Win XP Final

S

Summo

I challenge you to find a game that doesn't run on XP that does run on 98.

Bear in mind XP has a rock-solid compatibility mode, should you ever need it.

B

bodhi

Doom for Windows 95.
Doom 2 for Windows 95.

Both work, but the mouse support is fucked, even in compatibility mode. Works fine in 98SE.

P

Predator3

I have to agree that windowsXP is a nice OS. Ive encountert a few problems though... IE makes errors when i try to shutdown sometimes... and i have a webcam (usb) that doesnt work on XP..

All games i have run smooth and the system seems very stable.

Bye

S

(Shovel)

Erm, EA Sports games aparently run a bit pants on XP - and this came up cause EA can't be arsed to patch them aparently.

FIFA 2000 works fine though, FIFA 2002 demo is sweet, though NBA 99 is screwed.

Apart from NBA 99 though, all the games I've tried work. And I haven't properly messed about with the compat mode yet (read: I forgot it was there until reading this thread).

Only quibble is that it takes ages to shut down, but then, I don't need to do that very often :p

S

Summo

Originally posted by Shovel
Only quibble is that it takes ages to shut down, but then, I don't need to do that very often :p

This is to do with a poorly written section of the Nvidia drivers (which I assume you're using). Do the following for quick shutdown joy:
  • Go into Start | Control Panel | Administrative Tools and select Services
    Note: You can also open services by clicking Start | Run and typing services.msc /s
  • Double-click on the service labelled NVIDIA Driver Helper Service
  • Change the Startup type to Disabled and click the Stop button
  • Watch the service stop, then click Okay and close the Services window.
That's it! :) Not that you'll ever visit these forums again. :(

/edited to correct route to Administrative Tools.

N

Nighty-

I get that same long shut down problem .. but can't find that option SG. Is there another way of doing it through control panel for example?

O

old.Y-it-Earp

XP has been sweet as a nut to me, had no problems with programs not running apart from wanky norton antiv-virus 2001 which i got with the epox motherboard.... If anyone can point me in the way of NAV2002 much obliged :)

Im running the rather tasty win XP pro 2505 i think it is had it running on a laptop for 4weeks without it crashing once..

And i think the boot times are second to none really just gotta get this shitty nav 2001 sorted!

S

(Shovel)

SomeGuy, I think I tried the last tip you gave and couldn't find the option, I take it you are using Pro?

Anyone know if I can get an equiv. program to acess these settings for Home?

S

(Shovel)

Aparently you can get a patch for NAV 2001 too. I have 2002 and it seems to run sweet.
Sometimes takes ages to engage auto protect though, which is really weird. But not a huge quibble.

O

old.Y-it-Earp

Anyone know where i can find this?

I've looked on the symantec webbeh and nothing is there and im not about to run off and pay £30 for something that will be obselete within a few months as is always the case with Nav

fed up of it asking me to register to allow me to auto update now too

bastids:upyours:

S

(Shovel)

try the windowsxp.basics newsgroup has a link, but it will be well old by now.

And, erm, surely a virus scanner is useless without using the update feature.
NAV 2002 is quite clever, just pops up a prompt when new updates are out, unlike 2000 which screws up if your copy of Task Scheduler is screwed :p

S

(Shovel)

I've located the services thingy SomeGuy was talking about.
Go to control panel (either on the start menu or wherever you've chosen to put it) and click "Administrative Tools" then "Services" and follow SomeGuys tips.

Don't know if it works yet, but I found it anyway!!!

S

Summo

Ah, yes! I think I moved the Administrative Tools using TweakUI for XP. Sorry peeps!

If anyone's still having trouble finind it just run services.msc /s from the Run window.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom