Who reported my name?

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
Ages n ages ago, when the game was young, stupid names used to irritate me - remember having a gentle dig at Andrex about it (decent player, long since gone) but now some of the wittier ones throw up some light hearted amusement.

Regard warks post, well I wouldnt quite state it as strongly as he did, but I do think there is a difference between overtly offensive names (generally those that have racist connotations or are strongly mysoginistic and/or have specific reference to sexual violence) and just the daft ones, though obviously there is no black and white in this (no pun intended) and there is no easy line to draw, which is why its not surprising that GoA take the reasonable line that if somebody complains about a name then it is has caused someone offense and should therefore be changed - hard to come up with any other way to administer it imo.

On a seperate but kinda related topic - my real real pet hate is people using 'rape' in conversations - that offends me and I think it doesnt do the gaming community any favours at all. I'd discourage people from using it, though ive used it once myself, just almost accidently - the daoc lingo becomes infectious.

Azonic

Loyal Freddie
The grammar is SO appauling you dont need to read over it. Count how many full stops there are. By the end I was almost out of breath trying to read it so no idea of what you were banging on about but gl with it.
Oh and technically scot is short for scottish and some people do find that offensive. So calling your char scot or 'the scot' instead of scotish might be offensive.

Azonic

Loyal Freddie
On a seperate but kinda related topic - my real real pet hate is people using 'rape' in conversations - that offends me and I think it doesnt do the gaming community any favours at all. I'd discourage people from using it, though ive used it once myself, just almost accidently - the daoc lingo becomes infectious.

Never thought about it, to me it just means I got owned real bad, ie omg that fg hibs just raped me :( But can see why people might find it offensive if they actually knew someone who had been raped.

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
i do have a sence of humour and generally if i see somthing that might offend the majority i warn the player saying "dont you think your last might be seen as offensive" .

(did that to someone who had TheRapist as a last name)

Just because you arnt offended by somthing doesnt meant that other people wont be offended.

So dont be surprised if you pick a risky last name or first name that someone doesnt find offence too it.

And you got to admit creating a character calling it the ChildAbuser is very very wrong.

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
Whats amusing is that players who make these offensive names seem genuinely surprised when they get changed. Here's a naming guide:

"Whats wrong with naming my SB Rumpypumpy Hayroller?"

Nothing wrong with that, it's a bit silly, but not offensive.

"Whats wrong with naming my SB Nobjockey Croaker?"

Nothing really wrong with that, again it's a bit silly and suggestive, but it's not exactly offensive.

"Whats wrong with naming my SB Adolfhitler Holocoptorzzz?"

Please place your genitals in a car door and slam shut repeatedly to remove the 0.001% chance you have of reproducing and tainting the gene pool.

Inso

One of Freddy's beloved
The grammar is SO appauling you dont need to read over it. Count how many full stops there are. By the end I was almost out of breath trying to read it so no idea of what you were banging on about but gl with it.
Oh and technically scot is short for scottish and some people do find that offensive. So calling your char scot or 'the scot' instead of scotish might be offensive.

AFAIK Häagen-Dazs is a registered trademark. So that would also be against the CoC?

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
You will find its Donkeh like from shrek the movie.

donkey is still a slang for penis and could offend whatever it may derive from. pussy means cat as well, but it also means the female genitalia (i remember Ireec ofPussy he could be smelling of cat but it got changed to Ofair)

Durrell

Fledgling Freddie
in what country is donkeh slang for penis?

the last i heard it was slapping my MONKEY which is what you seem to do alot of huntington

if its racist kick it out no room for it here or in real life and if people take action against the bigots then all the better and they get my support and vote

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
donkey is still a slang for penis and could offend whatever it may derive from. pussy means cat as well, but it also means the female genitalia (i remember Ireec ofPussy he could be smelling of cat but it got changed to Ofair)

On what backward imaginary chav-planet is Donkey slang for penis? I know hundreds of slang words for the schlong, but never that one.

DAoC does not enforce sensible names as other mmorpg's do, but blatantly offensive names should not be tollerated by the GM's or the community as it demeans the game as a whole.

Ireec OfPussy is offensive, no question about the intention of the use of the word pussy in that context. Had he named the toon Ireec Hammersong for example (or other similar) then I guarantee the toon would still be named Ireec. The player is blatantly using the name Ireec to emulate "I reek", the name Ireec on it's own should not be offensive to anyone. As the player intends to use it thusly, the GM's are right to change it, otherwise they would be changing his last name every time he thinks of a new thing to smell of :)

If the guy's name was Donkey Abuser then the GM's would probably change both names because it is his intention to use it to make offensive names. Donkey on it's own is not offensive to anyone.

A Donkey is a beast of burden, similar to a mule (or an ass ;)). Until it is obviously being used to emulate something untoward by being coupled with a second name which changes the context of the entire name to mean something offensive, it is not offensive in itself.

Would you change a characters name if it was "Rodger" or "Dick", both of which are normal and common English first-names which have sexual connitations? I'd like to think not.

Jupiter

Fledgling Freddie
A Donkey is a beast of burden, similar to a mule (or an ass ;)). Until it is obviously being used to emulate something untoward by being coupled with a second name which changes the context of the entire name to mean something offensive, it is not offensive in itself.

Where i come from if u call somebody a donkey u imply they are incompetent, a fool or somebody who does the hard work.

And yes donkey does have sexual conictations

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
lol find it funny in this day in age that how u all seem to get offended so easy due to the fact of a few names, example some one for pakistan is a pakistanie short paki like england there english, scotland.... scottish, it goes on and on i have lots of black/ethnic origin m8s and they can take a joke aswell as joking about be yet we feel when were white all we wont when go abroad is to get a suntan, now if i called my charc a pakie i would be racist but if i called him scottish or even english it wodent so were is the line drawn thats not crossable if there trying to hit the racist comment then what about folk names after all places & countries (not just ethnic) then that should all be classed as racist comment i feel not just 2wards the white community aswell as the black... i had to change a name of mine FCUK which is french connection UK had to change it cos it sound to like fuck yet my 10 year old brother can wear it to skool whats this world commming to that i cand call a pakistanie a pakie

sorry about spelling grammer as im in work can had be arsed reading over it all get my jist

Its all about context and society and subsociety. Words carry with them historical baggage, it is this baggage and the context that go together to make the word perceived as offensive. So uigger is offensive when used by non afro-caribeans because of historical associations with slavery, and paki carries similiar baggage. Also the offensiveness of those words is self fullfilling - they are used to offend, and hence are offensive - the meaning is conveyed purely by the use. But then the curious thing is that they can be used within subsocieties to demonstrate inclusiveness - so some afrocarribeans call each other uigger - I guess its because the word is so shocking, then to use it when referring to ones friend shows a high level of trust, understanding and acceptance - like I say - context.

Obviously there must be entire doctorates based around that discussion.

But its all a moot point - if someone is genuinely offended then it is offensive - and goa have no option but to act - its the only yardstick they can reasonably use.

My position is that i'm not offended by anything so much to complain about it personally (well not that ive seen - and that isnt a challenge!), but Warks example the therapist and the child abuse thing - well he was right to bring that to the attention of the people concerned I think.

And again on the pretty hateful 'rape' terminology that has crept in, it really makes me cringe hearing it used when there are lasses in the group - dont know how we can expect to encourage (or keep) female players with that sort of slang flying around - though in the current climate, i guess that to is a moot point.

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
Where i come from if u call somebody a donkey u imply they are incompetent, a fool or somebody who does the hard work.

I have also heard the word Donkey apportioned to that meaning, it is not in the slightest bit offensive.

And yes donkey does have sexual conictations

Read what I posted, cba to restate my point again, as Crom says, it's all about context :)

Azonic

Loyal Freddie
Meow....MEEEOOOOWWWW it's the care police.

care.jpg

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
<snip>

I hear more people about that, but although rape is mostly used for the sexual act, it means more than that.
rape: Definition, Synonyms and Much More from Answers.com
The definition of rape doesn't limit itself to the sexual act, so it can quite validly be used in other conversations...

from the oxford:
AskOxford: rape<sup>1</sup>

Agrigo

Can't get enough of FH
Meow....MEEEOOOOWWWW it's the care police.

My first quote by gamah :D

Anyhows it seems i cant project jokes over the internet in any good way, shape or form, so ill just say I was joking :>

Nate

FH is my second home
Just go and get drunk will you, here have a Guinness :D

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
I hear more people about that, but although rape is mostly used for the sexual act, it means more than that.
rape: Definition, Synonyms and Much More from Answers.com
The definition of rape doesn't limit itself to the sexual act, so it can quite validly be used in other conversations...

from the oxford:
AskOxford: rape<sup>1</sup>

That is largely irrelevant, many words have obscure definitions, we all know what its primary association is, and anyone hearing it used on voice comms and via text mediums will not be picking up the oed or googling it on answers.com. :rolleyes:

Its an ugly word, and I really don't like the way its found its way into general usage - and it can only serve to put off female gamers.

Are you happy to use it around female gamers you don't know well?

I recognise there is a double standard here, and there is a seperate discussion to be had about why i (or others) dont think using 'murder' or 'killed' in game are equally as bad - but I dont. And note - I dont find it personally offensive,I just think it is very distastefull to use it in mixed company just to refer to having pwned someone in game. Thats me, and undoubtedly others, and you wont change my mind on this, all I hope is that I can maybe make people think before using it as there are so many alternatives available that wont perhaps risk alienating some gamers uneccessarily

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
That is largely irrelevant, many words have obscure definitions, we all know what its primary association is, and anyone hearing it used on voice comms and via text mediums will not be picking up the oed or googling it on answers.com. :rolleyes:
Its primary association is different to everyone, but the origins of the word is the seizure of property. It now also means to ruin something, like rappers raping those good 80's tunes in their new unoriginal crap. Someone hearing it on voice communications would most likely interpret it in a certain way because it was said in a certain way.

Yes, women being raped is a terrible thing, but so is cancer, so is aids, so are hundreds of other things. Should we all not use any of those words anymore? That's undoable, and insensible, because we'd substitude the word for something else, and before you know it, the new word is tainted aswell, thus will be taken out aswell. If that goes on there comes a time when you cannot use any word at all anymore.

Its an ugly word, and I really don't like the way its found its way into general usage - and it can only serve to put off female gamers.
You find it an ugly word. That's a whole lot different from it being an ugly word. The word itself isn't ugly. The way it is used can be.

Are you happy to use it around female gamers you don't know well?
Depending on the circumstances. I wouldn't just start shouting rape without context or reason. That indeed is offensive. If however it's an appropriate word to use for an occurance, like for instance that the rainforests are being raped by the lumbercompanies... I would yeah.

I recognise there is a double standard here, and there is a seperate discussion to be had about why i (or others) dont think using 'murder' or 'killed' in game are equally as bad - but I dont. And note - I dont find it personally offensive,I just think it is very distastefull to use it in mixed company just to refer to having pwned someone in game. Thats me, and undoubtedly others, and you wont change my mind on this, all I hope is that I can maybe make people think before using it as there are so many alternatives available that wont perhaps risk alienating some gamers uneccessarily
This issue, this double standard is in your mind, and are your feelings. You cannot expect everyone else to feel thesame. It's not the word that does it. It's the way it's used.
If a certain word is being used as a personal insult, or as discrimination in general... Yeah, you can be offended. If it's just used as a valid means of communication... Any offence you might experience is yours to deal with.

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
Its primary association is different to everyone, but the origins of the word is the seizure of property. It now also means to ruin something, like rappers raping those good 80's tunes in their new unoriginal crap. Someone hearing it on voice communications would most likely interpret it in a certain way because it was said in a certain way.

Yes, women being raped is a terrible thing, but so is cancer, so is aids, so are hundreds of other things. Should we all not use any of those words anymore? That's undoable, and insensible, because we'd substitude the word for something else, and before you know it, the new word is tainted aswell, thus will be taken out aswell. If that goes on there comes a time when you cannot use any word at all anymore.

You find it an ugly word. That's a whole lot different from it being an ugly word. The word itself isn't ugly. The way it is used can be.

Depending on the circumstances. I wouldn't just start shouting rape without context or reason. That indeed is offensive. If however it's an appropriate word to use for an occurance, like for instance that the rainforests are being raped by the lumbercompanies... I would yeah.

This issue, this double standard is in your mind, and are your feelings. You cannot expect everyone else to feel thesame. It's not the word that does it. It's the way it's used.
If a certain word is being used as a personal insult, or as discrimination in general... Yeah, you can be offended. If it's just used as a valid means of communication... Any offence you might experience is yours to deal with.

You havent really raised anything new there, though I do think you are fundamentally wrong on a few points.

Firstly about its primary association being different to everyone, I actually think its pretty much the same for everyone, and i'd be willing to bet that if you asked 10 people in your office what the primary meaning of rape was, then you'd get 10 answers all the same.

Secondly your point regarding words like cancer and aids I dont find relevant - i'll leave you to come up with your own thoughts as to the differences, and so I'll not pursue a response to that in any depth.

Regarding points made towards the end, well I agree, but i'm really discussing this purely within the context of DAOC, and communicating with others in game and very specifically its common usage to indicate you beat people in an rvr fight. In this very specific gaming context it's an ill considered word to use, that carries with it all the connotations of its primary meaning and will do so to people newly experiencing its usage in game.

We can argue all day about the ins and outs of wordage, interpretation, and double standards - as I outlined, I am not myself offended to a high degree when I encounter its usage, it just makes me cringe for other people in the group, especially when there are women in there as well - it is likely to alienate some players.

If you want to debate whether or not it does risk alienating some players then that may be a useful discussion, but we are both aware of the difficulties of attaching the idea of what words cause offense and which dont, as you can garner from my previous posts in this thread about the subject.

Interesting debate though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom