will casters ever be nerfed? :I

Ilum

Can't get enough of FH
Oldfaravid said:
I think personally that the lifetap lines of the casters is really the problem! If i think of it my hunter can probably take down most casters if i get my shit together however killing sorc or any other class with lifetap as hunter now thats almost impossible with these days castingspeeds...

dont think anyone cares that a hunter has a few problems too :p just good tbh

Eroda

Fledgling Freddie
Game seems fairly balanced to me atm, there isn't really any totally dominant group setup in any realm as far as i can see which is a good thing.

At times caster damage is extremely heavy but against an opted group running with good resists, the balance between casters and tanks seems about right. Bolts etc sometimes hit for totally ridicolous amounts but its generally when shields are down, theres been a debuff or just a very lucky heavy crit. Dont really know anything about tanks but im guessing by speccing for certain ra's, you could make caster damage alot more bareable and once up close, casters fall as quick as they ever have.

Ethild

Fledgling Freddie
I also think its 'fairly' balanced.

The only thing I would push for is a reduction to *all* damage (probably need a reduction to heals too) so fights last longer. The "Oh look theres a group"... then dieing in < 5 secs does nothing much to entertain me.

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
Oldfaravid said:
the nr of "semi" high tanks RR7 is overloaded at prydwen.. so basically your saying if a tank got rr7+ he can compete and a caster rr1 can own... :clap:

erm.. yes.. thats exactly what I wrote, wasnt it?...

estimated rr7.. and lower if you specc for it. Thats what I wrote. And no caster pwn at rr1. Casters need loads of RAs they aswell incase you missed it. RR1caster is as useless as you seem to think your archer is.

Aaaand tbh.. an archer whinging... rofl :wanker:

Arthemis

Fledgling Freddie
Jeriraa said:
Tbh I am fine with the DPS of casters these days. Getting hit for 400 a nuke with sc'd resists is actually ok for me. What I am not ok with is the speed. It takes me 2 seconds to turn around and start sprinting away after I get hit by the 1st nuke. By that time I am already down to 1/3 of my hits. Real tanks might be at 1/2 but that doesnt help them either.

Casters nuke too fast. They make battles last 5 seconds instead 20. This might be fun for the killer but causes nothing but frustration to the prey who never had a chance to react.

So what to do about it?

Option a) Nerf cast speed. - Nothing I favour tbh.

Option b) Make all (with all I mean archers aswell) ranged damage scale down according to the distance from the target. - The further away, the less damage. Would need some experiements to determinate the ideal percentages but probably something like

max range - 50% dmg
half range - 100% dmg
pointblank - 125% dmg (not pbae-spells ofcourse)

This would allow a victim to either choose to attack or flee instead of dieing before even being able to consider his options. While still maintaining the average dps of the caster.

Same as this... the damage isnt insane but the castspeed is!

Maleg

Fledgling Freddie
Oldfaravid said:
the nr of "semi" high tanks RR7 is overloaded at prydwen.. so basically your saying if a tank got rr7+ he can compete and a caster rr1 can own... :clap:
Low RR Tank heavy group vs low RR mage heavy group and mages dominate. High RR Tank group vs high RR mage group and the balance is in the tank groups favour. Low ML / RR (and crap equipment) mages hurt. High RR / ML and decent equipment and mages are fairly ineffective.

I think what he's saying is if your in shit gear and low RR then mages pwn. However if you're high RR and in a decent group then not only are low RR mages crap but high RR mages don't do much to you either.

Oldfaravid

Fledgling Freddie
Shike said:
erm.. yes.. thats exactly what I wrote, wasnt it?...

estimated rr7.. and lower if you specc for it. Thats what I wrote. And no caster pwn at rr1. Casters need loads of RAs they aswell incase you missed it. RR1caster is as useless as you seem to think your archer is.

Aaaand tbh.. an archer whinging... rofl :wanker:
I dont zerg.. Im not drawn to massive keeptakes.. i havent got ml8 thus dont have zephyr.. yes im so overpowerd... but then again I havent played the game for almost 2 weeks.. The only thing making people whining about archers is the playstyle wich currently favours a highspecc bower in a tower up high.. other then that yes FZ is overpowerd but not all have that..

Gelid

Fledgling Freddie
I probably agree on the cast speed thing aswell. It actually works against us aswell (in a twisted kinda way) because it makes quickcast all but useless - you quickcast at your base speed, i.e. without buffs, so by the time I've quickcasted a nuke to interrupt a mage thats nuking me, I'm dead - of course this also works in my favour especially with the backloaded damage from bolts. Just another example of how the game is turning into an FPS really..

... but i'm not complaining :p

Leel

Fledgling Freddie
I think casters are slightly overpowered with fully tweaked toa gear. Add power relics to that, and it gets ugly:-P

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
ToA was the caster boost (Resist Piercing)
With added Anti Tank features (Grapple,BG)
But before ToA Melee groups dominated RvR due to Resist buffs, RA's like Baod and the damage output of savages and mercs(not to mention GP and Det5).

Casters got a needed boost, but since NF is mainly ranged combat melee class's are starting to feel the pain, since most RvR is at towers/keeps now.

DavidH

Part of the furniture
Think its fairly good how it is now with casters. Its not just because I play one myself. Been playing a friends toa'd merc lots of times, I never have a problem with finding good fights, and winning them. ;)

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
Oldfaravid said:
I dont zerg.. Im not drawn to massive keeptakes.. i havent got ml8 thus dont have zephyr.. yes im so overpowerd... but then again I havent played the game for almost 2 weeks.. The only thing making people whining about archers is the playstyle wich currently favours a highspecc bower in a tower up high.. other then that yes FZ is overpowerd but not all have that..
But just cuz' your specific char is crap doesn't make the class any less good tho..

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
If there the cast speed of caster were to be lowered I think it would only be fair to add a celerity and haste buff for casting speed since otherwise melee speed would out rule casting speed by far..

And since spells are interuptable and melee ain't I think it's only fair that the dmg are a bit higher.

raid

Can't get enough of FH
Damage is pretty much fine - with all the resistbuffs, interrupts and banelordstuff casters need to nuke hard to be viable, only relics imbalance things some. ToA was major caster love and the anti-tank stuff went even too far with grapple in the first patch, but it's fine now as well. I dont think that balance itself changed much in NF, the environment was just made much more caster-friendly and imo thats where the problem with caster vs tank balance is atm.

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
Oldfaravid said:

heh.. go get ML10 and learn to play.. when you have maxed out your toon gearwise, then come whinging if you truly believe the performance is poor. You actually expect to pwn when you havent even made it past ml8? That would be same stupidity as if a caster ran around in RoG's and expected optimal casttime, same principle, or a tank running around with dropped weps and wondering why they arent doing any big hits. Sounds stupid doesnt it?... The potential is there, and always will be, if you dont have it, its not anybodys elses problem but your own, period. :wanker:

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
Zebolt said:
If there the cast speed of caster were to be lowered I think it would only be fair to add a celerity and haste buff for casting speed since otherwise melee speed would out rule casting speed by far..

And since spells are interuptable and melee ain't I think it's only fair that the dmg are a bit higher.

CC along with longrange attacks kinda makes mages tho :) Cant kill tanks in close range combat which is tanks strenght and mages strength is range. Scissor>paper etc.. I believe hybridgrp's is the way to go, with alittle more tankbase if planning on going for higher RR and more casters if more casual since caster is easier to play overall now. Tanks rush to kill and intercept while other side does same.. ordinary fight with other words ;) Lowering mages castspeed could be good for overall balance, but also means high RR tanks need a slight nerf aswell or they will completely destroy mages at higher RR. The best overall would be a rework of the interruptsystem that still blows sadly.

(i know you already knew this zeb but... feel like ranting alil atm ^^)

Maddude

One of Freddy's beloved
casters nukeing for 500-700 a nuke with 1.2 sec cap or whatever it is isnt fair imo Oo.

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
Maddude said:
casters nukeing for 500-700 a nuke with 1.2 sec cap or whatever it is isnt fair imo Oo.

Dont forget the fire wizzies bolting for 13xx damage ;O ( hello , i dont have much more hp than that! )

Mandi

Fledgling Freddie
tetsue said:
Is it just me or are casters just insane nowadays ? :(
They nuke way too hard too fast :(

funny that you mention it, I was talking to guild yesterday and I said that no matter what FOTM class mythic can think of next, chanter will still just have to stun nuke nuke nuke to kill it :D

Oldfaravid

Fledgling Freddie
Shike said:
heh.. go get ML10 and learn to play.. when you have maxed out your toon gearwise, then come whinging if you truly believe the performance is poor. You actually expect to pwn when you havent even made it past ml8? That would be same stupidity as if a caster ran around in RoG's and expected optimal casttime, same principle, or a tank running around with dropped weps and wondering why they arent doing any big hits. Sounds stupid doesnt it?... The potential is there, and always will be, if you dont have it, its not anybodys elses problem but your own, period. :wanker:
Havent even made it past ml8.. how many in this game are passed ml8?? most of the population i figure is below ml3! Sorry for having a irl..

Oh and what im generally pointing at is that the CLASS in it self isnt overpowerd.. it has pretty much same tools before NF only real change is that a archer now can get mastery of stealth to not get PA bye assassins all the time.. Pre NF people wherent whining about archers but at release of NF people are screaming they are Overpowerd etc.. well they arent really (only thing overpowerd is the FZ tool) ONLY THING THAT HAS CHANGED IS THE PLAYSTYLE WICH THE RANGED CLASSES BENEFITS FROM...

I wonder who is the wanker if your looking at the fact that I have stuff i want to accomplish IRL.. but im not whining I dont have FZ etc.. I was just pointing to the fact that a archer without FZ isnt really overpowerd.. so now a class is based on its ML.. isnt it the ML that is overpowerd then??

And last part.. where do I say my char is useless.. I dont.. I have lots of fun even if im not ml8.. the days im not getting zerged bye the otherrealms stealthgroups I can even say I really enjoy the game.. the crap part where you wrote about learn to play.. Climbing up a tower using assist macro and critshooting on casters isnt really what i call skill, and I also find it extremly boring.. the olddays renaris keepdefs where fun cause it felt like they meant something for relics raids etc.. these days where theres always some tiny tower to defend I find keepdef being utterly boring...

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
Maddude said:

And how meny seconds does it taken your zerker charging through my CC to kill me?

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Sparrow said:
They can strafe.
lol and LOL again

tanks can hit you while they run through, what u gona do strafe and swing youre staff for youre uber 50 dmg. Only exception being bonedancer who can insta lifetap

Arthemis said:
but tanks has to get close enough to do this :)
not very long with charge

Sparrow

Fledgling Freddie
Chronictank said:
lol and LOL again

tanks can hit you while they run through, what u gona do strafe and swing youre staff for youre uber 50 dmg. Only exception being bonedancer who can insta lifetap

not very long with charge

Bit of a temper on you.

However, if you must have an argument over it, I'm sure there are other casters in his group while he's strafing who don't need to.

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
Oldfaravid said:
Havent even made it past ml8.. how many in this game are passed ml8?? most of the population i figure is below ml3! Sorry for having a irl..

I know tons of people that are ML10, and many have multiple chars that all are ML10. And I seriosly doubt the majority is below ML3. TOA came a while ago, rl or no rl... Not hacking down on you personally, just mentioned that if one aint got all the tools available, one cannot whine about things.

Oldfaravid said:
Oh and what im generally pointing at is that the CLASS in it self isnt overpowerd.. it has pretty much same tools before NF only real change is that a archer now can get mastery of stealth to not get PA bye assassins all the time.. Pre NF people wherent whining about archers but at release of NF people are screaming they are Overpowerd etc.. well they arent really (only thing overpowerd is the FZ tool) ONLY THING THAT HAS CHANGED IS THE PLAYSTYLE WICH THE RANGED CLASSES BENEFITS FROM...

Archers are overpowered and easymode in NF, period, nomatter how you twist and turn it. Long range combined with very high damage combined with how NF looks makes it silly. I dont really care how you play, you can sit and craft for all I care, doesnt make archers any less silly.

Oldfaravid said:
I wonder who is the wanker if your looking at the fact that I have stuff i want to accomplish IRL.. but im not whining I dont have FZ etc.. I was just pointing to the fact that a archer without FZ isnt really overpowerd.. so now a class is based on its ML.. isnt it the ML that is overpowerd then??

Are you a wanker? Ok.. and get a small clue, FZ is only one of the things archers got that make them silly.

Oldfaravid said:
And last part.. where do I say my char is useless.. I dont.. I have lots of fun even if im not ml8.. the days im not getting zerged bye the otherrealms stealthgroups I can even say I really enjoy the game.. the crap part where you wrote about learn to play.. Climbing up a tower using assist macro and critshooting on casters isnt really what i call skill, and I also find it extremly boring.. the olddays renaris keepdefs where fun cause it felt like they meant something for relics raids etc.. these days where theres always some tiny tower to defend I find keepdef being utterly boring...

Sitting and sniping from towers etc, is just precisely what tons of archers do, boring or not. Hence peoples whine about archers in general. Just because you find it boring to do it, doesnt mean that its less silly. You are not the center of the game, how you play your toon will not affect the games course. I wish more archers was thinking like you though, sitting and sniping is kinda lame, but I can also understand why most do it, its called easymode. Same reason why so many play casters nowadays, its easier than tank. Been loads of similar situations through DAoC's history, when people roll classes that are easy to roll in some RP's with. Look around and see how many archers there actually are and ask yourself, would so many roll them if they was considered as gimp as they was back in 1.5x? I think not. Anyways, you dont seem to get what im trying to say so lets just drop it.

Bottomline, casters are quite fine as is, one can do things to lessen their impact if one feel a need to do so. Get banelords in the group, get some AoM, get EM for those times you are under heavy fire. You will at least be possible to heal then and it buys you time to get to them to kill them. Not saying its a win, but it does give a good chanse of winning at least. Which is how it is supposed to be imo.

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
Maddude said:
I've been attacked by that dmg by zerkers and add celerity to their attacks + haste buff and 10% melee speed and the speed is even faster than 1.2 secs ^^

I think that is unfair too then xD

Lokir

Fledgling Freddie
So IF the tank get to the caster he do the same dmg. Is that wrong?..
If the tank happens to get there he will probably

if not qc stun root mezz

sorc ra-you hit for 20
cabby pet- you are stunned
SM pet- i sacrifice myself for my master
and so on...

How hard can it be to see that casters are a bit op atm..
Not saying they need a big nerf just a slight fix.
Its actually the combination NF+ slightly op caster
that make the big diffrence..

If all damage was reduced fights would last longer and tanks
would have better chance to actually get there due to the
hp. Dont know if it would work but something need to be done.

(i have a caster myself btw)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom