why are there holes in biscuits?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I wasn't talking about the biscuits. Or the cakes for that matter. Well, not all cakes, anyway.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Bodhi said:
eq, Shortcake. Oh no that's a biscuit.

You mean shortbread. Is that a biscuit.......or a cake.......or is it bread.

Oh ffs, im confused!

Pakman

Fledgling Freddie
Stimpy said:
Shortbread is a cookie.

There is no such thing as a "cookie" next you will start talking about sidewalks and other myths.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
shortcake is bread that is stale so you think its a biscuit. ;) although sometimes it does have holes that indicates its a biscuit. that is the cheap kind that is a biscuit with shortcake flavour added to it.

purely BS of course.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
tbh shortbread/cake is nothing like stale bread, the consistancy is all wrong for starts :twak:

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
I just wrote out a long winded reply as to where shortbread/cake got its name from but I then realised noone cared, I still feel like sharing some useless knowledge though so I'll just say that the short part comes from the word shortening which means a type of fat such as butter which is one of the ingredients of shortbread/cake.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
JBP| said:
tbh shortbread/cake is nothing like stale bread, the consistancy is all wrong for starts :twak:

it is aged in oak barrels for at least 20 years.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Pakman said:
There is no such thing as a "cookie" next you will start talking about sidewalks and other myths.
I thought a cookie was a type of biscuit. :p

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Bodhi said:
Never said it was - they do taste very similar tho. Shortcake is the bit round the jam in a Jammy Dodger (best biscuits evar), shortbread is that lovely stuff we jocks like to eat on Hogmanay. Shortbread is just a bit harder and a bit sweeter.

I know you never said that. But others seemed to be a bit of confused as to whats shortbread and whats shortcake.

but yes you're right shortcake is a bloody biscuit!

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Just to solve the diff between a cake and a biscuit...

A biscuit goes soft when its stale and a cake goes hard.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Fig rolls go hard.

And they're in the biscuit section.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Jafa cakes are also in the biscuit section but doesnt make them a biscuit

Will

/bin/su
Wikipedia said:
Under UK law, no VAT is charged on biscuits and cakes - they are 'zero rated'. (Note that in British English, a 'biscuit' is roughly equivalent to a US 'cookie' or 'cracker'). Chocolate covered biscuits, however, are classed as luxury items and are subject to VAT at 17.5%. McVitie's classed its Jaffa Cakes as cakes, but in 1991 this was challenged in court. This may have been because their Jaffa Cakes are about the same size and shape as some types of biscuit. The question which had to be answered was what criteria should be used to class something as a cake or biscuit. McVitie's defended the classification of Jaffa Cakes as a cake by producing a giant jaffa cake to illustrate that their jaffa cakes were simply mini cakes. They also argued that the distinction between cakes and biscuits is simply that cakes go hard when stale, whereas biscuits go soft. It was demonstrated that Jaffa Cakes become hard when stale and McVitie's won the case.

Dys is right, though he shouldn't dig up old threads

weevil

Fledgling Freddie
to quote a wise man, you cant crack a cake!

this has to be the most random, but one of the best threads every :)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
You all smell of piss!!

How you like them cookies/cakes/biscuits/pooh?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Everyone must dunk! And dunk everything and anything in hot tea, coffee and cold or hot milk. Except your cock, or anything Wij has touched.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Chet is correct. I tend to dunk any biscuit. especially when I am poorleh, then I practically live off digestives and tea :)

ReActor

Fledgling Freddie
I was once told that the only reason McDonalds put slices of gherkin in their burgers is to prevent them being technically classed as cakes - based on the sugar content.

I like this idea, but suspect that it may be a myth dreamt up by those anti-gherkins-in-McDonalds-burgers fools.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Gherkins > biscuits.

I even have a gherkin relish and 2 jars of whole ones in my fridge.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
ReActor said:
I was once told that the only reason McDonalds put slices of gherkin in their burgers is to prevent them being technically classed as cakes - based on the sugar content.

I like this idea, but suspect that it may be a myth dreamt up by those anti-gherkins-in-McDonalds-burgers fools.

so... mcdonalds burgers go hard when stale? :eek7:

not that i eat them anyway, KFC tower burgers > McD :worthy:

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
Ormorof said:
so... mcdonalds burgers go hard when stale? :eek7:

not that i eat them anyway, KFC tower burgers > McD :worthy:

The buns do at least, KFC buns too if you leave them for so long.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
ReActor said:

Surely the slab of meat* disqualifies it as a cake...

* or mechanically recovered meat substitute in mcd's case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom