Win XP Final

S

Summo

Tonight, I set up my PC dual-booting with Win2K and XP Pro. I like XP a lot. Even though I've used Windows for years this strikes me as how operating systems should look these days.

It'll take me a little while to find my way around but I'm happy. I constantly feel I'm pushed down an approved path, and encouraged not to tinker, but the path is so fluffy and lovely that I don't mind.

Once I'm sure all my games and stuff work, then Windows XP (with the default theme) will be my OS of choice.

E

Embattle

XP does hide a lot but it only hides it and thus you can make it reappear and tinker away :)

S

Summo

Yup. Me likee, now that I've got rid of Messenger and MSN Explorer (which is also pretty)

O

old.geigstor

aol, is so crap...............oh how i wished i hadnt even tried it:sleeping:

O

old.V-f-u-b-a-r

I've been running XP for 2 weeks now, not one crash or error of any kind whatsoever. If it didn't have Micro$oft written all over it i could've mistaken it for a distribution of linux :)

N

Nibbler

I.Hate.Windows.XP.

Oh. You could probably tell that from my comic :)

It broke my pc :/

I had to reinstall everything.

O

old.mid_gen

I've tried all the builds since Beta 1, and I've been really quite impressed.

Running my (legit!) RC2 copy at the moment, and it consistently outperforms any other os (98, ME, 2k) in games. I've not noticed it to be any quicker/slower in general multi-tasking that 2k. The boot times are *very* slick, I approve.

And if you can't muster the ability to unhide more adanced settings then you probably shouldn't be tinkering with them in the first place :p

TweakXP is a nice little program that lets you customise near as dammit anything in XP to exactly the way you like it.

the GUI? personally I switch to the Silver scheme, and drop the button size down a couple of points and de-bold the title-bar text, pretty, and functional :)

Oh and it's rock solid stable.

Not saying everyone will like it, or that it will be stable on everyone's machine, but for me, it's perfect.

O

old.KPeh

Originally posted by SomeGuy
Yup. Me likee, now that I've got rid of Messenger and MSN Explorer (which is also pretty)

How did you go around removing Messenger?
(I haven't got XP yet, but I'm assuming that XP will try for dear life to stop messenger being removed..).

Thanks

KPeh

S

Summo

Pretty simple. You can uninstall MSN Explorer from the Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs | Add/Remove Windows Components.

For Windows Messenger, go to Tools | Options | Preferences and uncheck the boxes marked Run this program when Windows starts and Allow this program to run in the background

If you use Outlook 2000/2002 you'll need to disable it from the option in there.

O

old.KPeh

Ahh, thanks - didn't think it would be that simple - expected a registry or .ini edit..

Thanks

KPeh

O

old.Jimbo Mahoney

Win XP, as far as I can tell from what other people have said on another forum, is an excellent OS.

Most people cannot believe that it has been developed by M$

I REALLY want to grab it and give it a go.

Regards,

Jimbo

W

Will

Both can be accomplished, for a price - I'll give you my sister's phone number...:D

S

Scouse

so where's the hack for the complete uninstall of messenger etc...?

S

Scouse

ta there m8ty

Too bloody lazy to find it myself ;)

S

Summo

You might be interested in this, peeps.

It's a WinXP column written by a gamer. It's MS propoganda, but it does contain some interesting facts.

B

bodhi

Win XP rocks bells. Big ones at that. Still not as stable as NT4 was back in the day, but not bad considering all the flash stuff they worked into it

O

old.Jimbo Mahoney

98se is the best gaming OS.

If you look after the registry, it's very stable. And fast.

Currently handling my 170 bus speed very well :D
and my USB keyboard and mouse.

Nice

I have tried 2k Pro and XP Pro Corp ;)

Didn't want to put Mil. Ed anywhere NEAR my PC. 'Orrible OS that one.

O

old.TUG

My install of 98se is from Feb 2000. Still stable dispite a mobo swap and numerous OC'd CPU's :) Can't fault it really bar the fact I've lost around 10% in FPS due to old age of the install I presume :)

S

Summo

'Old age of the install'?

On a decent OS that shouldn't matter, surely? I'm still surpirise at the number of gamers that stick by 98SE. Each to their own, I guess. :rolleyes:

O

old.saltank

hehehe, I've used Windows XP for months, and I LOVE IT!! It's ultra fast, stable, and looks good. The only problem i had with it was when I tried to do something with user accounts, and delete me current one..anyways long story. It works perfect.

B

bodhi

Originally posted by SomeGuy
I'm still surpirise at the number of gamers that stick by 98SE. Each to their own, I guess. :rolleyes:

Because no matter what game you buy (PC) you are guaranteed it will run, and run fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom