sure about the MAXes never got much time to play with them. Good heavy weaponry, camera guided rocket launcher ect. Their MAX get a damage shield as a special. This is the Power Empire.

Any specific questions?

M

Madonion Slicer

Damn you know your stuff, Can i be a sniper like character was always a good sniper in BF1942 and RTCW, or is best to start as a tank.

Spec's

2000 XP
Radeon 9700
512mb PC2100

Hope this will be ok to run with decent graphics, heard it can be a memory hog but i have another 512mb stick on the way.

Are there Guilds? I take there is no xping so how do you lvl? you you earn cash for armour and weapons?

Will read the manual in my lunch break.

Looking forward to playing, as the game is released to tomorrow will the servers be up tonight?

O

osy

is there a bit of Fallout's atmosphere in there ?

D

Damini

My boyfriend has ordered this.

I am *DREADING* it arriving.

It totally utterly steals him for obscene hours on end.

P

[PS]Venom

Well as a sniper you'll probably do ok, but the sniper rifle is a bit unwieldy - you have to center it for a good 1/2 seconds to get an accurate shot off, making it awkward hitting moving targets, but there may be some trick to it. The easiest thing to start off is play a MAX or a Reaver pilot - If you can get the feel of flying the planes. I love it :D

Your specs are fine, my PC is an XP2.2, GF4Ti4200, and 512Mb PC4000 ram, and it runs in 1024x768 on max detail with very very little slowdown. It DOES hog mem, and you will notice it take ages unloading when you quit but it plays fine for extended periods of time.

There are guilds, called outfits, something I forgot to mention. Outfits are identical to guilds, allowing co-ordinated strikes at the enemy.

The servers are supposedly coming up on the weekend sometime, but some people have said they're already up. I couldn't tell you to be honest, I'm not going to have chance to play it today which is a bit of a bum.

XP is gained through killing people - but NOT MUCH unless you're solo, they hit XP severly with a nerf bat, at the moment grouping divides the XP up so you get very little. Your main XP income is from capping bases - you get a nice XP chunk reward, depending on how difficult it was for you to cap the base.

Osy it absolutely feels nothing at all whatsoever like fallout... wish it did :p

Damini, just get another PC and play it with him :) That's what my wife does :p

M

Madonion Slicer

Still want to play DAoC, hoping PS will be one of those games that i can get into when i had enough of RVR and XPing.

Is it easy to get into the action, form groups or like DAOC is there lots of waiting around, yelling lfg so on and so forth.

Is the lvling grind greater or lesser than DAoC? can a newbie take down any other player with a little luck and skill.

Eg, i shoot a player hit for 1 damage he turns shots hits me for 500 damage, that sort of thing.

P

[PS]Venom

It's much easier on the lesser experienced players than say DAOC is. Even as a starting character you can take down higher BR players. Of course they have certain amounts of fluff, and more skills than a lower br player, but you can still make a difference. BR doesn't make a difference to dealt/recieved damage at all, unless you've got something like the implant that allows you to stay up when you get killed, but that's a one shot as far as I know.

Finding a squad is luck. Sometimes you can be sat yelling for ages, other times you get invited as you're gathering your equipment. You can always go to a hotspot of action and probably get a squad there if you get fed up or can't be arsed.

M

Madonion Slicer

Excellent news on the xp and fighting.

I guessing if you cant find a squad you can just head out solo and follow a squad or zerg as it maybe.

Damn i am looking forward to this now.

P

[PS]Venom

Yea, you can tag along on the zerg if you want. Some people will even let you in the troop carriers if you're squadless :)

Just wait until you take part in an immense battle, there's nothing like being in the Galaxy troop carier, flying to a hotdrop, seeing the gunfire down below, explosions, then being dropped into the thick of an enemy compound thrown straight into the action.

I still remember one of the best days in the beta. At that point I had no reaver flying skill, so I was reduced to being a MAX foot troop.

This was in primetime US, so the server was full and we were at one of the big battles.

We'd just managed to take a facility after fighting over it for about an hour, and we were just digging in to defend when we started getting attacked by a sea of troops. We were fighting the terrans at the time.

We went on the offensive, pushing them back to the tower they were coming from - it was like the beach scene from medal of honour. We were running forward, as fire was smacking down around, and you could hear the blast of our heavy tanks and reavers assaulting the tower - there must have been about 100 of us trying to zerg this goddamn tower to get rid of them.

As we had managed to get reasonably close, the tower started taking heavy weapons fire from the OTHER side, and I moved around to see an immense armoured convy of New Conglomerate tanks all pounding the tower, and foot troops running in - a force about our size!

Needless to say it turned into complete mayhem with an immense 3 way melee going on. Amazing. Never EVER had that feel in a game.

M

Madonion Slicer

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Stop it Heinrich it is not fair i am stuck at work with the game sitting on my desk, and you making me want to quit.

Must go home, feeling sickness coming over me.

/em strokes game box

P

[PS]Venom

LOL how the fook do you think I feel? I know GAME will have it in, I'm going to go pick it up today, then I have to go shopping with my mother and my wife, come home, and then we're busy most of the damn evening :D

Sometimes it can get irritating but jesus the first time you get into a big, pitched battle you'll love it :D

U

uncle_sal

Sounds so cool and my comp cant handle... lifes unfair :(

O

old.Tohtori

Planetside sounds like a barrels of lauhging fish but..alas...i am somwhat a elite/privateer/WC addict and EVE might give me more in the area of visual/cerebral entertainment.

Good luck and fun for all PS players but Teh Seel is going Spawards Ho!...damn..Spacewards Ho! was excellent...hiih...

P

[PS]Venom

Originally posted by uncle_sal
Sounds so cool and my comp cant handle... lifes unfair :(

Depends what spec it is. A Duron 1200 with a GF2 can handle it EASILY. You just have to tone the detail down a little though. (I.E. RIGHT down ;))

Haha fear my conversion skills! :D

Planetside is very good... but hardly cerebral unless you're a squad commander with a good squad.

It's kinda like playing Starship Troopers - but with people instead of bugs :D

U

uncle_sal

How about PIII with Geforce 2 MX 32... 256 memory... propably a no way :(

And out of money to upgrade it...

O

old.ivan

Some corrections re XP, yes you do indeed get less for a kill in group <it seems so anyhow> but while in a squad you somehow get at least 100+ xp per tower capture or when your squad member is killed ! I found this very amusing. So saying that solo pays off.. well i think you will be better off in a squad.

And some more terminology :

Sund -> APC with 2 small calibre cannons
Hot drop -> press Alt+G over Outpost/Tower rooftops to paradrop into action.
CC -> control console <marked on map with crossed over flags>
Gen -> Energy Generator <marked with a lightning impression>
Tubes -> troop respawn

Some tips :
Dont go alone
You are not playing a single player game and friendly fire is very unrewarding here
Always keep your clip full
Try to not fight in open ground
Do not fight a tank, if you dont have the means <AV skill>
Snipers need 2 bullets to kill you, so if you are hit once do not stand about waiting for the other shot < you have 3 seconds of their reload time to get out of their CoV >.

F

Faeldawn

More terminology:

Lock-down - Dig in the TR Max (default jump key)
Boomer - Stick activated mine, requires Engie cert
Cert - Certification (allows you to use stuff)
DLV - Darklight Vision (anti-infiltrator implant)
ANT - Advanced Nanite Transport (used to refuel bases)
Squitto - Mosquito scout craft
AMS - Mobile respawn and rearming vehicle

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Alrighty... I just called my local software dealer - there is a US and an English version the man says (and charges 69.- screaming Euros for the US one... pfft).

In other words: seperated US/European community like in DAoC?
If yes - which one to choose?

P

[PS]Venom

Matter absolutely not.

You can access all servers from all copies.

I'm using an EU copy of the game with the BETA client :D

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Originally posted by *Hienrich*
Matter absolutely not.

You can access all servers from all copies.

Don't you love it when shops try to bullshit you?
US Version: 69.- Euros
UK Version: 49.- Euros

*goes to order Planetside*

P

[PS]Venom

Hehe yeah I know.

I'm playing primarily the EU server - which is absolutely freaking deserted at the moment. :p most people won't be on until tomorrow at the earliest.

Means I got ALL the character names I wanted though.

Sick, you decided on empire yet? :)

B

BrassMonkey

Thats it Hienrich you've convinced me, i'm ordering it now from gameplay...are you working for Planetsides advertising department btw?

P

[PS]Venom

ROFL!

<eerie mechanical voice>

Resistance is futile. You will become part of Auraxis, and the Vanu Sovereignty.

If 10 people play VS on EU from here you want to form an outfit up? :)

O

old.Kram

Wow :) nice description Hienrich, you just made me order this game. Anyone know a good place to order @ Scandinavia?

But how's the skill factor in the game? not meaning skills you select, I'm thinking more about aim, wits, smart thinking etc. - how is the recoil on the guns, stuff like that.

P

[PS]Venom

Note the change of alias btw :)

Skill factor is variable. Depends on what you play. I've noticed there is a fair bit of skill in dogfighting - noticed me outflying a lot of people and being outflown as well.

It's an FPS - therefore reactions/aiming count, knowing when to run, when to crouchwalk to increase accuracy.

Smart thinking counts for finding a way into a base. For instance if you're seiging a tower, and you decide to bail out of your reaver, land on top of the tower and throw grenades at people.

O

old.Kram

Well ... how is it, well lets say, acording to Counter-Strike, or any other 'normal' FPS. - I mean, the aiming part etc.

I'm what many hate :p a CS player (I my self hate the community, but I like the game.)

If you shoot people in the head? do they die? are there any hit boxes? and how are they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom