why are there holes in biscuits?

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
The other day, whilst reclining in a deck chair in my garden, I was struck by the question "why do water biscuits have little holes in them?"

In fact, the subject had been troubling me for sometime, so I asked a carrot growing in my vegetable patch if he/she/it could shed any light on the matter.

I then remembered that there was no way that he/she/it could could help me as vegetables do not have the gift of speech. At least not in English!!!

I then asked myself "why did God, should he/she/it exist, deem me suitable for the chance to express myself through words but not afford humble vegetables, such as the carrot, the same privilege?"

I then wondered: "is speech a privilege after all or just another tool by way of leading us into moral corruption?" This brought me on to the question "what is moral corruption?". "What if?" I thought "the whole fabric of society as we know it was somehow changed so that the only moral value was 'eat fish'?". "Would everyone follow that code and eat fish?" I wondered. "Or would they still stray from this moral path and indulge in 'mung beans'?"

This lead my to another question " What does 'mung' as in 'mung' beans mean? Is it something spiritual or something of a more materialistic nature? What is materialism after all?" I pondered ponderously. "What is nature?" I pondered again.

Suddenly I heard my wife Bidula calling from the kitchen that my dinner was ready, so I jumped up from my deck chair leaving behind my garden but not the unanswered questions.

It is such a pity, I reflected as I tucked into my beans (baked not mung) on toast. So many questions, so little time.

… Dr Earwing von Kartoffel spent over 50 years as Professor of Philosophy at 'Die Universitat Apfel Strudel in the Black Forest. He is now enjoying his retirement in the leafy north London suburb of Barnet.

But the question is still unanswered.......WHY ARE THERE HOLES IN THE TOP OF BISCUITS!

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
to allow quicker saturation when dipped in tea/coffee/other beverages.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
You don't dip water biscuits in tea... you have them with cheese innit.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
nath said:
You don't dip water biscuits in tea... you have them with cheese innit.

Biscuit = dippable

at least in my experience.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
dip it low, pick it up slow, etc.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
TdC said:
dip it low, pick it up slow, etc.

you talking biscuits, or did the topic change to sex whilst I wasnt looking?

TdC

there's been a time where I'd not have minded getting down and dirty with a properly made gingersnap tbh

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The holes in biscuits, any kind, are there so the biscuit will brake more easily. If it didn't have those miniscule holes, it would need more force to brake. This makes the consumption of any particular cookie in question, much mroe enjoyable as you don't have to "grind" so much through it.

*nods and puts on his wizard hat and robe*

<EmiMEnm72>: Ready now.
<HotChixor69>: Oh ffs it's you!

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
ooh! suit you sir!

its impossible to get properly made gingersnap biscuits these days! we're stuck with 3rd rate impersonations of ginger biccys which just dont have the right amount of *crunch* after a good dunking :eek:

TdC

Insane said:
ooh! suit you sir!

its impossible to get properly made gingersnap biscuits these days! we're stuck with 3rd rate impersonations of ginger biccys which just dont have the right amount of *crunch* after a good dunking :eek:

exactly! gone are the days of yore, where proper tea-soaked crunchiness abounded! cookies these days are wank tbh :(

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
old.Tohtori said:
The holes in biscuits, any kind, are there so the biscuit will brake more easily.

Stop.

Biscuits have brakes?

carry on.......

dysfunction

FH is my second home
The holes prevent the biscuit from rising too much while they are being cooked. You wouldnt want a doorstep of a water biscuit now would you....

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Lack of raising agents does that. The holes are to promote even moisture loss throughout the biscuit - if one area looses more than another it will cause stress fractures in the biscuit, and broken biscuits suck.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Dunking biscuits in tea is the most digusting thing on the planet. Where is the pleasure in eating soggy biscuits?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Good god man, have you never dunked a custard cream into a nice hot cup of tea?

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
I believe the holes in biscuits to be an alien conspiracy to destroy the world.

As such I suggest we all eat cake instead!!!!!

(Note this is not assosiated with the Cookie Assosiation for taking over the world)

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
What the fuck are water biscuits... I have never seen 'water biscuits' on the shelf of Tesco!

Nice to see people have lots of theories as to why the holes are there...

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Carr's Water Biscuit. One of the most basic types of biscuit around.They really are quite common.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
You may not have seen them, Skyler, because they're probably not in the normal buscuit section. They're savoury things, for cheese like.

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
What is a biscuit, and how is it different from a cake? After thinking about it for a wee while, I decided that the difference is that biscuits are crunchy.

But then... is a biscuit still a biscuit after it's been dipped?

JBP|

Part of the furniture
but what about kitkats

biscuit or confectionary?

thats the real issue

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I remember a program about the vatman once, and how 'his' decisions can ruin businesses. Apparently, some forms of confectionary are zero-rated for VAT, and there is a very thin line between what are biscuits, and what are confectionary.

Anyway, I'm on a diet now, so no talk of biscuits please. Two months of nothing but working along the coast and eating out every night have played havoc with my belly. :D

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Tom said:
Anyway, I'm on a diet now, so no talk of biscuits please. Two months of nothing but working along the coast and eating out every night have played havoc with my belly. :D

wot about the other 3 bellies you have :p

TdC

the company I work for has an employee restaurant at all locations. once apon a time, they featured milkshakes. the milkshakes were sold as "drinks", but after a month the suddenly were sold as "deserts". drinks cost one credit, deserts cost four credits.
when certain employees argued that a milkshake is a drink and not a desert, "they" brought in an "independant expert" who claimed that milkshakes are deserts due to the fact that they contain over a certain level of calories compared to drinks. thus the milkshakes remained 4 credits, people stopped buying them and two months later they dissapeared from the menu.

is a milkshake a drink or a desert?

Cask

Fledgling Freddie
Actually I'd vote that it is a desert as it should contain milk and ice cream. Chocolate milk would be a drink. I'm still waiting for my chocolate milk tap to be installed.

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
Obviously a drink...its a drink in mcdonalds along side coke and what not at no extra cost.

And biscuits must be the crunch thing because jaffa cakes...are cakes apparantly and they're spongy.

TdC

Will said:
Drink. Your company sucks. ;)

heh, the restaurant management sucks :) the company sucks too, but to a lesser extent. I'm not pleased with my work today at all. why are people so shit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom