why not

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I reported a bunch of links to pirated material last night. Still there.

Odd that.
On here? I just checked the moderator queue and do not see any reported posts.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
It was not @BloodOmen which made the rules up... However we are discussing the freeshard debate at the moment, more news real soon.
Aye, but with all due respect, you don't play DAOC, I really don't think it's realistic to say that you'll get the po-po knocking at your door or a lawyer sending you death mails if you allow people to talk about it.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Aye, but with all due respect, you don't play DAOC, I really don't think it's realistic to say that you'll get the po-po knocking at your door or a lawyer sending you death mails if you allow people to talk about it.
No, but when we originally discussed freeshards I did not make the decision based solely on my own experience or lack thereof.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber

Someone must have already ignored them then but I did last night.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Someone must have already ignored them then but I did last night.
You reported posts which did not contain links from what I can see. This does highlight a possible issue to me. According to the CoC:
  • Copyrighted music, film or other similar material is not permitted to be posted on our forums, neither are links to such files or links / details of methods of obtaining such material via online or offline means.

The posts reported do not contain actual links but site names, maybe too detailed, maybe not. That in itself requires more thought and research on my part, will take this offline out of this thread.

Thanks for highlighting this.

Gwadien

@Deebs I don't want to tell you how to suck eggs, but it might be a good idea to get more members involved in this debate.

People might have strong opinions either way, because it's seen as 'taking away the player base from DAOC' which simply isn't true.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
You reported posts which did not contain links from what I can see. This does highlight a possible issue to me. According to the CoC:

The posts reported do not contain actual links but site names, maybe too detailed, maybe not. That in itself requires more thought and research on my part, will take this offline out of this thread.

Could those site names be used to get legal material from torrents ?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber

Just to be clear, I don't care either way. It is more the attitude of some mods that I have a problem with, as mentioned earlier in the thread. Basically saying that you can discuss one illegal activity but not this equally illegal (and pretty much the same thing actually) activity, with the answer given because fuck you, that's why...its pretty childish. Nobody links to the freeshard forums, nobody links to sites containing any of the files or how to obtain them. All people are doing is finding out where other players are.

This has always been a pretty relaxed forum which has been going a long time but when you have mods coming in saying they don't give a fuck what the members have to say its wrong, imo.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Could those site names be used to get legal material from torrents ?

Theoretically yes but I challenge you to find a single legal download on the piratebay (which has been linked several times, along with alternative sites)

Plenty of people use torrents to download and distribute legal content and the technology itself is perfectly legal. However, links to sites containing links to film/tv/music/games etc rips are clearly not legal, otherwise they wouldn't be getting shut down all the time.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
@Deebs I don't want to tell you how to suck eggs, but it might be a good idea to get more members involved in this debate.

People might have strong opinions either way, because it's seen as 'taking away the player base from DAOC' which simply isn't true.

The debate needs no bias, which it has in the form of the 4 people currently in it.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
The debate needs no bias, which it has in the form of the 4 people currently in it.

Again, failing to understand the problem. DOAC and all its shards could slip into the sea for all I care, I just want fair, balanced moderation. And not ololol fuck you, reevaluate your life ololol bullshit. Its childish and unnecessary.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I'll chip in, I think talking about freeshards should be fair game, just don't mention specific servers etc (We all know which one people use anyway). The people playing freeshards aren't going to play live and I doubt it's going to convince live users to cancel and go with the shards.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Just chipping in, I'm sure it'll help toward Deebs decision.

For the record though I don't play shards, I find it more fun just listening to the DAoC soundtrack and crying due to nostalgia overload.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin

I made them go away. Tbh I felt @Raven was simply throwing toys, and also I do not feel a link to a torrent link aggregate site is in itself a bad thing. Deebs has already said that he is putting thought into the matter. Frankly that's good enough for me; if I'm wrong I am happy to be enlightened.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I made them go away. Tbh I felt @Raven was simply throwing toys, and also I do not feel a link to a torrent link aggregate site is in itself a bad thing. Deebs has already said that he is putting thought into the matter. Frankly that's good enough for me; if I'm wrong I am happy to be enlightened.

Slightly, but more to prove a point to the emotionally challenged among the mods. If only we could clone you we would be sorted.

Last edited:

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
To quote Radiohead; "You used to be alright. What happend?"
I stopped pretending to like shoes and started reading Ravens drivel.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
I stopped pretending to like shoes and started reading Ravens drivel.

Seems to me some the personal hatred is strong between some people (see Moriath ratings responces aswell). Not sure what Raven did to deserve it. Perhaps it's time for everyone to grow up and have a beer (irl if possible). If anything, Aoln is spot on. Stop the vendettas. It's getting old and tiresome to read. The same goes for the moderation on DAoC freeshards. Give it a rest.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Seems to me some the personal hatred is strong between some people (see Moriath ratings responces aswell). Not sure what Raven did to deserve it. Perhaps it's time for everyone to grow up and have a beer (irl if possible). If anything, Aoln is spot on. Stop the vendettas. It's getting old and tiresome to read. The same goes for the moderation on DAoC freeshards. Give it a rest.
I got nothing personal against raven. Just disagreed a lot with what he said in this thread. :fluffle:

Tilda

Not sure if Deebs is going to do an official announcement but I think we're 99% there with it being fine to talk about freeshards.

I am currently trying to work out if I want to re-start on Alb- Genesis or play on the live servers.
I think live servers have marginally more population compared to Genesis, but then there's the pain in the ass of having to do ML's and artifact farming on all your items.
OF alb is quite appealing.

Anybody else playing Genesis alb? or everybody waiting for Uthgard?

Gwadien

Not sure if Deebs is going to do an official announcement but I think we're 99% there with it being fine to talk about freeshards.

I am currently trying to work out if I want to re-start on Alb- Genesis or play on the live servers.
I think live servers have marginally more population compared to Genesis, but then there's the pain in the ass of having to do ML's and artifact farming on all your items.
OF alb is quite appealing.

Anybody else playing Genesis alb? or everybody waiting for Uthgard?
Genesis is bugged to crap aparrently. I'll have another think about it after this weekend coming up then I shall make a decision, although I'll probably go to a realm where I have friends with crafters etc and I doubt Alb is one of them.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
If people are playing on some kind of old school shard with old school levelling etc, I might join you lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom