Windows 8.1

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
They are trying to catch up with Android/Apple tablets and their huge app stores..so they fucked up windows with a goddam awful tablet interface thats unecessary and possibly the worst interace combination in the history of computing..which wouldnt matter if you could walk into pc world and choose another pc os..if you could windows would be in the bargain bin..but your stuck with it..we need to crush their monopoly.
As for the Surface..thats the mother of all fuckups..it makes the latest Blacberry llok like a winner.

Surface RT is shit, Surface Pro is actually rather nice...but too expensive.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Installed it last night (Download) pretty much flawlessly.
Installed it, no problem.
Created profile, no problem.
Logged in... "OMGZ U NEED WINDOWS ACCOUNT BRO" - No problem.
Loaded 'Tiles'. "OMG HERE ARE TEN MILLION HELP TIPS WHICH STOP ANYTHING YOU'RE DOING" - Fuck off, you c*** - Most annoying start to any new version I've ever had.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Had my work laptop replaced with a new one. Came pre loaded with Win8.

Been using it for about a week now, runs perfectly well, not had much trouble adapting to the changes. Only thing that slightly bugs me is that i have to put a MSN account into it, before i put my AD/Exchange account into it.......
You can still do that you can choose not to use a MS account. I have Windows 8 on my Work machine it is on the domain not on the MS account.

They are trying to catch up with Android/Apple tablets and their huge app stores..so they fucked up windows with a goddam awful tablet interface thats unecessary and possibly the worst interace combination in the history of computing..which wouldnt matter if you could walk into pc world and choose another pc os..if you could windows would be in the bargain bin..but your stuck with it..we need to crush their monopoly.
As for the Surface..thats the mother of all fuckups..it makes the latest Blacberry llok like a winner.
See I hate this way of thinking. The Surface is its own Tablet it is not trying to compete with anything. You can do so much more on a Surface than you can on an Android and an iPad combined. The Surface is the first tablet that is truly work compatible. Forget looking for some add supported shit app to run my RDP sessions I will just type MSTSC in my command prompt and be away. And the metro UI works well on a Tablet like it does on a phone. The only weakness is the fact there are not enough Metro optimized applications but that is more than made up for by the fact there are literately millions of Windows applications that run on the desktop.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Windows is so prolific in the real world that it just doesn't make sense to use anything else. Sure Andriod and whatnot is good but if you want to get something done you use MS, windows, office etc. I would have no way of doing what I do without office and the fact that the systems I use are compatible with office.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Undoubtedly..of course I use it myself XP if you dont mind..but it needs competition so bad it hurts..microshite are the mother of all monopolies and people have xctuslly got used to their shit just as much as they have got used to churning it out..if win8 was a theme for win 7 it would get -100 on majorgeeks
As for the Surface..Im sure its actually quite good..but a monumental flop.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
my photo mate had his brand new lappy royally screwed by this update he tells me. settings gone, programs gone, specially configured colour profile for his photowork on the screen gone. he's hella pissed.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Honestly I would never do an upgrade I never have a never will there is too much risk of something like that happening. It is shit but it is why it tells you to take a full backup. I will wait till my machine needs a rebuild and go to 8.1 directly.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Just finally got 8.1 pro downloaded, and went to install. Told me I had a choice of keeping files or nothing. Woah, what about my apps?

Dickhead here is using Enterprise, not pro :( Downloading again :|

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
my photo mate had his brand new lappy royally screwed by this update he tells me. settings gone, programs gone, specially configured colour profile for his photowork on the screen gone. he's hella pissed.

Whilst that's pretty shitty, at least his settings will come back from "the cloud". Any idea why it went wrong?

Embattle

FH is my second home
Most people will find the upgrade goes fine, but there are also some who will have trouble.

Although I will say that my google search is fucked in IE11, whenever it goes to results the layout is now in one small column...very odd.

Kryten

Old Cow.
I wonder how many of the "everything's gone" crowd haven't actually read the requirements or the upgrade process instructions (on screen during process). I've done 4 installs in the last half a day trying to break it in a few different manners and I've yet to make it fuck anything up.

Job

My next upgrade will be XP lite

soze

I am a FH squatter
My next upgrade will be to what ever comes along next giving me better features and faster boot times. But then I can accept change.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I have win 8 booting from an ssd. It's very fast compared to 7, but the metro interface is pure AIDS so I run one of those start menu desktop applications.

TdC

Whilst that's pretty shitty, at least his settings will come back from "the cloud". Any idea why it went wrong?

no, but I will ask him (and tell him about your cloud remark).

I wonder how many of the "everything's gone" crowd haven't actually read the requirements or the upgrade process instructions (on screen during process). I've done 4 installs in the last half a day trying to break it in a few different manners and I've yet to make it fuck anything up.

tbh this guy I refer to, while not particularly computer literate, is not really of the "it never said I had to reboot" crowd. iirc most specifically he's lost his special colour space profiles and his virus scanner (but I'll ask).

TdC

he says "I fixed it by turning it in at the shop I bought it and THEY fixed it; they did something in the BIOS".

re his screen calibration software; he has a Spyder 2 which it seems is as old as the hills. That software and settings has vanished, and he claims he's solved the problem by buying a new Spyder of the current generation (lol).

mmmkay so he has no idea what they did to make things work again. Still, his screen calibration remains gone, because buying something new to fix an issue doesn't register as a fix in my book tbh.

Job

The wifes friend set over a list for the xmas party, so I opened it up on the tablet for a quick look, she had written it in PDF and it wouldn't open and I couldn't get the online viewer to work either..I lost my rag and sent her a scathing message about using fucking PDF, she probably thinks I'm mad.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
She probably thinks you're a twat to be fair.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Honestly Job, for this thread at the very least, I want there to be an option to auto-facepalm your posts as soon as you hit "post reply". You seem to be in a competition with yourself to see which one of your posts makes you look more like an ignorant dick.

Job

Really though..who uses goddam pdf to write a xmas list.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Really though..who uses goddam pdf to write a xmas list.

Why wouldn't you? Especially if there's any particular formatting. Doc files have a nasty habit of doing weird shit from one machine to another.

Kryten

Old Cow.
he says "I fixed it by turning it in at the shop I bought it and THEY fixed it; they did something in the BIOS".

re his screen calibration software; he has a Spyder 2 which it seems is as old as the hills. That software and settings has vanished, and he claims he's solved the problem by buying a new Spyder of the current generation (lol).

mmmkay so he has no idea what they did to make things work again. Still, his screen calibration remains gone, because buying something new to fix an issue doesn't register as a fix in my book tbh.

blimey, seems oddly overkill. This is why I wonder if something went awry in the upgrade process like a wrong button ticked; I have some massively fucked up and odd apps here with all sorts of wonderful installation methods which carried over fine. I know some AV software went a bit ropey with it - sophos and kaspersky are 2 I know of. Kaspersky needs an update and sophos is just pure wank in a pintglass.
I can't see why he'd need to rebuy hardware to fix an issue, the driver stack is identical so surely a re-acquiring of the related software and the minor inconvenience of re-setting up profiles (and remembering to keep a backup of them!) is all that's required. We have some Spyder kit in our art department, i might have a play sometime next week (as I need to see how nicely 8.1 plays with GPO etc)

soze

I am a FH squatter
It does state during the install that certain apps have very real incompatibility issues. But it does not force you to run the compatibility checker.

Job

Who hasn't got a goddam pdf reader these days

My new tablet it would seem, but only because I haven't downloaded a PDF app because it's against my beliefs to have that POS if I don't have to.

Job

If I was too put WIN7 on the parents laptop would all the sleep and hibernation still work the same or is it part of the laptops own motherboard?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
...I haven't downloaded a PDF app because it's against my beliefs to have that POS if I don't have to.
Well that's your problem. What's wrong with pdf? It's more openable than doc or docx (with less weird formatting issues). It's between pdf and (totally unformattable) txt imo.

Job

It has the most diabolical UI for viewing, bloated beyond belief, try reading a manual that has been encoded in it..in-out..in-out..left-right..

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
User error, yet again. Ctrl + L to go full screen, mouse wheel to scroll between pages, Ctrl + mouse wheel to zoom in and out, Space bar + hold LMB to drag the page around when zoomed in. It's as intuitive and easy as it's possible to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom