Why do people get married?

Bahumat

FH is my second home
1) If she has a shit surname it solves that issue

2) If you tell someone you wanna spend the rest of your life with them, that is great, however if you get married it almost strengthens how much you mean it (and yes, i know you can get divorced within a week, but its nice to know that someone is willing to commit themselves to you...and with marriage (imo) it's like they've just taken that one extra step)

3) You can say to people "Yeah my wifes amazing" instead of gf.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Or: Its a formal agreement between two families that they are now allied to each other through blood;

Best answer ever.

Thanks for that, it actually makes sense to me.

Forging alliances has always been a survival method, be it in any form or area, but never thought about marriage as such.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
If you're stinking rich don't get married. Or if you do make sure there's a pre-nup agreement whereby the bitch isn't able to get her filthy mits on your stash of cash

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita
Or: Its a formal agreement between two families that they are now allied to each other through blood;

Best answer ever.

Forging alliances has always been a survival method, be it in any form or area, but never thought about marriage as such.

I don't agree. That only applies if the parents are marrying you off to someone for social gain or to strengthen their family... this is something which 'seems' to occur with strong muslim belief families. Forgive my ignorance if I got the wrong religion.

The whole alliance side of things only applies if its the families who setup these 'arrangements'. I cant exactly see Bob Geldof and Paula Yates getting married to strengthen their alliance!

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
*Toto gets married*
*Toto logs onto FH*
"Umm...about that poll I made....well, umm...its like this..." *more shuffling of feet, eyes downcast, getting hot under the collar*
"I kinda fell in love and we both wanted to make a life-long commitment to each other"
*Stop press !*

Bahumat

FH is my second home
*Toto gets married*
*Toto logs onto FH*
"Umm...about that poll I made....well, umm...its like this..." *more shuffling of feet, eyes downcast, getting hot under the collar*
"I kinda fell in love with a job and wanted to make a life-long commitment to the job. I now have 6 jobs."
*Stop press !*

Fixed that for ya!

Amanita

Part of the furniture
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita

I don't agree. That only applies if the parents are marrying you off to someone for social gain or to strengthen their family... this is something which 'seems' to occur with strong muslim belief families. Forgive my ignorance if I got the wrong religion.

The whole alliance side of things only applies if its the families who setup these 'arrangements'. I cant exactly see Bob Geldof and Paula Yates getting married to strengthen their alliance!

Its exactly what marriage used to be over here as well. As I understand it these kind of marriages still happen amongst the Royalty (think Diana and Charles). Nowadays perhaps marriage is more habit than anything else but do not forget what marriage used to mean: "Your daughter belongs to MY family now."

Addition: Thats why traditionally its the woman who changes their surname.

Jarahl

Can't get enough of FH
In Denmark it is much cheaper to just get married at city hall than getting cross insured.

But ultimately doesn't it all just boil down to old fancy romance? Even thought any bloke would never admit to it, I guess every human being is hunting for his/her partner in life, and I guess marriage has turned into a sign for this these days.

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
Why do people get married? For this isn't it? ;)

Now go and find a woman from a nice country to live!

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Best answer ever.

well its probably wrong for the most part but whatever floats your boat :)

in any civilized country its not the family's that decide who their son/daughter should marry, thus its not a formal agreement between the 2 family's.

and its neither some long forgotten caveman survival instinct as i have a small hunch that marriage didn't exist back then.

yes the 2 thats involved may want to make a formal statement, but not in the way you think.

and in most cases its just as simple as "because they want to".

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Oh i didn't mean an agreement between families, but a reason, for me, is to bring two families together for a more powerful force is a "reason" enough :)

I didn't mean forced marriages or anything like that.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Oh i didn't mean an agreement between families, but a reason, for me, is to bring two families together for a more powerful force is a "reason" enough :)

I didn't mean forced marriages or anything like that.

Well yeah, ok.

But part from Scottland and Alabama there isnt any family feuds anymore that would warrant that explanation either ;)

Olgaline

FH is my second home
I think it boils down to.

- Ceremonial, Economical and Traditional reasons.

but if your looking for Logical reason? it's down to financial safety/secutity

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I think it boils down to.

- Ceremonial, Economical and Traditional reasons.

but if your looking for Logical reason? it's down to financial safety/secutity

yep, that would be my bet also.

if nothing else then for the ceremonial and traditional reasons...

eksdee

FH is my second home
i find the idea that marriage somehow makes one person more commited to another utterly absurd. in fact i see it as quite the opposite, i think a large percentage of marriages happen because one person feels they might lose the other somewhere down the line, so they push to get married for the 'security' aspect of it.

the whole notion of marriage just makes me laugh. i'd just throw a big party instead and publicly announce how much you love your spouse (as that is essentially what it boils down to anyway).

as far as the legal aspects of pentions and such go - you can always get a civil partnership to get around that stuff.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
the whole notion of marriage just makes me laugh. I'd just throw a big party instead and publicly announce how much you love your spouse (as that is essentially what it boils down to anyway).

as far as the legal aspects of pentions and such go - you can always get a civil partnership to get around that stuff.

so if your gonna go to the trouble of holding a ceremonial event to commemorate your love for each other, and go to further extended trouble of seeking a legal civil partnership ?

the only part I see you skipping is the Church/town hall?
unless you'd have some religious objection to the aspect of marriage then it makes about as much sense as a German Sheppard at a foreign meats festival in China

eksdee

FH is my second home
there are a hell of a lot more legal complications involved with being married than to having a civil partnership, at least far as i'm aware.

the religious aspect of it is also something i reject, but that's not really the issue at hand.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
there are a hell of a lot more legal complications involved with being married than to having a civil partnership, at least far as I'm aware.

it doesn't have to be, that's what consensual prenup's are for ;)

the religious aspect of it is also something i reject, but that's not really the issue at hand.

Well that's a fair point, although it's long been possible to skip the religious aspect of it by getting married at the Town hall.

eksdee

FH is my second home
haha, a prenup essentially negates the point of being married anyway. i think all the back and forth of reasons why and why not to get married just shows how silly it all is ;)

eksdee

FH is my second home
well, i love you completely and utterly... BUT blabla, do you not see the contradiction? seems incredibly obvious to me.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
i want to marry you because i wanna share my life with you - but in case we dont i want you to sign this paper not to scew me over...

thats not really trust in another person.

however i see why people get them

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
although it's long been possible to skip the religious aspect of it by getting married at the Town hall.

My wife and I got married in a barn with a registrar, we refused to have any religious connotations at all due to neither of us believing in god (or at least the business that is god™)

As for the reasons, it felt like the right thing to do, to show friends and family that we intended to spend the rest of our lives together and to celebrate that fact with those close to us, a meeting of the families i suppose. ofc there are other benefits with taxes, simplicity not to mention wedding presents!

Obviously some people don't want to get married, I used to be the same. Things change though :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Obviously some people don't want to get married, I used to be the same. Things change though :)

Not towards you, but gods above i hate that sentiment. "Well once you meet the right lady...", oh f*ck off! If i meet the right lady, i won't get married :lol:

russell

FH is my second home
I believed that marriage was a natural progression as I had lived with Mr R and I wanted kids (to be born into a stable environment- as I wasn't), I loved my man and wanted to celebrate that fact.

I spent ages planning it meticulously. It was a perfect day, big old manor house where everyone stayed over, free bar, karaoke and a murder mystery reception where one of the guests 'died' in between courses. All the people I loved were present and my memories of that day are some of the best of my life.

On the actual day we were so happy, in a bubble of love and it was all so right. I was struck by the vows we made to each other and the seriousness of it all, more than I thought I would be. You make a promise in front of everyone you love.

Since then my rosy view of marriage has changed. I love my hubby dearly, but it is bloody hard work. I dont think you have to get married at all, it is only tradition and a constraint of keeping order in society... and if you feel pressure to do so then its wrong, and you are not ready.

If (heaven forbid) anything ever did happen with me and Mr R I can categorically say that I would NEVER get married again. Lots of my friends are getting divorced, some of them only got married to wear the dress/ have a party.... and its all gone pete tong- funnily enough. When marriage was endorsed by the church and became the norm -most people only lived until their early thirties, so no wonder affairs are rife. Being married for life is a long old time nowadays.

Marrying is a celebration, nothing more, nothing less. No tax benefits anymore. Just a lovely day -and good memories (presents, presents, presents- shallow I know, but quite exciting)

Take it or leave it really

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Not towards you, but gods above i hate that sentiment. "Well once you meet the right lady...", oh f*ck off! If i meet the right lady, i won't get married :lol:

Thats not quite what i mean :)

Amanita

Part of the furniture

Never say never tbh. How do you know your feelings won't reverse themselves in the future? I don't plan on getting married, but I don't plan on NOT getting married.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom