Windows 8.1

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Anyone upgrading..I hear it reboots your pc three times...fucking lol..only microshite

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What? You do a major O/S upgrade and they're not allowed to reboot your machine a few times?

Job

Oh I dont know..maybe when I upgraded my Note with an entire new build it just rebooted once..Windoze adds a start button and a few app updates and its three reboots.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Next time your Note needs to seamlessly install drivers for any number of 1000s of devices and configure a shitload more than just a smartphone let me know.

Job

Yes..theres more data..but it just sums up Microshites inherent bloat and entrenched
Working practice...this is why the useless fuckers are on the way out..win8 is a disaster...its selling less than Vista...I smell a Nokia size fall from grace.

Kryten

Old Cow.
To be replaced with what, OSX? No, it's not going to happen.

Waiting until the weekend to upgrade mine.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Found the upgrade easy enough personally and without issue.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Upgraded last night, standard MS seamless upgrade tbh - it did take a while (45 mins start to finish) on my little lowly pooter though. I like that I can make non-tile apps smaller on the start screen, I quite like the look of Windows Phone so ... ;)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Might be an issue if win 8 ws any good on a gaming pc. What's the booting time of an appmonster of some sorts, 2 seconds? :p

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Upgraded last night, failed, hard to format my hdd and clean install.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Oh no you have to wait 20 seconds x3 while waiting for it to update, the horror.

Dip your teabag a few more times.

Job

Just like Nokia who missed the boat on touchscreens then went into panic mode to catch up and produced a lot of crap.
Win8 is that dreadful catchup attempt with apps and windoze store and they've missed the boat, who the fuck is going to buy windoze apps after using win8, it is universally despised.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Um, it's not universally despised at all.

I'm still on win7 on all my machines but 8.1 is more tempting to me than 8 was. I might put it on just for the speed improvements as long as I can do away with all the Metro stuff.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Who exactly were Microsoft trying to catch up with? They are the market leader buy a huge margin. Vista did not allow some mythical company to come and steal market share. Despite the massive savings most companies would still rather pay for Windows than try to teach everyone Linux.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
getting my surface pro 2 on monday. I'm sure you'll all be sick to death of my win8 experiences by the end of the week :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Um, it's not universally despised at all.

I'm still on win7 on all my machines but 8.1 is more tempting to me than 8 was. I might put it on just for the speed improvements as long as I can do away with all the Metro stuff.

Well, you can't, not really. You can bypass it more easily, but its still lurking around. On the other hand they've done a few tweaks to make it a bit more useful as well, so maybe its not something you have to bypass.

I haven't upgraded yet, I'll probably do it one machine tonight to see what's what. I don't like the current Win 8, and still haven't got to grips with it after nearly a year, probably because I still use Win 7 at work etc. but I don't think its a basket case the way Vista was; rather that its one of those UIs that works best if you embrace it totally across devices, which is a problem for MS because that's not going to happen...

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Updated, got the stupid "SecureBoot" message on the desktop. Wankers.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Well, you can't, not really. You can bypass it more easily, but its still lurking around. On the other hand they've done a few tweaks to make it a bit more useful as well, so maybe its not something you have to bypass.

You can disable it in the Control Panel. I've not done so yet as I'm still testing stuff out. The tile interface has small but significant improvements. Under the hood it still scores over 7 in several key areas such as streaming. I'll likely upgrade my main machine from 7 to 8.1 after my next system backup.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
You can disable it in the Control Panel. I've not done so yet as I'm still testing stuff out. The tile interface has small but significant improvements. Under the hood it still scores over 7 in several key areas such as streaming. I'll likely upgrade my main machine from 7 to 8.1 after my next system backup.

No, you can't. You can hide it a lot more than in Win 8, but its not "disabled" as such; you can just set things up so there are far fewer reasons to end up there. There's a good explanation for what you need to do here.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
It's still far too Metro. I can't see any business upgrading to 8.1 any time soon, if ever.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I just don't see the point to it over 7 really. Certainly not for home use. Not going to pay £100 (or whatever it costs) for the sake of it.

All new machines at work will be win 8 from now on though.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I just don't see the point to it over 7 really.
It really is much faster. All the core improvements 7 made over XP/Vista are there. But no, it's not worth the money and Metro does nothing of use.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Early on when it was new MS did some upgrade from 7 for £20 offer, so I bought like 4 codes :p who's laughing now.

- English -

Resident Freddy
meh, I like windows8... just takes a bit of getting used to, which is not what the general public want.

Poag

m00?
Had my work laptop replaced with a new one. Came pre loaded with Win8.

Been using it for about a week now, runs perfectly well, not had much trouble adapting to the changes. Only thing that slightly bugs me is that i have to put a MSN account into it, before i put my AD/Exchange account into it.......

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Had an eval machine at work with 8 on, it really is the most counterintuitive bag of shit I've ever used. Metro might work a treat on a tablet, but on a proper pc, with a mouse and keyboard, it's a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

Seriously, I'd rather use a Mac. And I'd quite like to kill Apple with fire.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Win 8 is a better operating system than 7, certainly. But yeah, interface is diabollockal. Start8 ftw there.

Just pissed off at Microsoft's download manager (via Akamai) which keeps failing the download for this and server 2012 R2. I mean why, it's a fucking download manager - manage the fucking download and resume/retry, don't fucking fail!

Job

They are trying to catch up with Android/Apple tablets and their huge app stores..so they fucked up windows with a goddam awful tablet interface thats unecessary and possibly the worst interace combination in the history of computing..which wouldnt matter if you could walk into pc world and choose another pc os..if you could windows would be in the bargain bin..but your stuck with it..we need to crush their monopoly.
As for the Surface..thats the mother of all fuckups..it makes the latest Blacberry llok like a winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom