Windows 8.1

soze

I am a FH squatter
You lot who say Word has format errors are high, if you turn off reading view* it will look exactly as formatted. I get 30 or 40 words documents a week that I have to process every week and they comes form loads of different places and none of them have formatting issues??

*reading view is an abortion though it makes everything look horrible.

And flmao at hating PDF Adobe Reader might be bloat ware but this is Windows there are a million and two alternatives like Nitro PDF which are a fraction of the size and work just as well.

And yes installing Windows 7 will let you sleep ect it is a Windows setting you just need to change the behavior in the power settings.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Word docs still aren't as "portable" as PDF's though, if you have to do something in order to see them as intended.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
User error, yet again. Ctrl + L to go full screen, mouse wheel to scroll between pages, Ctrl + mouse wheel to zoom in and out, Space bar + hold LMB to drag the page around when zoomed in. It's as intuitive and easy as it's possible to be.

Erm..

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Short of being psychic, I don't see how the app can make it easier to navigate documents...

Job

It's because the formatting is locked, it doesn't word wrap or resize images to fit the screen and 99% of the time you can't read the txt or see the images without zooming in.
Great for printing out I'm sure, which I suppose was it's primary function, but hopeless on a screen.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It means uniformity across devices and the document looks (and prints) how the author intended it to, both of which are ticks in the "good things to have" column for me.

It would be shit, for want of a better word, if you were reading a technical manual and it kept reflowing the page as you moved about. Imagine trying to read a Haynes manual or something, it would be horrific.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Some notes. I've done a little testing (limited time this weekend due to biffday etc) and I believe that the vast majority of problems are caused by store upgraded operating systems. I've been able to recreate some settings/profile/app problems using store upgraded Windows 8 but the same problems did not occur on an ISO upgraded version. It may be coincidence, it's semi controlled (using a VM with snapshots). It explains why I've yet to see problems as I deal specifically with the Enterprise version which isn't Store upgradable anyway.

Job

PDF has no future, it's primary function is dying away and html is a bazillion times better for displaying content on modern devices.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
blimey, seems oddly overkill. This is why I wonder if something went awry in the upgrade process like a wrong button ticked; I have some massively fucked up and odd apps here with all sorts of wonderful installation methods which carried over fine. I know some AV software went a bit ropey with it - sophos and kaspersky are 2 I know of. Kaspersky needs an update and sophos is just pure wank in a pintglass.
I can't see why he'd need to rebuy hardware to fix an issue, the driver stack is identical so surely a re-acquiring of the related software and the minor inconvenience of re-setting up profiles (and remembering to keep a backup of them!) is all that's required. We have some Spyder kit in our art department, i might have a play sometime next week (as I need to see how nicely 8.1 plays with GPO etc)

cheers dude :) the mate says after the update: his "secureboot" was fucked and windows told this to him: "secureboot not correctly set up" or words to that effect. His AV program was fucked (dunno which one he uses) and this Spyder colour profiling thing was fucked (his is Spyder 2). Other than that I don't know; my experience with windows update messing things up is that sometimes it does but mostly it doesn't.

Embattle

FH is my second home
My Spyder 4 worked fine after upgrade, personally with an upgrade I would disable my AV first.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
It's because the formatting is locked, it doesn't word wrap or resize images to fit the screen and 99% of the time you can't read the txt or see the images without zooming in.
Great for printing out I'm sure, which I suppose was it's primary function, but hopeless on a screen.

What kind of shitty tab are you using for ffs? I've still got a first gen Galaxy tab and I can pinch zoom pdfs.

Job

I can pinch zoom..I just havent.got a reader...seriously I.just hate adobe.

DaGaffer

I can pinch zoom..I just havent.got a reader...seriously I.just hate adobe.

There are literally hundreds of free PDF readers in the Play store (I assume you have an Android device, iOS doesn't have any problem with PDFs), you don't need to use Adobe's own product, so you're just being a bit of a knob.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Don't have any problems with PDFs on my android phone...I presume that would be the case on a tablet.

DaGaffer

Don't have any problems with PDFs on my android phone...I presume that would be the case on a tablet.

Well I wouldn't have thought so; like I say, I have an early Galaxy Tab (three years old nearly) running Android 2.2 and it has no problems handling PDFs; I think I have about three different ways to read them. Which is why I asked what kind of a Tablet he has, because it sounds shite.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
If "user error" = "user ignorance and stubbornness" then yeah, it's user error.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
No, you can't. You can hide it a lot more than in Win 8, but its not "disabled" as such; you can just set things up so there are far fewer reasons to end up there. There's a good explanation for what you need to do here.

Got around to testing it out at the weekend. To all intents and purposes its gone. Your apps will appear in the new style of Start Menu and you can still get back to the Metro-that's-not-allowed-to-be-called-Metro interface if you want (or misclick). They've made getting back to the desktop itself easier. Its still not ideal, but it is better.

Job

Theyve pulled the.RT update for freezing tablets

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom